Author Topic: sick of crashing at 'initializing world'?  (Read 595 times)

drulain

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
sick of crashing at 'initializing world'?
« on: August 12, 2002, 07:26:56 am »
ok, check this out...

i was having troubles with the \'psclient\' crashing right after \'initializing world\'.  it\'s not still loading either.  a lot of ppl post this problem but no one seems to have a good answer, just \'wait for it to finish loading.  i tried a bunch of stuff and now it works.  i\'m not sure, but here\'s what i think did the trick for me.

1.  i\'m on windows xp, so i clicked on the games properties and set the compatibility for win 98.

2.  my roommates and i have our pewters networked thru a router.  ppl who know how to mess with the settings on their firewall/router should be able to figure out how to bypass this.  my router has a \'dmz\' feature, which will let me put one computer outside of the firewall.  a better way to handle this problem would be to figure out which port(s) the game needs access to and set it up (i had to deal with something similar while setting up webcam).  perhaps the developers can elaborate on the ports and firewall situation.

if you have a router/firewall, try messing with it.  open your browser and for the address type http://192.168.0.1   this is the usual address for routers.  default login/password is usually \'admin\'

i\'m having trouble with the lag, but that seems to be common i guess.  i hope this changes soon.  if you see an elf walking around town really really slowly, say hi.