Author Topic: Example server crash.  (Read 6413 times)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 06:58:44 pm »
Originally posted by Pogopuschel
Excellent basic gdb tutorial :)
Helpful also or especially usefule for people who know what the problem is, but are used to a fance GUI and doubleclicks and whatnotmore to track problems down.

How dare you say basic! All I got out of those entire posts was that something nulled up the server and caused it to crash. My head hurts from seeing so many jumbled letters and numbers, and I think I need to take a motrin now.

Thank you for setting off a 3 hour long headache, small letters and numbers, you never fail!

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 09:51:31 pm »
Originally posted by ikanreed
what have been deemed \"proper\" C coding practices suggest checking for Null on any returned pointer.  games should only make an exception on a case such as incredibly time sensitive operations.

You are certainly correct ikanreed.  But unfortunately, in practical terms, that is a very hard guideline to follow.  Maybe it?s just me but there always seems to be something lacking in those pointer-less computer languages.

Just to show you how bad that could be I checked the source for the most uses of pointer references in a single line of code.  Of the 25,409 lines of code that specifically use \"->\"  ?

the winner is ?

its a tie!  At nine pointer references in one line:
client\\pscelclient.cpp:758:
if(pos->entity->pcmesh && pos->entity->pcmesh->GetMesh() && pos->entity->pcmesh->GetMesh()->GetMovable())

common\\net\\netbase.cpp:235:
pkt->packet->pktid, pkt->packet->offset, pkt->clientnum, pkt->packet->pktsize,packetlen, pkt->packet->flags);

At least the pscelclient code is trying to check as it goes along.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 12:48:13 pm »
The true \'proper\' way would be to use exception handling ( the whole try,catch,throw system ).  But that would require a fair bit of work and would add a fair bit of bulk.  BUT it would make crashing a bit better and more informative.  But it\'s just a big headache to add in now.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 09:32:45 pm »
My head hurts...Can\'t you just say that the server has a lot of mixed numbers and letters that need shook up a few times to restart? >_>

Andrek

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Your mom liked it!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 01:06:16 am »
Wow... I now remeber why I got out of programming and into networking.  I respect anyone who has the patients for that stuff... and to think I am going into secruity logs and the such.... Oh well.

Thanks for the updates.
I'm taking a shower.  Don't think of me as dirty, naked will do just fine ;)

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 09:21:22 am »
acraig: that\'s one reason I like working with Java. Built-in exceptions with informative messages. It\'s rare that I come up against a run-time error I can\'t solve within ten minutes. Logic errors are another story. And yes, I know and agree that Java would not be good for the game... Java\'s graphics are still lagging in speed.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Dregan Tepis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 10:33:47 am »
Please ignor the complaints about headaches ( even though I am getting one too ). I think this is realy informative for those people who do not appriciate this game enough. I\'ve done some coding, but your my new hero, acraig! :D Keep the info coming!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup!

ylikone

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 09:54:14 am »
Posting info such as this probably brings a great sense of \"something is being done\" about the game crashes... and it is difficult to always trace, requiring much time and effort.    This is in comparison to people saying \"well, it crashes because it\'s pre-alpha\", which makes people think that the devs are just going \"um, server crashed again, should I try tweaking this variable and cross our fingers?\".  ha ha

Andrek

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Your mom liked it!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 01:46:59 pm »
Where can I find the code in it\'s entirety, I am sure it is posted somewhere simple that I have not seen.
I'm taking a shower.  Don't think of me as dirty, naked will do just fine ;)

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 02:42:36 pm »
Originally posted by Andrek
Where can I find the code in it\'s entirety, I am sure it is posted somewhere simple that I have not seen.

=>  CVS <=

You can browse the code via that link by looking in the src dir, or use a CVS app to download it all and build from it.  There are various guides in docs to help you out.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

defender43

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 02:47:12 pm »
I\'m a programmer, and I gotta say, \"what\'s that jarble?\" This would have been much easier using the Python programming language . It is super easy.
\"Impossible is in the eye of the beholder.\" -- Laredo Silverspring.
\"Huh?\" -- Crimsonn Draycko.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 03:12:53 pm »
Originally posted by defender43
I\'m a programmer, and I gotta say, \"what\'s that jarble?\" This would have been much easier using the Python programming language . It is super easy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder  :)
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"