Author Topic: Game keeps failing  (Read 975 times)

JontomXire

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Game keeps failing
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:50 am »
I tried to create a character.  I got told the server was not responding and given some URL I cannot remember (server status link on homepage would be a good idea) and then the client exited/crashed. It would be a good idea to have the client not exit, to allow for retries without losing progress.

This repeated several times.

My friend who cares less about attention to detail than me managed to actually create a character - and then got server not available. On something like his 6th attempt (I was still on my third) he actually managed to get into the game! Amazing! He had time to experiment with the movement keys and discover that there is no mouse look feature (Huh? Really? Not sure how I'll ever manage to play this game without using mouse and keyboard in conjunction) before he got...wait for it...server not responding.

I have a good (not truly great) internet connection. The wife and I used to raid in WoW while using TeamSpeak at the same time. We play Rift while using Mumble at the same time. I can stream movies in decent quality. It's a pretty good (but not great) connection. I don't think there is a problem with my connection. Server ping was reported at a little over 90 peaking to a little over 130.

So we won't be playing this game - not because we think it isn't any good, but simply...because we can't.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Game keeps failing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:23 am »
Hi JontomXire,

indeed, a big bold link to this page http://planeshift.teamix.org/ would be a good thing...
Your connection problem sounds really odd, certainly not a typical behaviour for the PS server.
Is it possible that your connection has tiny interruptions that trigger the timeout? Maybe someone else with more technical knowledge has more suggestions.

Mouselook? Of course the game has it! Might be that someone set weird default configurations. Try hitting <tab> to change to mouselook. If that doesn't work, check in ingame options via <o>.

Best
Minks

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:44 am »
There is a problem in character creation that causes one to crash. And when first loading afterward the client hangs so you need to close the window and relog. You should be in the tutorial then.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:37 am »
There seems to be a problem with bandwidth (processor or network, I'm not sure) as well. Things get really laggy at times and it may have been one of those times when you were trying to create your character. The current host can't seem to handle much more than 50 clients doing stuff at the same time. Given that the server capacity is donated I'm not sure what can be done.