Author Topic: 'Black Screen of Death' [Solved..ish]  (Read 600 times)

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
'Black Screen of Death' [Solved..ish]
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:39:28 am »
I recently installed Vista and upgraded the RAM on my computer, PlaneShift worked like a dream. Then I upgraded my graphics card to an nVidia GeForce 8600GT. I am now getting a pitch black screen in the PlaneShift Client window, updater window and the setup window. I can however hear the background music at the login screen and I can log into the game by pressing Enter or clicking where the buttons should be. Basically the client is working, but I can't see a thing.

Specifications:

Processor: AMD Athlon 3200+ (2.0GHz)
RAM: 2GB
Graphics Card: GeForce 8600GT (512MB)

As far as the internet and the manual will tell me, the card does support OpenGL. And I've always been under the impression that upgrading is good for your computer :D.

Thanks in advance for any help
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:26:01 pm by Suvok »
Confusion is always the most honest response

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
Re: 'Black Screen of Death'
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:39:01 am »
tried getting the most recent driver from nvidia? also... i've heard theres some updates on vista that are a must for geforce cards so get that system updated to max if you havn't.

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
Yes. I meant to say that in the first post. Latest drivers for all.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:28:04 am »
 :offtopic: Nice to see your at least still around Suvok, we have to do something about out time zones tho..I never see you around :( get that fixed so I can pick the old man!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:53:54 am by Izzabella »

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:03:30 am »
Oh. I've just tried PlaneShift on XP in Virtual PC. Of course, Virtual PC doesn't support hardware acceleration but I did manage to get into PlaneShift, Setup and Updater without the black screen. Just the extremely colourful, blocky and laggy graphics you get with no hardware acceleration. I'm installing XP on dual boot today so I'll post how PlaneShift works on that, providing someone doesn't come up with a miraculous answer to my problems by then.

@Izzabella: Look like I'll have to emigrate to a timezone that suits you then :D

Thanks for the help so far.

----edit----

It worked on XP. And when I was back in Vista I found out that I can play PlaneShift when the Aero theme is disabled. Partially solved :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:25:33 pm by Suvok »

Zhaxor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: 'Black Screen of Death' [Solved..ish]
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:32:04 am »
I have Vista Ultimate and Nvidia 8600GT and it's ran fine ever since I got it, there must be sorme sort of driver issue. This is my driver version, which one do you have? 7.15.11.6375

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
Re: 'Black Screen of Death' [Solved..ish]
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:41:02 am »
Yes. The same driver. It's been installed since the problem first occured.

However I can use PlaneShift now, I've just changed the compatibilty settings to disable Aero while it is running. Help is not urgently needed now. Thanks for the help though.