Author Topic: Thieving skills & criminal activites!  (Read 1614 times)

unknown_source

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 01:07:01 pm »
to make pickpocketing newbie friendly you could make a limit of 10% of the robbed persons belongnings or something like that. Then it would be more rewarding to rob high level players than newbie but a higher risk in doing it...  then the newbies would have a bigger chance of \"growing\" in game.

*My use of words might not be right... Ai ?m n?rwegiann...
You might not be able to understand everything I say... Ai ?m N?rwegiann...

lyistra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
*sighs*
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 03:57:31 pm »
Unfortunately, some folks like to pick on others.  And some folks would be more than happy to sit down and pickpocket newbies all day long, just for the sheer malicious pleasure of it.

I suppose, though, you could have an in-game flag to \'allow\' pickpocketing attempts, if that is your pleasure.  And if you pickpocket, you automatically \'accept\' all challenges from the opposing character, and they can attempt to kill you/cast spells on you, etc, and it automatically allows pickpocket attempts on you.

At that point.. caveat emptor...

Reaven

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 08:47:49 am »
Originally posted by Elscha
1.) pickpocketing skill; chuck in an NPC Zak stylee that train\'s in pickpocking. R-click icon or target /pickpocket or something another player runs some /roll type deal and based and your skill & roll it takes an item of a equivelant value off a player e.g. max pick = 25 tria max items x2 so the thief would take say 2x rat hides or 25 tria. A check could be made against say... erm target\'s agility and if the thief fails to pickpocket the target would recieve a message saying \"$target attemps to pickpocket you and fails\" then a challenge is automatically made and accepted by the thief with no possibility to /yield. Would this work? I think so! :P an alternate source of income & a possiblity to use a thieving skill!

This is a very nice idea! But i think it would be better if you can\'t thief any items, only some money. Well, and the guards will atk the thief!

2.) Highway robbery; it would be groovy if you could decide to attack a player outside /challenge. E.g you see a fellow heading to Hydlaa or Akkaio to sell ore and you and a few other\'s jump out and attack. the target would have no choice but to ether engage in combat or /yield. Should the attacked person lose then they would drop a random item/items & be shunted off to the death realm... if they /yield a random item is given to the attackers  (or divded between them if grouped) ala monster kill style.

This is a great idea, too! There will be many \"police\" guilds who will hunt the thief guilds. Maybe the town guards will hunt them, too. The thiefs have to stealth in the town and have their own dealer in the \"dark district\" or in the sewers of the town. :)
Have fun! EndLess fun!
Chars: Ogrim Axefighter; Sina Firestrike

Auran

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Quite pants really...
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 09:39:12 am »
Don\'t count on having theiving implemented anytime soon. There are far too many cowards around who throw tantrums upon losing their stuff. But don\'t think that you cannot profit from others without the devs making special tools for it. It can be done. Troublemaking and profiteering is entirely dependent upon the urge and inclination of people to do so.

BTW: Let me say all such ladies and gentlemen who have an affinity for the shadows are most welcome to join my guild.

Please refer to the moonlit council thread on the guild forums. Click the link ;).

Auran. No More.
Forget you ever knew me kid.

Loran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 10:27:16 am »
When ever implemented (hopefully) the devs should make any kind of thieving only against npc\'s to test and balance the thieving out. If it\'s too easy at first, too many people will start complaining and want the feature out before it\'s even well-implemented. If it\'s too hard, the thieves will start complaining and so on... They could make some npc\'s with and without gaurds to pick-pocket, caravans to raid, some merchants to rob their stores... Some basic testing npc\'s. When all thieves work together on balancing the thieving out, we could have thieving in the full release, completely fair and no rason for anyone shouting all over Yliakum that they lost 5 trias.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, The Moonlit Council looks intresting Auran :]

Reaven

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 11:49:05 am »
But i think no one want to rip something off from a npc!
that would be very boring... or?
then 10 thiefs will stay around a noob npc and wait until they can nick sth. again -> like a monster.

regards,
reaven
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 11:50:04 am by Reaven »
Have fun! EndLess fun!
Chars: Ogrim Axefighter; Sina Firestrike

Loran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2005, 12:28:12 pm »
Ofcourse it will be boring, that\'s why it\'s only for testing purposes :P And 10 thieves around 1 poor merchant, would be quite noticable, I guess. The npc\'s may not be that dumb, they will have to notice when pick-pocketed, or simply notice thieves when they don\'t sneak carefull enough. If there are 10 thieves behind the npc\'s back, I hope he won\'t stand still, well, unless he\'s a scared little boy. :]

And there won\'t be much fun on robbing one and the same noob npc... They won\'t provide much profit, and they should notice when they are pick-pocketed. So you better creep away in a dark corner and get out of his store before he sees you and calls all nearby guards.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:59:50 am by Loran »

Erinys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 02:51:12 pm »
Originally posted by Myrtl
You are gona hear loads of people screaming \" OMG WHERE IS MY *** BROADSWORD. WHO STOLE IT\"!

Hmm, imagine this, you\'re going to the arena to kill tefusangs, and when you get there you want to hit but suddenly you notice you don\'t hit because your broadsword is gone while you had it in your hand all the time.
That\'s not realistic, you can\'t steal equipped stuff.
Erinys Erestir-guildless (active)
Alcyone Aldaval-guildless (retired)
Jerede Nenid-member of Fighters guild (vanished).

himayes

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 12:37:43 pm »
i know it sounds a little stupid. but why not have some one in town (an npc ) that can insure your important weapons and armor, and some kind of bank or vault to put your excess things for a fee

give a player a limit on the number of things they can insure like 3 or 4,and the more valuable the item the higher the fee. that way a player cant lose anything that they cant replace or really need.

Darakus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 01:37:21 pm »
Thieving should be implemented but the auto-challenge feature should be one of multiple options, calling the guards would be another one, branding the thief would be a nice addition also like let\'s say cutting the hand of the character if caught like they usually did in middle ages, or making the contrevenant known as a thief if officially captured by guards,...

After all if the way of evil is implemented the guard would of course be aware of existing evil characters if they had already been caught once and as such do everything needed to kill them every time they come into the city, that way forcing those chars to live the life of robbers, ... with maybe a possibility of pardon by the autorities after a certain time free of crime, it would certainly make it so that you wouldn\'t abuse being a thief as the punishment for getting caught would be quite harsh.

Another thing that should be done once robberies are autorised is to allow those players to be attacked without challenge again until the time of their pardon, after all challenge is between honorable players not for rifraf :)