Author Topic: DISCUSSION: graphics or gameplay?  (Read 1313 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
DISCUSSION: graphics or gameplay?
« on: January 06, 2002, 02:05:38 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 20-12-2001 21:35 GMT        

What do you think that\'s more important in a mass multiplayer online role playing game, the graphics, or the gameplay? Don\'t
                         say lame things like; it\'s something of both, because I know many of you enjoy playing RS very much, and if there\'s one thing
                         that RS has not, it\'s beautiful graphics. If you had to choose one of the two, what would you like planeshift to be, fantastic visuals
                         and less gameplay, or the other way around?

Thekkur
    Buechler
                            posted 20-12-2001 22:38 GMT          

I like the graphics PLaneshift has right now. There not super awesome, but they\'re nice. Overall I think gameplay is more
                         important.

If Planeshift has awesome gameplay with its current graphics, the game will rule!!!

sanejm
                            posted 20-12-2001 23:30 GMT            

i think graphics only need to be good enough to not get in the way of game play(if you have a hard time seeing characters,or the
                         animation is bad .. then the graphics have not served their purpose).. good graphics are a bonus, and nice to look at..
                         gameplay is , lol, the life essences of gaming.graphics should never interfer with the gameplay, only enhance it..
                         but! if you have good artistic quality in a game that game will age well..
                         (omg.. i sound like a wine taster)
    Kendaro
                            posted 21-12-2001 00:03 GMT            

for me it is gameplay all the way.... i am so used to these mind blowing graphics of today but i turn them away and play stupid
                         looking game like Dragon Warrior III an my son\'s game boy color. game play and story is all i need. graphics are nothing but eye
                         candy. take EQ for example. there are no true RPers on EQ cause the story and game play are lacking, but it looks so perty(:-p)
                         people come to play it in groves.
    Kendrick
                            posted 21-12-2001 03:48 GMT            

Yes, Definatly gameplay
    Kendrick
                            posted 21-12-2001 03:53 GMT            

I like music too, I think it adds more to the gameplay
    Bigfoot
                            posted 21-12-2001 05:46 GMT            

Graphics and gameplay are 2 seperat things, and usualy dont interfer with one another... the reason so many games that are
                         produced with flashy graphics are crap when played are because teh graphics are used to conpensate for an originaly bad
                         gameplay design.

Good graphics doesnt mean theres somethig wrong with gameplay at all...

Kendrics comment on music is well said... most mmorpgs at teh moment have realy crap music nad its never used enough
                         (although that can be understandable since it can get repedative in such a game type), and with out good music atmosphere
                         cant be made... art can go only so far but with the right accompanyment of music the art in a game can be blasted even further.
                         the two play well off one another.

as for EQ being pretty... id hate to see what you term ugly ^_^. EQ is hideousely bad in the graphics department (with the
                         exseption of maybe Kunark, its only saveing grace)

I hope to help make planeshift look very professional ^_^ and very \"WOWish\". You have my vow...

We should strive to make both great graphics and gameplay, if one side eventualy fails at least we got teh other.
    BinaryReject
                            posted 21-12-2001 07:39 GMT            

Gameplay all the way.
    princessfun
                            posted 21-12-2001 08:46 GMT            

Absolutely gameplay, no question. Without the core gameplay being right no amount of flashy visuals can make a great game.

What would be nice though, whatever the graphics are like, is a high degree of customisation at character generation and in
                         game, I think it adds a lot to the role play element and allows you to make your character into more of an idividual. Wouldn\'t it be
                         nice to eventually be able to recognise other people in game just by seeing them on screen?
    Gion
                            posted 21-12-2001 13:57 GMT            

For me , its also gameplay.

A game with good graphics is fun to play for 1 month , but if the gameplay sucks it will get bored fast.

Greetzz
                         Gion.

Member of the Zeal Clan
                         http://www.zealclan.cjb.net
    Trynnon
                            posted 21-12-2001 16:18 GMT            

Gameplay is king. Without stimulating role-play, well-designed quests, and balanced character classes and abilities a game just
                         won\'t make the cut.
    Fuzzy Donkey
                            posted 21-12-2001 16:18 GMT            

Gameplay.
    Bigfoot
                            posted 21-12-2001 22:07 GMT            

Looks like im the manority :(... (then again im in the BOTH camp ^_^) if ya can do both, DO both.
    whitti
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 22-12-2001 00:48 GMT            

the Graphics will attract new players the gameplay will keep them!

I came to this game as a result of the Screenie (most everyone did) and I\'m hooked as I hope it will have AWESOME gameplay.
                         So far a lot of our Rsers lack in roleplaying abiltity :( but a lot do. I hope for good RPing and great gameplay and limited pking (I
                         said LIMITED)
    Mark von Wagner
                            posted 23-12-2001 09:22 GMT            

Gameplay is essential. Without in-depth gameplay, a game has essentially no future. High-quality graphics, on the other hand,
                         are good only for attracting new players.

(For the record, one of my favorite games is Nethack.)
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 27-12-2001 01:27 GMT            

it seems like gameplay is most popular by far! That means we need more setting members in first place... :)
                         once again: Anyone who\'s interested, feel free to contact us.

Thekkur
    Archbishop Xaiver
                            posted 27-12-2001 04:47 GMT            

what do you mean setting, as in like quests? I have some good quest ideas.
    Dwinney
                            posted 27-12-2001 15:05 GMT            

I think he means \"setting\" as in History, Government, Economy, Races, that kind of thing...
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 27-12-2001 15:19 GMT            

the settings/background department is responsible for the underlying stories, the History, Government, Economy, Races, and
                         many other things. if you\'re interested in an appointment as setting member send an email to info@planeshift.it.

more info is on the help-us section of this site.

Thekkur
    iversonroxs
                            posted 27-12-2001 23:03 GMT            

GAMEPLAY ALL THE WAY
    Shadow
                            posted 29-12-2001 20:54 GMT            

Gameplay, graphics can\'t just make a good game.

Join the Planescape clane \"Order of the helping hand\" if you want to help those around you.
                         When the clan has become a guild every new joiner will get a free weapon and an armor set.
    Corsairk8
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 01-01-2001 03:41 GMT            

I think the gameplay is most important, as long as the graphics arent too bad, too flashy or too good as to obscure the
                         gameplay. So definately, great gameplay is a must, graphics I dont much care about.

jeffcool

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Graphics vs Game Play
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 09:38:55 pm »
First I have you say I really I like graphics... but when it comes down to it I think game play is more important.  

It seems like in current games there is a lot of eye candy, but for the most part it?s energy wasted on something I only see once or twice ? short movie clips/scenes, killing a boss, etc.  Why not just put that effort into making things that I do on a daily basis cooler instead of investing it into cool quest/event finally graphics I won?t see very often.  So that spell I?ll use 1000+ times should look cooler than say the moss on a rock I?ll pass maybe once or twice.

Another consideration that I haven?t see any comments on is the scale/resolution of the game.  My biggest complaint about RS is that it?s a tiny window on a larger monitor.  I don?t know much about how the game will run (full screen, etc), but will say RS?s 500x350 is too small.

(Just my two cents).

- Jeff

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 11:08:22 pm »
I say gameplay, but I still will not be able to stand bad graphics. Jeez I hated \"the other game\"\'s graphics sooooo much!

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2002, 09:08:52 pm »
heheh i go with gameplay as long as its the right gameplay i dont really care bout graphics seeing as how text rpg\'s are fun to me

Simeon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 12:55:51 am »
Graphics are a selling point.  Some games can get away with graphics alone and little gameplay, ie. the quake series.  For a Role-Playing game to be successful, it MUST have great gameplay.  Graphics help make it more immersive, but they aren\'t so important.

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 03:34:12 am »
I like graphics.....who doesn\'t? Graphics attracts people to try out a game. Gameplay makes them stay. but judging from the screenshots, I dont think we\'ll have any problems(good screenshots and great gameplay!)
Gameplay all the way!!!
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB  

wolfman

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2002, 04:23:45 am »
i really do hate to bring it up but someother game had shitty graphics andnot even al that good of gameplay and it seems to be kinda popular. a game wont becoem popular cuz of whut it looks like or how wel lthe gameplaying is. word of mouth is wehre its at. and judging form all the posts i have read everyone here will play this game no matter now crappy gameplay is or the graphics. i dont blame anyone anyway im already stuck on playing.

if it matterd id have to say gameplay. not for any reason other than alot of graphics would take time to load and stuff. thus causing lag, then once the game becomes huge and ther is like 10k players there wont be *click, freeze, zoooommmmmm, freeze,disconnect,freeze, wel u get the picture* wel thats my two cents, aint worth much but u read it anyway didnt ya. :P

\"Manchmal erhielten Sie, durch die Risse zu lachen, l?cheln durch die Schmerz, damit Sie durch die sorge leben k?nnen.\"

mistwalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2002, 06:38:11 pm »
If there is music there should also be the option to turn it off.
A fool and his head are soon parted.

Aeris

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 05:22:58 pm »
I\'d Say Gameplay Because If You Have Really Good Graphics and Only have a few things to do I\'d Be Very Bored.
You Live,You Die,You Post Messages.

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2002, 11:47:34 pm »
As part of the 3D team and a 2D contributor in teh skin department, im trying my best to make this game look Ola la.

If game play suxs blame the others  :D hehehe

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2002, 11:50:06 pm »
lol

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2002, 11:17:13 pm »
heck, i like the graphics and gameplay, but the best thing i like is that its FREE.  I played Runescape for a while, and its graphics were crappy and gameplay was mediocre, but i played so long because it was a free MMORPG...

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2002, 11:19:00 pm »
btw i think gameplay is more imortant now, PS has good graphics, it will be a visual relief after Runescape...

kyalin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2002, 11:23:59 pm »
Graphics are nice to have, not that many people want  some 2D boxes talking to them. ANd buildings as squares.  Gameplay is more important I think.  What matters is if it is fun to play.  One huge thing I hate about RS is its too repetitive.  You have to click on the same thing over and over.  I think it needs a balance of gameplay and graphics.  Not all one or all the other.

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2002, 12:22:08 am »
thats why i used marcos...  and this ISN\'t the Dumb Woob from Runescape...