Author Topic: Updater Quitting  (Read 1049 times)

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
Updater Quitting
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:52:14 pm »
When I try to update PS with the launcher, it gets to 100%, but then it quits. I've tried doing this about ten times now AND I've quit all other applications, and it still does the same thing. What should I do?

bilbous

Re: Updater Quitting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »
mine seems to have stalled after downloading win64/pslaunch.exe.
PSlaunch a second time. I clicked on the Cancel button which was the only one visible and it seems to be ok to run now.

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »
I had the same problem.  I used the task manager and PS was running but apparently stalled.  Closing it allowed the update to run as it should the next time I ran it.

Shafaragorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »
I'm having this same problem, but closing it and trying again doesn't seem to be helping any. Any other suggestions?

Edit: It worked after I restarted my computer.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:17:23 am by Shafaragorn »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:48:48 am »
I did not have any similar issues, no crash. The Win64 version of the launcher updated itself and restarted to a second run. My only issue is that it does not finish after trying for the third time, so I have to click "Cancel" instead of "OK", not being certain if I would interrupt an important step when doing so. Created PS#6387.

Good to know that it worked for you after rebooting; it is possible that any other process (e.g. an antivirus service) locked the new executables so long that the launcher got confused in its logic.
__

P.S.: PSLaunch still does not delete the ZIP archives after completing the update. PS#5637
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:09:00 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:51 am »
Oh yeah, and it might be useful to know that I use a mac. I'm sorry that I forgot to add that before.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »
I'm on a macBook late 2010 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8: here the update was "almost" straightforward. The first time the updater crashed after downloading the pslaunchmacosx.zip so I uncompressed the archive manually substituting the pslaunch.app and the folders art and data. This is wrong, since doing that creates just 2 folders containing only the files required by the launcher. So I opened the Plainshift-v0.6.0.dmg image that I downloaded time ago and I substituted the art and data folders again. In this way the launcher asked me to update again and the update was flawlessly: no crashes! When finished updating everything I closed the launcher. Just to be sure then I opened it again checking with a repair if everything was ok and all files passed the MD5 checksum.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:11:42 pm by Jawir »

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:53:50 pm »
I'm on a macBook late 2010 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8: here the update was "almost" straightforward. The first time the updater crashed after downloading the pslaunchmacosx.zip so I uncompressed the archive manually substituting the pslaunch.app and the folders art and data. This is wrong, since doing that creates just 2 folders containing only the files required by the launcher. So I opened the Plainshift-v0.6.0.dmg image that I downloaded time ago and I substituted the art and data folders again. In this way the launcher asked me to update again and the update was flawlessly: no crashes! When finished updating everything I closed the launcher. Just to be sure then I opened it again checking with a repair if everything was ok and all files passed the MD5 checksum.

I use a macbook air version 10.8.5. Could the method you used work for that? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you gave me step by step instructions on how to do it. Thanks!

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »
Hi Demagul, sorry for the late reply. I think it's not exactly the same thing between our OS versions, anyway the steps I did, mistake included are:
1) Start PSLauncher;
2) When asked to update say yes;
3) The launcher starts its update routine;
4) When finished to download the pslaunchmacosx.zip it crashes;
5) Then I go to the installation folder (mine is Applications/PlaneShift);
6) Extract by double clicking the pslaunchmacosx.zip: a folder is created (I can't remember the name... probably it was named Planshift) containing pslaunch.app and art and data folders;
7) Here is the mistake I did: those 2 folders (art and data exctracted in the previous step) just contain the files needed only by the launcher, not the whole planeshift installation. So I overwrited the new pslaunch.app and the data and art folders to the original ones by dragging the extracted files out of the folder created during the pslaunchmacosx.zip unzipping;
8) Now if you try to execute the pslauncher it will stall;
9) Kill the process;
10) Open the old PlaneShift-v0.6.0.dmg; (yes I did it because I kept it from a previous download)
11) Select the art and data folders contained in the PlaneShift-v0.6.0.dmg and drag them into your planeshift installation directory so you have all the files (even if outdated) needed to run the launcher again. As you can see I don't overwrite the updated pslaunch.app with the previous contained into the dmg file;
12) Start again the launcher: it will say it needs to be updated;
13) Start updating again: here everything should go fine until the end of the update;
14) To be sure, after the process ends, quit the launcher;
15) Start again the launcher (now it's updated so it shouldn't ask you to update) and do a repair;
16) If everything has gone fine as in my case, the launcher should inform you that all files passed the MD5 checksum;

I hope this guide can help you to get in game as soon as possible!  :) :) :)