Author Topic: Mac osx 10.4.11 update/play issues  (Read 986 times)

Halifae

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Mac osx 10.4.11 update/play issues
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:51 am »
When Trying to launch the game the picture with the arcane magic comes up and then the bar fills and then it freezes up.  So wI went into the updater and it says "an update is available but I don't have the correct permissions to continue"

I am the only user on my mac and the administrator as well.  How can I get this to work so I can play the game?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: Mac osx 10.4.11 update/play issues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:30:12 am »
not running it from the dmg might help.

Halifae

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:33:57 am »
Let me clarify.  I have no idea what a dmg is.  For any of you who are kind enough to reply to my problem please respond in the most elementary form.  Assume I know NOTHING and be very step by step. 

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:02 am »
Best person to ask is Sarva, who is on Mac. I will ask him to review this thread and provide some instructions.

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:46 am »
I'm not an expert, but a couple things to suggest-

Ok, I assume you've downloaded the file from the website- it should say PlaneShift-v0.5.7.dmg, then you've clicked that and it expands into a white hard drive-looking icon that just says PlaneShift, and inside is a folder that says PlaneShift. You need to drag that entire folder into your main Applications folder (the one that looks like an 'A' made out of pencils when you open a new finder window)

Now, the client probably needs updating, so you'll need to run 'pslaunch' which is the updater. If you're still getting a permissions error, then try to change the permissions of both 'psclient' and 'pslaunch.' To do that, right-click on each and select 'get info.' At the bottom of the box it should say 'sharing and permissions.' Open that, and switch the privilege of both yourself and admin to 'read and write.'

If that still doesn't work, try turning every application off, and opening "Disk Utility" (which is found inside Utilities inside the Applications). Click on your hard drive at the left, then click 'repair disk permissions.' That will reset all permissions to what the computer thinks should be the correct settings.

You may need to re-open the 'get info' for 'pslaunch' and 'psclient' and repeat setting the permissions there.

If none of that helps... then sorry, you'll have to ask someone more knowledgable.

Good luck!

Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:02 am »
Provisionist pretty much covered the basics.

After you have taken care of the updating issue as described above and if you are are still having problems then check on this. If you have updated your mac to the new OS lion then you need to make sure you don't have the VBO option checked in your pslaunch app graphics settings. Open your pslaunch app. Click the settings button at the bottom and then choose graphics make sure the box on the VBO line is unchecked. You might also want to try lowering your graphics settings if you have any of them set to high or normal.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:05:14 am »
Seems that too many times we have someone making a good post on troubleshooting a problem, but then gets outdated or lost into the other threads.

I've created the pages on the wiki for this now, starting from Mac:

http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_guide_for_MacOSX

With every player being able to edit the wiki , I guess we can have a much better and up to date guide.

Amythst

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:13 am »
I have been trying to run the pslaunch, but it brings up a window that says, "There is no default application specified to open the document pslaunch.cfg."  I did read the wiki, but I did not see anything about a default application.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
You want to run the pslaunch.app not the pslaunch.cfg.

Amythst

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:29 pm »
Thanks! I've managed to start playing. I appreciate the help.