Author Topic: Cannot start the game  (Read 1421 times)

Hellsinger

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Cannot start the game
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:12:29 pm »
Hello,

I'm having problems with launching the game. Settings - screen works ok, after pushing play - button blank screen flashes and .exe shuts down.

In the error log there are messages about missing/cannot open several .png files.

Win 7 64 bit / ATI Radeon 5880 / 16gb ram / i5

Tried:

- Run as admin
- 32 bit version
- Repair
- Different gfx-settings

to no avail.

Any suggestions on how to get the game working?

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot start the game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:04:31 pm »
Is your machine plugged in?
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:11:21 am »
see if there are any other skins available, the one you are defaulting to may not be valid if you had a previous version installed

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:53:18 am »
The log mentioning a few PNG files not being loadable is irrelevant. For several years now. The really relevant reasons why the application crashed are not logged there.

PlaneShift requires OpenGL as 3D graphics API. You should not rely on Microsoft graphic drivers installed by the Windows Installation DVD or Microsoft Update, they implement Direct3D but hardly OpenGL. Instead, install the most recent complete graphic drivers from the manufacturer of your graphic card or from AMD, the manufacturer of the ATI graphic chips.

Furthermore, it may help to disable "Full screen" mode, and select first an aspect ratio and then a resolution which is close to, but below your screen resolution. So you may be able to see better at which stage the initialization fails when the monitor does not need to switch to a full screen mode (which it might not even support if you accidently chose a wrong one).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:59:49 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Hellsinger

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:05:32 am »
Thank you for your reply.

However, running 13.4 Catalyst, so gfx driver is fairly new and tried also lower resolutions than my default screen resolution (and higher also).

Haven't noticed any initialization messages (other than update... with --console).

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:20:48 am »
It happened to me a few times that there was no skin selected in the launcher. Which of course rersults in instant crash. Did you check this?

Hellsinger

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:33:16 am »
Tried with both Elves - and Minimatuux - skins.

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:07:28 am »
Maybe you try to start from pslaunch? For me, this never worked. If this is so, run "psclient" instead.

Good luck!
Glad to meet you :)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:15:25 am »
Hi

First: I like that you did and mentioned your debugging steps.
To me, it also smells like a problem with the graphic driver. In pslaunch, I would turn everything off and set the dropdowns to medium.
As additional idea, doublecheck that openal is installed or deactivate the sound in pslaunch.

.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Hellsinger

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:09:25 pm »
Pslaunch and psclient or no sound and everything off / medium / lowest gfx - settings didn't help.

Is there a way to log the game start so I could have some hint on what crashes?

bilbous

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:06 pm »
I think there is a --verbose parameter you can pass on the command line. It goes along well with  --console.

Hellsinger

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 03:10:28 pm »
Any way to log the --verbose - results to .txt - file (tried with > - operator from command line)?

bilbous

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »
There must be in windows, but I can't remember how, might be a good addition to the cfg file I did see an errorlog file in the base directory, perhaps that could shed some light.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 04:12:45 am »
The main problem with the Windows version is that a new console window is created which cannot be redirected.

You would have to resize this new console window to the maximum and choose a small font, so you can highlight most of the content by dragging the mouse over the output after enabling it in the system menu [Alt+Space], then copy the highlighted area by pressing Enter, and paste the copied content into a pastebin service in the web.

P.S.: I wonder if PlaneShift might have issues with a choice between CPU internal intel graphics and the additional ATI graphics; is that a possible reason of trouble with Core i5?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

bilbous

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 11:18:37 am »
you can use the > operator in windows 7 if you are already in a command line shell. You do not seem to need to use the --console parameter, it seems to be counter-productive now.

I used "C:\Program Files (x86)\PlaneShift\pslaunch.exe" --verbose > test.txt and it created a file nicely in my home directory. I could have invoked the command in some other directory if I had specified it explicitly or changed from the home directory before running the command.