Author Topic: About GM event to save husband by building a bridge to island in BD abyss  (Read 1458 times)

Masked

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: About GM event to save husband by building a bridge to island in BD abyss
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 08:31:36 am »
On Bilbous' note:

The gms should balance the typists either way, whether they're fast or not. It's common courtesy to allow everyone a turn.

And if the GMs just scoot by letting the fast typers blaze away, then it's favoritism, not running an event. In player ran RPs, it ought to be much the same: Let EVERYONE have a cycle, or turn, and then you can type your reaction fittingly.

(Plus I need to get to 10 posts so I can PM! xD)

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 09:42:08 am »
I think in a conflict its good when each side comes up with a solution suggestion taking the need of the other parties into account. Thus I share what the challenge solving capabilities of my brain have some up with:

Zunna posted this (incomplete!) log excerpt:

This is a small summarise of the facts :
(23:51:13) Aletche shouts: Take care darling there is a strong wind coming from the cayon
(23:51:47) Noberenoe shouts: Please be careful! Be careful of the wind!
(23:51:58) Oele looks to the direction Arane pointed to and grimaces. "Can't see... Strong winds can be dangerous."
(23:52:46) Noberenoe shouts: Try to get the winds to part away from the bridge!
(23:53:18) Noberenoe watches Damola and and Gova go out on the bridge, worried as it rocks to and fro.
(23:53:33) Damola gets blown into the canyon by a strong breeze

First let me add these to demonstrate that Damola was in the process of evaluating her actions:

(23:51:19) Damola ponders "We need some magic to fix this in place, I bet."
(23:51:53) Damola ponds "But I think it can work."
(23:51:58) Damola says: *ponders

I have the following suggestion to demonstrate what work for me while I think still be able to serve the need of the GM team to demonstrate the dangerousness of the situation:

(23:51:13) Aletche shouts: Take care darling there is a strong wind coming from the cayon
(23:51:19) Damola ponders "We need some magic to fix this in place, I bet."
(23:51:47) Noberenoe shouts: Please be careful! Be careful of the wind!
(23:51:53) Damola ponds "But I think it can work."
(23:51:58) Damola says: *ponders
(23:51:58) Oele looks to the direction Arane pointed to and grimaces. "Can't see... Strong winds can be dangerous."
(23:52:46) Noberenoe shouts: Try to get the winds to part away from the bridge!
(23:53:18) Noberenoe watches Damola and and Gova go out on the bridge, worried as it rocks to and fro. [Damola probably cannot see that Noberenoe looks worried and maybe also not hear the shouts due to the winds.]
Damola looks uneasy and frightened, trying to balance in the upcoming strong wind, and steps back towards Gova cautiously as various chars start to cast AW, BrW and BlW spells to stabilize the bridge [hey allow them to react to the situation as well, please! that they reacted after a GM teleported Damola and a certain cute cub into death just demenstrates that they also didn´t have the time to react to the warnings]
(23:53:33) Damola gets blown to the edge of the threestern trunk she is standing on
[Actually if that is not playing Damola by a GM, I don´t know what is. Damola is the subject here, so let me rephrase this:]
(23:53:33) A strong wind blows Damola to the edge of the threestern trunk she is standing on
[Here it is actually the wind doing things *with* Damola]
Damola barely catches the wood with her hands as her feet loose their ground, looking frightened, but determined, then musters all of her strength to put her arms around the trunk and move herself a bit closer to Gova.
The wind blows even stronger and blows Damola off the threestern trunk.
Damola yells frightened and falls down out of view [no one except player has seen Damola dieing, right?]
[Insert chars shouting after Damola frightendly and shockedly]
[Out of view] Damola falls against the firm rock at the side of the abyss with her front side and manages to get a hold of a protrusion of the rock
[Out of view] With her last strength and endurance Damola manages to climb up the rock as the winds still blow strongly [I think with strength and endurance both 250 this can work]
Damola´s hand appears at the edge of the rock

From here my suggestion would be that Gova or someone else sees the hand and helps her to get up. Totally exhausted Damola would see that the others continue to build upon the bridge she started while stabilizing it with their spells, happily letting them do the work as she cannot help anymore due to being exhausted and shocked from her experience.

That said, I´d propose a similar solution for that certain little cub. Cause, how realistic is this: A certain little cub explores the edge of the abyss, yet *nobody* catches her, carrying her to a safe place and she gets blown into death by the wind? Come on, there have been enough chars around to grab the cub and bring her to a safe place. Its as unrealistic as it can get. It utterly and totally does not make *any* sense at all. For me it is another demonstration that players only started to realize the dangerousness of the situation. But as her player didn´t speak up yet as far as I know I leave it up to the player of the cub to do so and offer a plot that would work for the player.

For me this would be a solution I could play Damola with and put her back ICly into the event again. Damola gets her lesson for being too eager to help with only partly and a bit late realizing the dangerousness of the situation. But also she wouldn´t end up in a state where I think she becomes unplayable for me.

The above scenario also takes into account giving other players enough time to react, for example the spell casters. As with Eonwind´s

Just a small [small?] clarification for everyone to read: whenever a GM event happens all that happens in that event has to be considered IC, included any consequences.
It is not tolerated in any way for a player to decide what happened or not during a GM event, any consequences of a GM or a Dev event (which include quests) are for the GMs to decide whether this happened or not. This rule will not be subject of discussions.

I do not see much chance for having such an alternate variant accepted. So I still stick with my decision that Damola haven´t been there, unless someone from the GM team notifies me that something along what I outlined above could work for the GM team.

Also with that I do not see much chance into ever again taking part on a GM organized event with any of my chars anymore.

Eonwind, when you are serious about what you wrote about, you would need to find a way to force me playing Damola in a way I didn´t agree to, or put her into prison (for no obvious reason), or disable my account or something like that, as I will play Damola as I outlined. Anyway you would choose would create even more inconsistencies like Damola disappearing as a char without any reason.

I now made an alternative offer that could work for me. But for me Damola didn´t die during the event like this. Thats a part I am not willing to discuss.

So in the end you either enforce what you wrote above, and likely loose a player, or you look at what could work for everyone. And thats not a threat, thats a logical consequence, cause: Without fun there is no point for me playing PS.

So consider for yourself whether you let me play Damola in a way that works for me or not.

I close with thinking it might have been good to do it like other players who die during an event: Just run through DR back to the end and ignore it altogether otherwise. Even if that does not make any sense ICly either.
Love,
Damola

bilbous

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:47 am »
Damola does make a good point about returning to an event after running through the DR. Departing the DR has traditionally been set as an onerous task that takes far more time than it actually does. Perhaps a delay could be developed such that characters registered for the current event could not pass back into Yliakum until 'today's' event has concluded. You certainly wouldn't want it to last beyond that in the case of ongoing events, but this would not be such a bad thing.

It might require a new DB flag -- perished in current GM event -- and a check in the exit portal code for that flag state that sends the character back to the DR entrance hall instead of Yliakum. Of course you would need code that cleared the tag at the end of the days proceedings.

This would allow for two-pronged events where, say, death cult members in Yliakum could send characters to the DR and their partners in the DR could work on them, try to recruit them or feed them false information or whatever, while they are a captive audience.

Damola: there is a problem with your latest suggestion and that is that it would take a platoon of GMs to give each player that kind of personal attention. If you find it is hard to respond to the actions of 2-4 GMs think how much harder it is for them to respond to up to a dozen or more players. You cannot expect the same level of detail or complexity from GM led event that you can from your usual role play.

Wocib

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
I close with thinking it might have been good to do it like other players who die during an event: Just run through DR back to the end and ignore it altogether otherwise. Even if that does not make any sense ICly either.

Which is exactly what you did... after being killed you came back at the bridge... So where is your point exactly ?

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
Okay, I stop investing anymore more real life energy into this.

I appreciate that it is not up to me to decide what everyone who was in the event remembers in order to keep Damola playable for me. Asking for that would be similar to the "You are dead" command Damola received from a GM. It would add a violation of freedom in how to play a char onto an existing one and is not helpful. Everyone naturally remembers what he or she remembers. If that is that Damola has fallen into death that way, it is his or her memory.

I will just claim the same freedom for Damola back. No GM at all will have any power over what Damola remembers or how her future behavior regarding it is supposed. No GM at all will have any power as to whether she gives any explaination or not or whether this explaination does make sense or not.

So just don´t expect any consistent response, if one at all, out of her regarding that event, I will continue to play Damola lighthearted, joyful and serene without spending any further moment on any consistent story on why this is the case. I won´t play her traumatized in any way, without any further explaination as to why this is the case. She may just close her eyes, concentrate on something deep inside of her, will be immediately in a serene mood and probably not say a word at all when being asked about the event. Heck, this even can have an IC explaination, but I don´t care at the moment. Whether she remembers anything from it or not, and why, I don´t care at the moment. I just won´t sacrifice any of her special traits for the story. I just won´t give anything at all the power to take away my fun with playing PS. And I stop giving this any more of my energy (to think of a consistent or plausible story).

If thats not what you expect, you are free not to approach her about the event. I totally don´t care about any reactions to her future behavior regarding the event.

Unless I gained trust again in the expansiveness necessary to play Damola or her sister in a way that is consistent to her during a GM event, I won´t take part in any future GM events.

So this is settled for me now. I won´t argue with anyone´s memories any longer or with any GM decision regarding what has been IC or not while still protecting Damola´s consistency and playability as a char. I thought that taking Damola out of the event ICly or altering the past would be the only way to keep her playable and consistent for me, to continue enjoying playing PS, but I now found that if I do not care at all about any explaination whatsover regarding her future behavior regarding the event I am free to play her the way I want as well.

Whatever happened, whether she really died or not, nothing of this has the power to touch what for me is Damola. Accept it or not. I don´t care.
Love,
Damola