Author Topic: windows 8.1 fool (me)  (Read 1138 times)

Rahab

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
windows 8.1 fool (me)
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:59:42 pm »
Greetings PS,

Ah, I am not sure how to explain or ask my question, but here goes.

I am NOT tech savvy any way.  I thought that I could try this RPG on my new laptop, a Dell w/ intel Core i7 processor (that's all I know about it at this point). I decided that I would try a free torrent app from the MS store (free version of Torrex).

I have no idea how to use torrent files ( No, I did not heed your warning). Meanwhile, after getting this app, I clicked on the 64-bit torrent download for windows. After about a half hour it apppeared to be done, and I found it in my downloads. Well, now to open the dang thing...and after some searching the net I think that I found out how to do that w/ some free download at file.org called Vuze.  I installed Vuze and then used it to open the PlaneShift torrent file...but, er, after I clicked install and saw the PlaneShift game screen, well, the screen went BLACK!

So, now the dilemma, of my own making, is that although I can restart my laptop and sign-in, the screen goes straight to black again. I can get to task manager, but it shows about fifty things running, and as I said in the beginning, I'm NOT tech savvy.  Not sure what to do to recover the use of my laptop.  I just wanted an RPG where I could "get away" from my incredibly stressful, real-life once in a while.  Ah well...

If anyone out there has pity on this fool, please respond here (at least I have my old Toshiba w/ windows 7 and some turtle-slow processor!).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you and perhaps someday, I'll join the community in character?

C.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: windows 8.1 fool (me)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:35 pm »
I am not much help, not being tech savvy myself, but in my trials and tribulations I found that intel drivers do not respond well at all to PS.  Those who helped me were not able to find a driver that read intel.  That doesn't  mean, however, that you shouldn't try! Other genuine techie will tell you other things to try: like turn down your graphics setting in the launch screen 'settings' tab, turn off your 'bloom' somewhere... turn your shadercache off... I will leave it to those who can talk this language to give better directions to you than I can.  They may also say "go to IRC and talk to a GM"  which can also be very difficult for those of us who don't speak such terminology and for those who don't have European systems.
BUT DON'T DESPAIR! There are others here who will help you!
Once you get in, I can help you figure stuff out- lots of us players can, and are happy to help new folks.  See you once you get in game- Good luck!
RR
Aka Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Rahab

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:09:14 pm »
Many thanks to you RR!  The Intel processor hm? Well, I should have known that this would not end well, since it is unlikely that I will be "upgrading" (spending $ for gaming), unless there are some clear and affordable answers. I am a complete novice and therefore, obnoxiously ignorant concerning gaming, software, hardware etc!

So then, I will await some further ideas or perhaps go to the "IRC and speak to a GM" ...which means I have some more reading to do!  Again, thank you kindly,
C.

Celroc Amaul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 02:12:51 am »
Hmm, the black screen is a bit odd.  It's just a guess, but I wonder if Vuze and/or Torrex are are starting automatically when you log into the computer (some programs do that) and for some reason causing a black screen.  If you can get to the Task Manager again, maybe look for a process like "vuze.exe" and try to end it to see if that helps any?

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:16 am »
If you don't know whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit, it's probably 32. Anyways, do check it out, I'm sure Saint Google patron of the misinformed will help you - because I can't, I have a Mac here. Anyways, google "how to know if I'm 32 bit". If you turn out to have a 32bit OS, well, I got bad news for you.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
[...] although I can restart my laptop and sign-in, the screen goes straight to black again.
That is, when you start the Planeshift client and login to the game server? If it is an issue with graphics drivers, then the trouble probably starts as soon as you go to character creation/selection. The usual advice is to get the latest drivers. Be sure to set shaders to lowest, and maybe it is more convenient if you play in windowed mode (instead of full screen, which is scary when it turns black). Both can be set using pslaunch.exe, along with some more graphics options you may want to lower.
EDIT: Just saw mishka's comment. A client compiled for 32 bit should work on a 64 bit machine, but not vice versa. So you could just try that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:15:20 am by Bonifarzia »

Rahab

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »
Well, I went into task manager again and didn't see Vuze.exe, so that doesn't seem to be the issue?  I do believe this is a 64 Bit model, so that shouldn't have been an issue. I wonder if drivers that were not up to date would lead to something like this?  Finally, no, I get the screen that shows the date, battery level and internet connection signal, I slide (touchscreen) the window upward and this brings me to the sign in/user page.  I can sign in and then...the blackness descends! Argh.

I will keep at it, and that may mean a trip to a PC guru...wherever they may be in my remote landscape!  Thank you all,
C.

Celroc Amaul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:03:28 pm »
Are you able to open any windows or programs when the screen goes to black?  After the screen goes black, trying typing Control Panel and pressing enter and see if it can open that up for you.  If it does, on the Control Panel window under Programs, there should be "Uninstall a Program."  Give that a click and then uninstall Vuze, Torrex, and PlaneShift and then reboot again. 

Hope this can help! :-)

Celroc A

CheatCat

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:25 am »
Yes, an outdated driver might lead to this issue. You need to know the model of the graphics card, search on "windows 8 graphics card model" or something. Once you know the model, look for drivers here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
The log file might be good. The folder that you installed plenshift might have logs or the application data folder, I am unsure.

Rahab

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:50 am »
As I began again, signing into my laptop, God is good and here before me was my windows screen with all of those "metro do-hickeys"...I have no idea why it has awakened this morning, but I am grateful.

I had planned to test the Control Panel maneuver suggested, but I see now that I can attempt to run PlaneShift and I am currently on the Login screen...now, I will dare tread farther with hopes that I don't again encounter the "black screen".

Thank you also for the link to search for drivers, and I believe I have found some help at a "geek shop", literally, Mainegeeks, and will probably pay to have them help me get this laptop/gaming hobby set-up in a safer, overall format (again, I am at a loss for the tech-talk vocabulary and hope not annoy those of you who have that gift!).  Thanks for your patience.

I'll let you know how my foray goes and hope to meet in Hydlaa Plaza!
C.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »
Hey! I am running this from an Intel tablet/laptop with integrated Intel graphics as well, so I know it can for sure be done! I also am running windows 8.1

One thing to do is just test out setting first. Make sure to start out with Medium settings, perhaps, and see if that works. If not, go to Low, and then Lowest. Sometimes Intel just has a hard time processing. Also, change the settings from fullscreen to nonfullscreen. Could help.

Let me know if this works at all for you....

And good luck!
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Rahab

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:08:43 pm »
Cairn, this is great news about your system!  I seem to have spoken too soon and after a quick lunch break, came back to find that the black screen had come back again.  After pressing any number of interesting key combinations (Caps Lock+F2, Windows+F11, F8, F1-F12, Shift, enter, Control Panel, Enter, and etc. for about 25 minutes!!!!!!), then using this old Toshiba to search for "real" workarounds and just not quitting, I found a tutorial that helped me get into safe mode and then troubleshoot and eventually I was able to choose "refresh my PC".  All of this means that I have my laptop "like new" with none of the apps or preferences that I had installed since I received it as a gift in December.  Wow. 

However, I admit feeling great trepidation regarding my own lack of tech skills and any new attempt at downloading/installing PS at this point.  Now I'm seriously considering the Mainegeeks I mentioned in hopes that I could have it done as a service by someone who has a clue! ;-) Hopefully by next week, after a trip to the urban nightmare, I may come home with PS ready to go on my Dell.

I'll post again when I have a better handle on all of this.

Again, my thanks to all of you here who have offered advice and encouragement; great community!

Godspeed,
C.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 05:02:02 am »
  All of this means that I have my laptop "like new" with none of the apps or preferences that I had installed since I received it as a gift in December.  Wow.
Ow, sorry to read that. So the black screen was not just the planeshift client getting screwed up, but your entire system? Mhm, maybe if you got annoyed by windows 8, this is an opportunity to switch to a linux operating system. That might help to keep trouble away from your machine and to save some resources. Though, it is probably much more convenient to keep the system you got used to.