Author Topic: IC consequences  (Read 584 times)

lyistra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
IC consequences
« on: January 06, 2005, 03:26:44 pm »
My next .02 tria is that any action should have IC consequences.  i.e. if someone kills players/city members in the main city, and they initiated the attack, that they should have a certain number of \'infamy points\' added on to their character.  All the sudden, prices shoot up for the character, the goods might or might not be good, weapons might be actually weaker than standard, or designed to break.  Should the situation with the points score become too bad, and they are apprehended (by whatever means, see other post on AI for groups) a likely punishment would be to do a permanent slaying (banishment) via the crystal itself.  It disassociates matter, according to the rules.. perhaps with a little encouragement, ti could dissasociate the soul (character or account)

Mostly because I\'m tired of walking through the city, watching dozens of people bashing at each other in the plaza.    I mean, if I\'d entered here when that was happening, without knowing already there was more to it, I think I\'d have just logged off and dismissed it as another powergamer elitist PK location.

At least create an area outside of town, or isolated where the PK can be done and we don\'t have to introduce newbies to it!

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:05:20 pm »
It isn\'t PK. It\'s PvP. Nobody can attack without challenging first.

GMs are considering whether to tell people that fighting in the Plaza is restricted. The Arena was constructed for a reason, after all.

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:10:30 pm »
It\'s been suggested that such a system would be inaccurate, because the situation in which someone was killed cannot be communicated through points.
It has also been suggested that if your\'re really that bad, word-of-mouth will be sufficient.
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 10:42:36 pm »
Well my two cents on the subject is really simple, temple and shops are the only safe zones everything else is free for fighting and you shouldn\'t have to challenge someone to fight them because in reality if a thief or someone wanted to cut you up and rob you or something of that sort they wouldn\'t ask first. But I already know this won\'t ever happen so why did I type this? Still have hope I guess ^^

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 10:50:27 pm »
for now i think the plaza should a \"safe\" zone.

but as ps evolves and grows perhaps it should be more dependant on the the town itself. certain towns wouldn\'t allow pvp. some towns only in certain areas, or after certain forms are met. others simply a free for all.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:19:18 am »
Originally posted by DepthBlade
Well my two cents on the subject is really simple, temple and shops are the only safe zones everything else is free for fighting and you shouldn\'t have to challenge someone to fight them because in reality if a thief or someone wanted to cut you up and rob you or something of that sort they wouldn\'t ask first. But I already know this won\'t ever happen so why did I type this? Still have hope I guess ^^

Well in somepublic place with lost of guards like the Hydla Plaza they wouldn\'t. They would try to lure you into an ally or something were they wouldn\'t get caught.

Also I personal do not haveing open PK areas instead of chalenge player vs. player areas because it would encourage alot of out of character killings like it does in other games like Runescape.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:10:49 pm »
Originally posted by Hatchnet
Also I personal do not haveing open PK areas instead of chalenge player vs. player areas because it would encourage alot of out of character killings like it does in other games like Runescape.

Indeed it is my opinion that the majority by far of all PKing is done for OOC reasons. Not necessarily dislike or personal matters, but extremely bad (or none at all) RP like just for the loot, or maybe just for the fun (griefers). While, as I also like to point out, it does hinder causal RP, but it doesn\'t hinder good RP. Causal RP would be \"mostly IC\", meaning that if you know you got no chance, you\'d not fight, even if your char would (probably not knowing that it\'s chances are slim). However, forcing PvP on these people will cause personal conflicts. Good RP, OTOH, means \"Always IC\", and one will not let RP slip to save the char. A good RPer will, therefore, be able and willing to accept the challenge and act as if it was a surprise attack, even if they know they\'ll loose.

So I think the current system is the one that\'ll make the least amount of people unhappy, while still enabling the ppl. who know how to use PvP to do it. Hence, it should stay as it is.
Usually, fighting would be automatically restricted to special places by ingame NSC guards, but since this isn\'t in place yet, I can agree to ban PvP from the plaza, it\'s crowded enough.
I don\'t think that newbies will be bothered by this, since they should have informed themselves before / while downloading anyway, right? (I know they don\'t, but then they deserve it. :rolleyes: )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:11:20 pm by Seytra »

lyistra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
affirmed
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 09:40:59 pm »
I can agree with the above arguments on both sides. :)  Thanks for the input, and I appreciate the discussion.  I think this issue boils down to different \'styles\' of playing, and the current system addresses that.  Therefore, it ain\'t broke, don\'t fix it. ;)

Though making the main plaza (by education) non-pk is a good idea in my mind.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:42:14 pm by lyistra »