Author Topic: Game crashes after I click play  (Read 1302 times)

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Game crashes after I click play
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »
I have installed & uninstalled several times. I tried both mirror & torrent. I am now trying 32 bit torrent download. After this I will give up.  The game crashes after clicking play. It loads the start screen in the training area & crashes there. I want to play the game but this is ridiculous. I have cleaned & updated my drivers & comp.
My system is: Windows 7, Intel Core i3 cpu 540 @ 3.07 GHz 3.06 GHz
4.00 (3.87) usable memory
 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520.

Please help........

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes after I click play
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »
Update...
 I still have the same problem. I have also tried running as admin, no difference. I have read through everything here & some of it may as well be another language. I am at a loss as to what to do now. :(

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:31 pm »
Are you familiar with irc?
If so, try going into freenode then then /join #planeshift-gmtalk or #planeshift and see if you can get a gm to move your character. From what you are describing, it sounds like the client crashes as soon as it loads the world.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:33 am »
Hi Katyana, this crash is very weird because you are using a very compatible system. I'm using a 64 bit Windows 7 and an nVidia GPU too and I never had troubles. Where you able to play the game in the past? If yes, what changed from that time? What are the options you configured into the launcher?
Mine are:
  • enable full screen not checked
  • skin elves
  • texture quality highest
  • Particles High
  • Enable Grass not checked
  • Enable weather checked
  • Enable Shadows not checked
  • Enable Bloom not checked
  • Enable HDR not checked
  • Color Depth 32 bit
  • Anti Alias 4xQ
  • Anisotropic filtering 16x
  • Loader Cahe not cheked (but I'm pretty sure it works with this checked too)
  • Background Loading World
  • Enable VBO not checked
  • Sound Enabled and set to OpneAL

I hope this can help you!  :)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:01:52 am »
Have you tried running psclient directly and not clicking Play from pslaunch?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:04:21 am »
There are particle effects in the tutorial area, and with this new client (0.6.1) if I have VBO=OFF in the graphics settings in PSlaunch I get times when I always crash when near these effects (spells, smoke, flames etc..) For me when I turned VBO=ON in the settings all my crashes immediately stopped. There have been a few other players who have said this worked for them, so this bug is very rare but it might help you.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:24:35 am »
Also check you're ACTUALLY using the 64 bit client, not the 32 bit one. I think, with all we've said, that you will be able to finally play!

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:26:10 pm »
Hi Katyana, this crash is very weird because you are using a very compatible system. I'm using a 64 bit Windows 7 and an nVidia GPU too and I never had troubles. Where you able to play the game in the past? If yes, what changed from that time? What are the options you configured into the launcher?
Mine are:
  • enable full screen not checked
  • skin elves
  • texture quality highest
  • Particles High
  • Enable Grass not checked
  • Enable weather checked
  • Enable Shadows not checked
  • Enable Bloom not checked
  • Enable HDR not checked
  • Color Depth 32 bit
  • Anti Alias 4xQ
  • Anisotropic filtering 16x
  • Loader Cahe not cheked (but I'm pretty sure it works with this checked too)
  • Background Loading World
  • Enable VBO not checked
  • Sound Enabled and set to OpneAL

I hope this can help you!  :)

I have done everything on this list. I have also tried running from psclient. I have never been able to play. I have spent much of the last two days trying to play this game. The current download is 32 bit. I tried the others & played with the settings with them as well. I don't understand. I can play Lord of rings, Elder Scrolls(all) & several other online boring games. I even changed it so my firewall allows PS.

Pierre

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
I had a problem like this.  If you have already tried my solution, please disregard (and sorry!).

I would download the game, open the .dmg file, place the app in my folder and then run it.  Never successfully.

I had to eject the .dmg file I had opened and then delete it.  Only after doing would I go to open the app for the first time.

Let me know if that works, I hope it does, and hope you are still around and reading...

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:58:45 pm »
I had a problem like this.  If you have already tried my solution, please disregard (and sorry!).

I would download the game, open the .dmg file, place the app in my folder and then run it.  Never successfully.

I had to eject the .dmg file I had opened and then delete it.  Only after doing would I go to open the app for the first time.

Let me know if that works, I hope it does, and hope you are still around and reading...

Please explain this more clearly for me. I am not all that technical.

Pierre

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 08:31:11 pm »
My exact fix:
Delete the game from my system.
Download it fresh.
Double click on the downloaded file, Planeshift.dmg (or something close to this).
Drag the Planeshift app (that appears when opening the downloaded file from previous step) to my Applications folder.
Wait for it to transfer.
Then delete the Planeshift.dmg file (I have to unmount it then delete, but however you get rid of a file on windows 7, do it).
Now I have a Planeshift folder in my Applications folder.  Go into the Planeshift folder and double click on the psclient (not pslaunch, don't mess with any settings, just open up the game).
This worked for me.

What didn't work for me is opening the game when the Planeshift.dmg file was still there.

Does it help?

Edit:  Try using direct download and not torrent.  This should not matter I think, but it is what I did.

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 09:09:12 pm »
Where is my application folder? My  file .exe not .dmg

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:40:29 pm by katyana »

bilbous

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 11:35:06 pm »
c:\Program Files (x86)\PlaneShift\

You might want to make sure that openal is installed. In the control panel choose "programs and features" and look for it there. if it is not installed you will need to install it.

Pierre's advice may not help much because he is on a mac.

katyana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 01:16:19 am »
Openal is installed. I figured he had mac. I uninstalled everything, reinstalled & saved it in my documents instead of programs. I also made sure VBO is on. It worked!!!! yeah!! Now I am tired and need to go to bed. But I will have fun with it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

cerinity Mapletree

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »
try puting the shader option on very low i bet if u do that the crashes stop