Author Topic: A new modified forum scheme  (Read 1483 times)

Xanacru

A new modified forum scheme
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:46:25 pm »
I've created an updated forum scheme. I call it a scheme because I didn't create a whole new theme from scratch. Instead, it's a heavy color modification to the current theme, which is in turn based on the SMF's Babylon theme.

Unfortunately, the screenshot doesn't reflect all the changes. A full screenshot would've been too big, even as a link.

I did reuse some of the existing elements but also carefully adjusted the colors to closer match the website and appear sharp and fresh but at the same time easy on the eyes.

Also, a lot of little problems with the current theme were fixed. Problems such as the little white line under the top boxes (member info, news etc). The line is actually a small background from the original Babylon theme, which makes the boxes slightly beveled.

I hope this new scheme/theme will become a default or at least an alternative.

If you do like the scheme/theme, here are some instructions for the admins on how to install it:

1) Replace the current "style.css" with the updated one. (download for free with factory basic)

2) Download the updated images from these locations:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/200/onfx6.png (on.png)
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6272/offan2.png (off.png)
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9627/newsomejg0.png (new_some.png)
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1476/newnonelf6.png (new_none.png)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9770/boxbgzb6.gif (box_bg.gif)

3) And make the changes through the admin panel (or manually).

By the way, the reason I remade some of the existing icons was that the original ones were saved with a brownish background rather than transparent. These new ones are transparent and will look good with any scheme/theme change.

Also, I didn't touch the brownish "search", "register" etc buttons. Perhaps, someone with free time can make some custom versions. And the "PlaneShift" image at the top will still remain where it is.

I hope you guys like it. And if there is something you think needs tweaking, feel free to provide your updated alternative .css file.

Let me know what you think! :)

PS Admins and mods, feel free to PM me, if you have any further questions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:57:43 am by Xanacru »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A new modified forum scheme
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:59:09 pm »
Ooh, this is nice! :)

There's very little blue on the main website, however - and I'm wondering how your theme would look with a more green tint to the collapsable board titles. Perhaps something like this:

Would it be possible for you to try such a modification, and post a link to a full screenshot? I doubt the file size would exceed 500kb, and the resolution doesn't matter :) I'd really love to see the whole thing. (Although some brown should find its way into the color scheme as well.)

*edited to add*

Will .PNGs render properly across all browsers? I believe versions of IE before 7.0 had problems displaying PNG transparency correctly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:04:21 pm by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Xanacru

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:04:18 pm »
Yea, it's  just a simple hue change. Both look good. I kept the original bars because many people may be used to them by now and they look somewhat like dark cave walls slightly illuminated with azure light (as in barely).

Basically, it's just a heavy .css modification, whatever it allows to modify. I just wanted to give it a kick-start and then hopefully, people can add to it little by little.

Give me a few mins, I will post the original scheme screenshot. Then, if you like the greener bars, it's fairly easy to adjust. :)

Nurahk

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:33 pm »
I believe versions of IE before 7.0 had problems

If you think the browser has problems you should talk to the people who use it.

<.<
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:10:06 pm by Nurahk »

Xanacru

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:32:03 pm »
Here is a complete screenshot after everything is implemented as per my instructions:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1139/fullforummf9.png

As you can see, it's similar but different. :)

Ah, yes the IE versions before 7 don't support transparent PNGs.  >:( Guess, it'll have to be with a background.

EDIT:

How about implementing the theme as a beta (an alternative theme), so that people can try it and see how it feels?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:36:05 pm by Xanacru »

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:41:49 pm »
As far as I know the unsupported transparencies in ie just display as grey or white backgrounds anyway. I do not see why that should present a problem, they deserve ugliness if they choose to use obsolete software that wasn't standards compliant when it was new. They do have alternatives.

Xanacru

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:14:15 pm »
Compact EDIT:

I did try different variations but liked the one that I settled on the best. I wish I had more time and resources to tweak it to perfection but real-life work takes most of my time nowadays.

Feel free to make further modifications to the theme and perfect it. I'd be very curious to see what others can come up with.

Also, If you browse some commercial MMORPG sites and forums, you'll notice that they don't always use all and exact colors from their sites. Sometimes they just pick one or two, and sometimes they add something new and different. It still works, as long as it has some matching colors here and there. :)

PS One solution to add to the theme is a different graphic at the top, which includes more colors from the theme. The original graphic that used to be there, for example (with Kran and Fenki in a dungeon).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:36:51 pm by Xanacru »

Cynwrig

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:46 am »
I really like the theme, very nice job. I think that the blue color scheme looks much better, although it would be hard to put up both versions. I will also point out that it isn't a change from the color of the forum theme now. I would definitely use this theme is it was added, why not even just an alt? It wouldn't be hard to make the website match, just update the background:

There is no green found anywhere else in the theme, so switching it to blue would work just as well.

BTW the download no longer works.
Aldarion "Shadowfax" Celeblasse - The Calen Vakhar

Xanacru

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 12:58:50 am »
Thanks for the compliments. I'd also like it at least as an alternative.

File has been re-uploaded. I guess FileFactory has some sort of issues.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:05:59 am by Xanacru »

Kaugor

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 12:43:20 pm »
anywhere we can get both variations of the forums colors?

and i personally like the green on the main page better.. it goes better with the brown.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 01:46:12 pm »
Kaugor: Xanacru's forum variation hasn't been installed, so it is not usable yet. Our forum admins are really busy with the release right now so we're probably not going to touch any settings until things have calmed down some.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.