Author Topic: Trouble doing new 6.3 update  (Read 927 times)

KayKay76

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Trouble doing new 6.3 update
« on: December 24, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »
Hello.
I am running a Mac OSX 10.7.5.
When I get the update notice when opening pslaunch, I do not do "Update now.' Instead I
do a 'repair' in ps lauch. I downloaded and it went pretty fast. Now I know why and there in lies
my question. When I opened the new pslaunchmacosx folder, I moved the art where it was to go. I moved
the pslauch where it was to go. However, the 'Data' file (which I know has stuff in it from past updates)
in that pslaunchmacosx downloaded folder, just disappeared. The Data folder didn't open it just up and went poof.
I tried the repair in ps lauch again and only files still missing are window files. Which I just delete.
Also, when I do open ps launch, I still get the 'update available' notice.  Why does the new data file poof?
Where did it go? What is wrong?  Thank you for any reply.

KayKay76

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble doing new 6.3 update
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »
Belay my last part about still getting the update availible notice. I am not gettin that when clicking on ps launch. Still I am concerned about that data file poofing in the new pslauchmacos folder? If I am missing new data I am going to have troubles. Thanks for your time

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:08:58 am »
I don't really understand ... when you run an update or a repair, why do you move files after it completed?

From my experience under Windows and Linux, you should not have to manually "finalize" the process. The update or repair process should have patched all files to a current state. But it may have left ZIP archives with difference information which it should have deleted instead after completing the patching process. If you try to unpack these and copy files out of them into your installation folders, it may be superfluous in the best case, but possibly destructive in the worst case.

I would be surprised if an update or repair under MacOS X would require manual afterwork. But I don't have a Mac, so, well, surprise me.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 06:49:40 pm »
For Mac client, this is the process which seems to be needed with every new client update. It's been known and posted many times, but here it is again. Hope it helps.

Start pslaunch.app

Click “Yes” to start update
pslaunch.app starts updating, then quits unexpectedly after it saves the file pslaunchmacos.zip inside the client folder.
Move the zip file out of the “Planeshift” folder and unzip it.
Inside you will find new:
pslaunch.app
art folder with pslaunch.zip inside
data folder with gui folder and pslaunch.xml inside it

Move or copy the pslaunch.app, and the 2 zip files still zipped (not their entire folders), to the same named places in the Planeshift client folder replacing older items by the same name.

Start the new pslaunch.app file you just placed inside the Planeshift client folder
Choose “Yes” again to update and the process should run until it shows “Update finished”

I don’t know why it always has to be done this way, but I’ve had to do major updates like this for many years playing with Macs.

Pierre

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
Dan, hi you (this is Karenina :) )!  I had no problem with the regular install for the mac.

My OSX is version 10.9.4, I downloaded the file via bittorrent (the full install), dropped it in my application folder, opened it and played.  And everything was perfect.

I think we don't have to do all that other stuff anymore...

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:10:35 pm »
Yeah, I know Pierre... Karenina  :love:  People can always download the whole installer and start from that, but using the updater is a lot quicker for me even though it might sound complicated but it really isn't and takes way less time. Took way more time to type those instructions out than to do it.

Pierre

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:00:28 am »
Ok, I see what you mean now - and I read your instructions, very straightforward.  I'll do that for the next update, cheers  :love: