Author Topic: New combat system - under development  (Read 1371 times)

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
Re: New combat system - under development
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:46:41 am »
than looking forward to having combat even more complex and possibly beginner-frustrating (I already expect new characters being unable to kill a Diseased Rat without a double-boosted attack).
About diseased rats ... is a new character able to kill it from the start now?  ;D
We would like to keep the ordinary attack as much as equal to the existing one as possible.
if you implement a new combat system I don't know if it's good to build it on top of the other or just revamp it completely, beginner frustration will be as big as nice-to-have features are low with all features that get implemented. That being said if you're going to revamp it revamp the whole thing to reduce bugs and build starter templates for attacks similar to the current system, and make a script that can translate the old attack x to the new one
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

Glaciusor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
I've been hoping for such a system, however I do have one concern... there was talk about opening a window to click or drag abilities to the queue. This is highly infeasable to do while moving or fighting stronger enemies that require fast reaction. Is there a way to use shortcuts to add abilities to the queue? If not, can we get an "/addtoqueue <ability>" command?
"This might seem odd, but you should get a battle metronome."

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 03:03:02 am »
I've been hoping for such a system, however I do have one concern... there was talk about opening a window to click or drag abilities to the queue. This is highly infeasable to do while moving or fighting stronger enemies that require fast reaction. Is there a way to use shortcuts to add abilities to the queue? If not, can we get an "/addtoqueue <ability>" command?

of course there is, the attack list window works just like the spellbook window: you can drag the icon to your shortcut bar and even assign a key binding to it.

jemima

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 05:24:10 am »
Quote from: Glaciusor on May 23, 2014, 12:19:49 PM

of course there is, the attack list window works just like the spellbook window: you can drag the icon to your shortcut bar and even assign a key binding to it.

I think what was meant:
Wouldn't it be more handy to have normal attack-shortcuts in the shortcuts-bar as we have now. And after pressing such a shortcut. It's added to the queue. This would make the fighting-system as flexible as possible.

Ok. I know people are wanting to add magic attacks in between the normal attacks if you use such a system. But that is another discussion you aren't going to avoid.   :P
Thinking... A hard and painfull process

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 03:51:45 am »
I think what was meant:
Wouldn't it be more handy to have normal attack-shortcuts in the shortcuts-bar as we have now. And after pressing such a shortcut. It's added to the queue. This would make the fighting-system as flexible as possible.

Ok. I know people are wanting to add magic attacks in between the normal attacks if you use such a system. But that is another discussion you aren't going to avoid.   :P
I think I've already unswered this question or maybe I don't get the question at all. Anyway I will enlist the way you can possibly use to add the attacks to the action queue:
1. open the attack window, choose the attack and click to queue, OR:
2. click on the appropriate icon on the shortcut bar (you need to have previously set the shortcut by dragging the attack icon in your shortcut bar - just like spells), OR:
3. push a key to queue the attack (you need to have previously set the shortcut and assign a key to it - just like spells).

The normal attack (default attack) is just like any other attack except it's the one used by default if you don't queue any other special attack.

You can queue any number and type of attacks, up to 5 attacks, in the queue, even from different styles: normal attack - side slash (sword) - shield bash (shield) - ...
Whenever you cast a spell the attack queue is interrupted just like it happens right now so you can: cast a spell, queue a couple of special attacks, cast another spell, etc.

I hope this clear the doubt.