Author Topic: Player-given quests  (Read 406 times)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Player-given quests
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:00 am »
Has it never occurred to you how quests can be implemented into player characters? Think about it:

- Players have the option to teach other players a craft, in exchange for something, or out of their own good will. For example: Harnquist teaching you how to work with metal can be complemented with a player character giving you pointers on how to do it, in exchange for a circle.
- Fed-Ex quests: a newbie player could be employed to send messages back and forth between players for some kind of fee or profit, like a decent looted weapon or inclusion in a guild, to cite two examples.
- Materials for goods: crafting weapons or armor, in exchange for gear. "Get me ten iron ores, and I'll make you a brand new sabre!"

How many times have you done or seen anyone do this? It opens up a brand new form of introducing newbies to roleplay, and benefitting each other mutually. It makes them feel part of something.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
Re: Player-given quests
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:26:26 am »
Hi !

I've already been thinking about such things, though I'm afraid the first possibility would be too easily exploited to ever be implemented. A typical misuse would be carefree guilds within which people would hand over recipes to each other. This would lead such guilds to be overly powerful at crafting, to the detriment of other people. Besides, it is never a good idea to make things obtainable effortlessly in a game.

As for the others options, I've been doing the third ones a few times, though it didn't worked so well, apparently because there wasn't enough demand for my crafts.

I also know (as one of the participants) that a greater-scale, even more RP-focused player-driven quest/event is being organised currently, with now five player characters and at least two npcs (and still open to welcome a broader player-base through RPing, though it's becoming harder and harder to gather everyone so that we can RP).
Finally, one more such player-driven quest/event is being planned, though I have no idea whether and then when it will actually take place.

Also remember that you can use engraved items if you want to create your own player-driven quest and give the players some rewards. You may even be able to negotiate with the GMs to get items engraved for free if money is a concern for you.

EDIT : When I said npcs earlier I was meaning narrative characters, ie characters created for the sole goal to take part in a defined storyline.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:00:28 pm by Aeghiss »
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:45:36 pm »
I'm glad that other players have got the same idea aswell. I think this is a good concept, if done correctly of course. I really hope i get to do some when i have more time to play again

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:00:33 am »
In my system, the chief difference between NPCs and PCs in multi–perspective simulations a.k.a. MMORPGs is that the NPC instantiations are controlled by the GMs. 
Also that they never have human controllers — except when a GM acts as puppet–master.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:04:13 am by Can-ned Food »
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
This is one of the reasons why I tried to make Rigwyn operate through proxies or hired help. Sometimes he offered money for such favors but more often he would exchange a favor for a favor.

This pulls more people into your game.