Author Topic: Let's Discuss Rigs  (Read 615 times)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Rigs
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:05 pm »
So recently I've been getting more and more into building a computer. Ultimately, my goal is to get enough money to build a computer myself, and while I've been investigating on my own, I like to know what everyone else (definitely savvier than me) think about it. I've managed to plan a minibuild (and I mean miniATX, but I might scrap that) with about 700€, even though I might get a better, bigger case.

So, to start the discussion, a few questions:
- What format do you like best? Good ol' ATX, miniATX, micro...?
- What's your favorite brand/brands for cases, mobos, power supplies, etc...?
- Intel or AMD? Don't turn this one into a war!
- 2x16 or 4x8 for RAM? What do you think? Those numbers are just for the example!
- nVidia or ATI? Again, no warring here!

You can also share your rigs, and rate other people's rigs!

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Rigs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:59 pm »
- What format do you like best? Good ol' ATX, miniATX, micro...?
I'm more of a fan of a bigger box with more room for extra drives and expansion cards, so ATX. Also, larger boxes are less crowded.

- What's your favorite brand/brands for cases, mobos, power supplies, etc...?
Don't care. The case is just a box. As for Mobo, Asus is pretty good and reasonably priced though I would not limit myself to just them.

- Intel or AMD? Don't turn this one into a war!
I'm more of a fan of Intel, especially after AMD started up with their A8 processors. I'm not a big fan of integrated gpu/graphics.  I was interested in AMD back when they came out with their Turion processor, but it ran hot and wasn't very good in terms of performance. I've shied away from them since then.

- 2x16 or 4x8 for RAM? What do you think? Those numbers are just for the example!
I prefer larger modules ie. 2x16. The reason is, if you need to upgrade memory later on, you can just an in new modules instead of replacing existing ones.

- nVidia or ATI? Again, no warring here!
I'm more of a fan of Nvidia. I had a few ATI cards and never really liked them much.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:25 am »
AMD
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:39:07 pm »
I will only talk of processor, currently Intel is top of the crop, so there's really no comparison after Core came out. The new architecture from AMD is rumored to make things interesting again, but it's not out yet, and from what I gather Intel will still be top performer for games, though AMD will beat it on price/performance ratio (and on server workloads.) That all depends on whether you are willing to wait, I don't expect these to come out too soon.

You don't say anything on your preferred OS, this may have some impact on your choice of graphics if you want to run Linux: AMD plays better with open source driver developers, if you don't mind closed source drivers then that's not an issue.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:29:41 am »
Ryzen isn't even that good. It's comparable to i5-i7, but just because it's hyperthreaded yadda yadda it's better. So basically, AMD trying to keep up with the high end intels. Only pricier.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »
That's a bit oversimplified. Given there seems to be a slowdown in processor developments from the Intel side, it may be that AMD has a chance to position itself better than it has up to now. These are the first iterations of its new design, moving to a new microarchitecture. At any rate, the future should prove interesting. Anandtech has an extensive coverage for anyone interested.

Calmus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:00:19 pm »
So basically, AMD trying to keep up with the high end intels. Only pricier.

AMD is pricier than Intel you say? Then take a look at the diagram "Performance per dollar" here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/23
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:03:14 pm by Calmus »

Mr Tennet

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • The Lodge Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:20:56 am »
I'm a little late here but as no one else has really mention case and PSU... Antec everyday.
The large print giveth and & the small print taketh away.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:16:19 pm »
At any rate, the future should prove interesting.
The future has arrived sooner than later, so if you are still interested in a new rig then head to Anandtech for a look on the latest high-end lineup from Intel. These will cost you dearly though...

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:15:33 pm »
It's only for idiotic diehard overclockers with no idea what they're actually doing. It's just a glorified i7 and hoping to compete with the new Ryzen line. AMD is sure to hop on in the bandwagon. They're actually doing it for the clowns who'll buy it so they can rake in money before they can reduce the prices.

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:10:02 am »

In fact, it is not for overclockers, as can be seen on http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-10.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html
You need a water block to run it at even stock speeds, and minor overclocking will require even more serious cooling. There are regular i7 and i5 parts that support *far* better overclocking.
That being said, I do agree the market they target is very small. They're rushing this out to beat AMD to it, but anyone interested in these kinda things is most certainly going to wait a month for AMDs lineup before seeing what is what.

For anything that normal gamers, power users, etc can do, 8 cores is more than enough and should not age overly fast. 10~16 is just overkill.
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:40 am »
Yeah, and actually all the builds I'm considering have the Ryzen's in mind, except for the smaller factor ones, because apparently it's extremely hard to find a Mini-ITX mobo with an AM4 chip.

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:09 am »

Yea, expect mini ITX to show up when the R3 series hit the market. They're probably not expecting to sell many of those in combination with 8 and 6 core cpus. :)
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.