Author Topic: How will planeshift pay for server upkeep?  (Read 1430 times)

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
lol
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2002, 01:44:29 pm »
lol...... why would it be the first thing on our mind at the moment?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2002, 01:50:26 pm by bbum »

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2002, 01:47:36 pm »
As i said before.... I ALONE would pay for server upkeep... there not terribly expesive nor hard to come by...

plus there already is a server which can hold more players than PS will require for along time.... just remember how very close to the begining Planeshift is in its development.

tcd12642

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2002, 02:09:29 pm »
well how exactly do you know this stuff? ???
I mean it might need a whole new PC!
In a year[/b] or so....
currently working on....

[FONT=verdan
a]tcd12642[/FONT]
[/B] [/SIZE] of the elite rs tactical assault team

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2002, 02:16:02 pm »
you can lease servers from even say Dell, and for leasing one $60 a month is more than generous...though why pay when i can provide free of charge? :D

planeSHIFT

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2002, 02:21:07 pm »
If you are talking about the ps.gamiix.xom one, maybe. But how long do you think they will let PS use-up their bandwidth. I say get a good server right way, so you don\'t have to worry about it later on, when over 1000+ are on at the same time, and the current one can\'t support it.
BTW, what is the current limit on the ps.gamixx.com one? Like how many ppl can it hold, and still run smootly?

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2002, 02:24:19 pm »
When PS is fully developed and cleaned up and all, i think the gamiix one will be able to hold about 200 at one time

planeSHIFT

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2002, 04:21:13 pm »
Originally posted by bbum
100 - 200 people on the servers is not a problem...

for 60 dollars per month we can get a 850+ server....

sheeesh id be willing to pay that p ;).

BTW servers are probly the LAST thing on our mind

For that you might be able to hold 200 people in a mud text game...
The Great Linksunius

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2002, 06:13:35 pm »
no... actully.... it could hold as many as I said...

850+

As you know I was in the FPS community in IRC and made many friends... friends in high places...

such as http://www.homelanfed.com which holds THOUSANDS of people each day for FPS games... i have talked to him and for 60 dollars per month I can get 850+ people on a server...

You guys act as if finding/paying for a server would be a problem....

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2002, 02:03:17 am »
The ammount of Data transfered between a player and the server in a text MUD is identical to the data sent in a Graphical mud like PS, the only thing that would be differant would be the constant stream of data pertaining to the locations of players and there current actions or animations, all the rest is on a case by case basis.

Then again i think most muds have a constant update on who is in a particular location/room/area at one time.

So if it can hold 850+ for a Text MUD id say it can hold at least 750+ for a graphical MUD.

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2002, 02:31:29 am »
In a rather lengthy (8 hour) conversation with Paxx, the topic of money came up....i\'m going to retract my previous statements, PlaneShift does need money, there are alot of expenses they need to take care of, but at the moment it isnt the biggest concern, priority one is getting the game up and running decent, and when the time does come to start worrying about money, there are tons of options, and the PS team to a degree has it figured out, basicly it comes down to the point that the general public doesnt need to worry about it at the moment  :D

planeSHIFT

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2002, 03:16:15 am »
Shanky im just wondering if you have noticed that you have only been her for a little more then a week and almost have more posts them I, who have been here since april, i think it said you average 15 posts a day, could you stop?
The Great Linksunius

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2002, 05:42:40 am »
Link: As long as they are normal, useful posts there is nothing wrong with posting alot. When he would post 3 words and a smilie everytime it would be concidered spam. But I haven\'t seen Shanky spamming anywhere on the boards.
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2002, 01:49:45 pm »
I just have alot of free time, so i post when i deem it necessary. I could post more, but it would be me posting with nothing to say, so it would be in essence as ParaSite said \"3 words and a smilie\".

planeSHIFT