Author Topic: Outside the city  (Read 1137 times)

Masamune

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Outside the city
« on: June 09, 2002, 06:56:26 pm »
You can climb up one of the towers and jump outside the gates... problem is, you cant get back in  :(
Anyone know how to get back in?

And once you go to far out, the game crashes aswell. heres a pic:

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
/spawn
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 12:50:49 am »
... and I like your sig pic :)

Ozzie

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 04:51:08 am »
Which tower?  :D

O_o |  o_O

Moblie Armoured Nintendo

Masamune

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 04:32:08 pm »
I honestly dont know, my first time playing i did this so im clueless... and thx, i like the pic too :P

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 05:08:17 pm »
I believe teh reason it crashed masasume is that you card just couldnt handle it ^^...

From what I gather there is no clipping plane implemented and theres no fog or LOD (level of detail) and maybe no backface culling, which are all systems for reducing teh visable amount of polygons on screen beyond a particular distance. You where visably viewing teh entire city in one screen... not to mention the number of simultaniouse textures as well you would be viewing. Clipping planes are teh number one system along with Back Face culling that give the best results in increaseing FPS and reducing any given onscreen polygon count. LOD would only be used on player models and non world geometry since you wouldnt want to be walking along and having houses in teh distance morphing and warping from the ground up into houses, just doesnt look very convincing ^^.

The team realy needs to code a clipping plane, and maybe even a variable clipping plane that can be pushed back by the player or even brought closer to allow teh players to get teh optimal FPS they can out of teh engine.

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 05:10:53 pm »
then again you propably just went out to far and the engine couldnt figure out where you went ^^ (beyond what its told is the exceptable limit) and had a nervouse break down.

Masamune

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 08:49:16 pm »
ok thx... but i still dont know how to get back in  ;(

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2002, 09:58:25 pm »
Masamune: typing /spawn should do it...

Bigfoot: Okay, if I understand everything correctly (and jorrit will probably correct me if I\'m wrong, as I\'ve seen him comment elsewhere in this forum... :P) Crystal Space uses portals to reduce the number of polygons that are considered that don\'t need to be. Of course, that depends heavily on the specific level... Clipping planes and backface culling are both optional in Crystal Space... check out the site, if you\'re interested... crystal.sf.net
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 09:58:55 pm by David_HD »

Masamune

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2002, 10:04:49 pm »
thx

Anath

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 12:20:07 pm »
Ok, I got outside also, but I didnt have any problems. I even went all the way to the end of the walk way where it met the edge of the world.
I found it rather funny to turn around and see an almost perfectly sq world :p That far out you can see where everything stops, curves, ect... I liked it though, really rather odd.