Author Topic: Password Managers and Server Login  (Read 999 times)

archfrog

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Password Managers and Server Login
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:18 am »

Hi,

I stumbled across PlaneShift today and was immediately curious as I am running on Linux/x64 (Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon). 

I proceeded to download the game, got over the first few hurdles, and was then greeted by a login screen that will NOT accept pasted passwords.  I use a password manager (KeePassX for Linux, KeePass for Windows) and have over 500 passwords, none of which I know.  I always use copy-and-paste so that I don't have to know all sorts of passwords to all sorts of sites around the world.

Unfortunately, the PlaneShift launcher on Linux refuses to let me paste my password.  I am not about to change my splendid password habits just to satisfy PlaneShift.

So, please make it possible to paste a password into the Launcher's password field.

Also, you really ought to consider to revise the 5 or so security questions needed to get access to the forum.  I had to do multiple googles for "underground stalactite" to find the last answer.  Why scare people away even before they're gotten through the front door?  All IMHO :)  I was so close to dropping PlaneShift right there and I suspect quite a few do so.

P.S. While I'm jabbering, why aren't you guys on Github instead of SF?  SF is the slowest collaboration site in the world ;-)

Thank you in advance and NO OFFENSE intended :)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Password Managers and Server Login
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:05 am »
Hi archfrog and welcome to PS.
I'm pretty sure the password info (SHA256) is written to one of the config files, so it can be remembered. Maybe there is a way you can insert it there. Neeno's mods (see my signature) support copy/paste for chat, and some of those features are considered for inclusion in some future release, however, I never checked if the paste buffer also works for the password field.
Concerning git(hub), there is this topic: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=41990.0

EDIT: Good news.
First, PS Extended indeed allows to copy/paste (middle mouse) to the name and password fields of the login screen.
But you don't even need to use the client mod, you can just edit a config file.

In your PlaneShift user data, check this file:
Code: [Select]
~/.PlaneShift/planeshift.cfg
There should be a line similar to:
PlaneShift.Connection.Laanx server (Main).Password256 = 50d858e0985ecc7f60418aaf0cc5ab587f42c2570a884095a9e8ccacd0f6545c

In the above example, the password I tested was "example". The hash written by the PSclient was the same I got from the first hash generator page that the duck (or google) found. Now, I would not paste the actual password to just any web tool, but as you're using linux, there should be no problem to get your hash via the shell
echo -n mypassword | sha256sum
Hope that helps  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:14:21 am by Bonifarzia »