Author Topic: Will there be different languages?  (Read 661 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Will there be different languages?
« on: January 06, 2002, 02:01:31 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Archbishop Xaiver
                            posted 06-12-2001 03:00 GMT        

Will there be different languages for different races, i dont mean typing a weird language, but type regular words and other races
                         that arent your race would see the words as jibberish:
                         Example:
                         A Human says: Hello how are you?
                         A Troll reads the message and sees: Hajghu timur gastronta or something like that.

The only way to understand a certain language is to have a high skill in \"tongue\" This could also be used in book writing, check
                         my book writing post on the wish list board.

Tell me what you guys think.
    Kendaro
                            posted 06-12-2001 05:45 GMT            

i also brought this up in the wish list forum under the skills thread. i like the idea of being able to speak different languages and in
                         another game ive played, they were used in spell reserch.
    Gion
                            posted 06-12-2001 15:26 GMT            

its a nice idea yes , but the PS team havent confirmed that it will be in the games as far as i know.
    MatzeB
    PS Official Member
                            posted 06-12-2001 16:34 GMT            

well this won\'t be supported in the first demo. Later it depends on if we\'ll find volunteers, who want to translate the game into their
                         language.
                         You should also keep in mind that in the game people will speak englisch, because it\'ll be worldwide.
    Zink
                            posted 06-12-2001 18:49 GMT            

i wouldn\'t mind making up three or four sets of jibberish words for the game. but you guys would have to incorperate in as far as
                         the programing goes... i cant do that
    Corsairk8
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 06-12-2001 21:04 GMT            

I beleive you misunderstood the question MatzeB, this post was asking if the individual races spoke english. I will comment on
                         the post...

I personally think because traditional chat systems just send text without much regard for the wording or syntax, having this
                         feature would cause words that are invalid would not be translatable unless it used an encoding system that just replaced letters
                         with random letters or groups of letters. Either way, it would take alot of effort just to obscure what one species say to another. It
                         may add another realm of realism to the game but it may also cause alot of annoyance for some individuals.

It sounds like an interesting idea but I think it wouldnt work very well for this game. Of course we may decide to use this idea
                         later on if we feel it is suitable.

Also, on the note of translating the actual game it is possible the game will be released in English and German (if MatzeB would
                         translate) or any other languages members of the team can speak. At the moment translaters are not needed but if you contact
                         luca you can help translate the game to a language you can speak. We will also need to sort out a quality assurance procedure
                         to ensure the translations are of an acceptable quality.
    Archbishop Xaiver
                            posted 06-12-2001 22:23 GMT            

You could understand the other races languages better by a better tongue skill.

Meanie

Battle-Master

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 07:02:30 pm »
nah that would be 2 much trouble learning all those extra languages heck im learning spanish I don\'t wanna learn annymore  :(  english is fine
TW TROUPE LEADER      8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  
:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  Battle-master Rules!!!

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 07:37:55 pm »
i wish we had the entire thread...... there were some great ideas of using languages in spell research and in those in game books.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 09:15:14 pm »
i like that idea it is working well for Rubies of Eventide (another beta game)

two thumbs up^^

hiana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2002, 01:37:26 pm »
if someone write in english, you will see it in english provided you understand the race that spoke it and if you have high enough \"tongue\" skill

ex. troll speaks \"how are you?\"
a human with low \"tongue\" skill will only see gluttural sounds on their screen
a human with high \"tongue\" skill will read it as it is.

This would work great with npcs, with pcs it might be harder

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2002, 03:27:08 pm »
if the different languages are implanted there, of course, should have to be a common language that everyone knows

it really wouldnt be that hard (im thinking) with PC because they just have to select the language and it just gets scrambled to all others

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2002, 06:44:46 pm »
I can always help translate this fine game to swedish, but I don\'t think you would ever need that because there are so few swedish talking people around.
In a year or two, maybe three I could help translate it into russian.
Anyway older laungages that you could only find on scrolls could use the language system, and those immigrated races should maybe have a laungage of their own.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2002, 08:40:32 am »
Maybe you could use this translator at http://world.altavista.com/tr to translate the game into german or spanish or whatever.
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB  

Izzy*dot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2002, 10:36:47 am »
Well, There could ofcourse be some other-language-system in Spell research and stuff... But not in the regular game, cuz like somebody said earlier that would just give to much troubles learning it...

Ride the Maelström!!

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2002, 03:27:33 pm »
too much trouble to learn a skill? when is learning a skill trouble? thats all part of what a role play game is about. to build a character and controle how it grows and what it learns. is it too much trouble to learn elvish if a quest\'s clues happen to be in elvish? what about a parchment that is found that is believed to have all the secrets of powerful magic? is it too much trouble to have learned a language so that you can read it? you cant always expect everything to be handed to you. somethings you must work for. if you dont have the skill then things will just pass you by.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2002, 04:13:19 pm »
Ya as your skill goes up your understanding of the language does

example:

lvl 5; xxxxxx  xxxxxx xxxxx blue xxx  yellow

lvl 10; orange purple xxxxx blue red yellow

lvl 15; orange purple green blue red yellow

there, not hard is it?  :D  8o  8)

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2002, 04:59:21 pm »
The main problem with langauge in a game is that its not realy all that fun to learn, in EQ you sit down set up a private tell to some one and then have them and your self macro off about 400 lines of text to each other in what ever language you want to learn or have mastered to begin with... 20 minutes latter you zone and bang you are now a master of the language.. but seeing as every one talks in common anyway ... its no big deal.

However they recently introduced a server where you can only speak to begin with in your own native tongue of yoru race... personaly Id love to have a go on that server since thats been an idea of mine for ages, be good to see how it actualy works (then again with out any PvP options on teh server whats hte real point, you can easily learn the language from some nice dark elf or troll... sigh, they always do things half assed at verant.

But language learning has to be in some way interesting, however learning a language isnt interesting in a game, but i am on teh side of people having to learn languages first before they can read things or communicate with others of races they havent met. You cant get a roleplaying feeling when every one you meet can be talked to in common...

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2002, 05:15:57 pm »
well, i think common would work, its just like in any fantasy book you\'ve read, people usually talk in common but if they need something to remain within their race (or those that learned it) they say it within their own language (often to be insults, at least in my case  :P )