Author Topic: bad memory = uncompletable quests  (Read 2649 times)

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
bad memory = uncompletable quests
« on: March 15, 2008, 03:42:31 am »
I have about 4 quests I can't do because I forgot what the NPC told me to go do/say and there is no way to get him to repeat the information to you. What we desperatly need is an "explain quest" dialogue option or possibly a much much much more detailed quest log box that has a list of everything the NPC's involved have said that relates to the quest. To save space, this list would be scrapped when the quest is completed.
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Doshot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: bad memory = uncompletable quests
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:24:22 am »
You can always use your quest log in-game to make your own notes regarding the quest. Fortunately you have two options you can use to rekindle the memory loss of what needs to be done in the quests.

1) All NPC chat is saved in a chat log file. These can be accessed as described in this topic

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=31895.0

You can then search the log for any keywords that pertains to the quest. This method will only work if you started the quest after the new update or you saved your chat logs from the previous version. If not then option 2 will work.

2) You create an alternative character that you can use to start the quest and see what needs to be done, then return to you main char and complete the quest. A good idea would be to complete the quest of your alt char as well, as you might use him again for other quests. Seeing as we are still working hard on fixing many quest bugs, an alt quest char is always a good plan :)

Just a note of caution, try not to have to many quests at the same time, as some of them require the same NPC and this will cause some headaches :)

Happy questing  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 05:50:44 am by Doshot »

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:29:04 am »
there are also meny i cannot do, one before SB over time the log got full and replaced older data and now evern more lost because of SB and not having the old logs at all

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:36:58 am »

Just a note of caution, try not to have to many quests at the same time, as some of them require the same NPC and this will cause some headaches :)

That bug should be fixed for this release, so try to test out taking a few quests and see how it works for you.

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »

That bug should be fixed for this release, so try to test out taking a few quests and see how it works for you.

Really?   So now I can get a little more usage out of my trips between Oja & BD?  Great! 

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:38:30 pm »
It's better than it was, CrazyYlian. But as with all things, it needs more testing. So feel free to take a bunch and help us out if you notice any problems with it.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
Tanner you CB files still exist on your HD unless you erased them. . .

bond304

• Traveller
  • Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:07:12 am »
Heres a good idea, though it only works once and depends from npc to npc
If you forget the information on the quest, just discard it and get a new quest from the npc
if the npc can give more than 1 quest, it will probably give you the one after that
Once you finish any other quests it gives you, you can restart the discarded quest and see the information again, but remember to write it down the second time

I had this problem with the quest that gets you the energy glyph
But now the npc servers are down and i cant complete it  :'(
.  __      _                                       ___     _          _    ____
  /  _ \   /  /   __      __       __       /   __/  /   /_     (_)  _/     /
 / __ / /  /   / _ `/   /  _  \    / -_)   _\   \      /   _  \   /  /    / _/ 
/_/     /_/   \_,_/   /_//_/    \__/ curse the char. limit

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:51 am »
Be very careful discarding quests as some of them are one time only and discarding wont reset this nor enable you to get the quest again
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

potatoehead64

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Multiply Blog Page
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 04:00:45 am »
Be very careful discarding quests as some of them are one time only and discarding wont reset this nor enable you to get the quest again

That should not be a problem, because I noticed that it is not possible to discard one time quests. The system won't allow it.

Velh Krome

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:13:23 am »
Which makes me wonder: Is still distinguished between once-only quests and multiple-times quests regarding discarding quests, or is discarding quests still simply not possible at all?

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:52 pm »
Which makes me wonder: Is still distinguished between once-only quests and multiple-times quests regarding discarding quests, or is discarding quests still simply not possible at all?
Discarding quests is possible, unless it is a one time quest.

Lorit

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:58:12 am »
I have completed 40 quests, still have 11 open and have had as many as 18 quests open at one time.  I so far, haven't had problems with the quests.  I am now waiting for mobs to become active so I can complete my currently open ones....  There are a couple I will report to Rizin when I finally get my 10 posts.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:26:45 am »
There are a couple I will report to Rizin when I finally get my 10 posts.

You can e-mail them too if you wish.  :thumbup:

Lorit

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
There are a couple I will report to Rizin when I finally get my 10 posts.

You can e-mail them too if you wish.  :thumbup:

So... do you want them one at a time or all at once?!  If I wait another couple of posts, I'm sure I'll have a few more.   ;D