Author Topic: Would there be a way to download to DVD and then run on a different computer?  (Read 933 times)

Siskeava

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I've searched for my problem and can't seem to find the answer.

I want to start playing again on a new computer so will need to install the game.  However, I have a mobile broadband package (4G) which is limited to 20 GB for the month.

1.  Would I be able to download the game at a willing friend's house where there is an unlimited internet package, put it on a DVD and then install to my machine?

2.  How much internet data does say, an hour of play use?

Thank you in advance for your help.  I'd really like to give the game another go.  :)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile

1. Yes. A thumb drive / UBS stick might be easier to use.
2. Sorry, I don't know. Maybe someone else will.

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
1. As Rigwyn said might be easiest on a USB stick, but burning to a dvd is easy aswell.
2. The server uses about 110 to 240 kbit/s bandwidth on average per day, totalling 1-2 GB and that is for everyone to be on. So should not be a big issue for you having one client. I remember people talking about running game on dial up connection, which work but was just slow.

Hope this works would be good to get feedback on this for helping others.
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Siskeava

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Thank you very much Rigwyn & Tuathanach!

I'm not good with the + exponentials (much more familiar irl with -3 exponentials!).  The advertising giveaway USB stick in my handbag/ pocketbook would be just fine!

Better news though (for me) is that my irl better half has offered me 1 Gb of data to spend tomorrow that he doesn't need, so, I don't need to go down my initial question path! :D

Tuathanach, you're suggesting 396 to 864 kb per hour...  that might mean I have to limit my in game time and ration it over a month.  What I'll do is watch the modem and the data useage and try to post some numbers back to this thread to help anyone else that might be dealing with similar issues.  (I don't think there's too many areas of our real world with potential players who don't have access to fixed ADSL/ cable broadband though.)

Thanks again gentlemen!

*shivers*  I was last rescued violently from being stuck in a house wall in Ojeveda.....  What will I find in a new version of the game tomorrow?! 

(Edit was to correct Mb and Gb....   did I say I'm bad with +3 exponentials?)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:55:41 am by Siskeava »

Siskeava

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
This is just a quick update to say that when I was given the MB to use, after down-loading and playing a few hours, I used 1.06 Mb of data.  The old data usage seems to still hold.  :) 

I had grey/black screen issues so I have dropped to window mode and all the graphics cut down choices suggested.  I haven't tried to increase anything to see which one caused my problem.

I had a server failed issue.  I made my Avira anti-virus trust both the launcher and the updater at the 3bar vs the 1bar level.  Avira doesn't like planeshift as it doesn't  have some (I assume) expensive certificate.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help and I am enjoying being part of this project once again.  :)

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
Glad to see it is working for you. Thanks for the  information.  This is always useful.  :thumbup:
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord