Author Topic: Real Jobs  (Read 1374 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Real Jobs
« on: January 06, 2002, 03:53:08 pm »
OmEgAx2
                            posted 02-09-2001 10:15 GMT        

mabey you should get jobs in the game other than farming. Like a Miner, Smith, Cook, Merchant, Hunter, Crafter, Fisher,
                         etc...etc..etc...
    lpancallo
    PS Director
                            posted 02-09-2001 17:03 GMT            

Do you think that this can be playable jobs? For sure the majority of players will prefer to do the \"adventurer\" instead of smith, cook, crafter, etc... Anyway we have a job system in the making. The jobs can be done on-line, but will be a great thing when player is off-line.

If the player return to his/her shop or activity, and then disconnects, the shop can function normally and provide a certain amount of money.

Catalyst88
                            posted 02-09-2001 17:23 GMT            

I think you\'d be surprised by the amount of people who\'d like to roleplay blacksmiths, carpenters, etc. Although many will choose
                         to go adventuring, other jobs offer a more interesting and diverse world, and also maybe something else to do if you don\'t fancy
                         going off killing stuff - a break from adveturing if you will :)
    corgan
                            posted 04-09-2001 09:26 GMT            

Only some jobs could work. For example a player could adventure heaps and build a collection of a lot of weapons rather than
                         running around to sell them they could open up a shop. Or perhaps you could own a shop that is run by a bot and you have to
                         refresh its stocks by finding weapons.
    Hory
                            posted 07-10-2001 23:31 GMT            

I too strongly suggest implementing those jobs... It can be a way of making money, of specialization and making the players
                         different between themselves.....
                         It also gives the game some purposes. You don\'t only go around searching for enemies, you can for example try to reach an
                         abandoned mine....... there could be ghosts in it of course, so when you get to the rocks that you have to mine, you\'re going to
                         be very glad and you\'ll have a great pleasure mining around until the next ghosts appears and you gotta run, but you\'ll know you
                         have what to bring to your blacksmith friend so he can smith you a special thing. Cooking could be great too ..... you could trade
                         with a fisherman so that he gives you 10 fish, you cook them,and you give 5 to him back....... And fishing doesn\'t have to be
                         easy..... the good fishing places could be surronded by all types of creatures.....
                         And the merchant, well that\'s not really a job cause everyone will probably trade, you\'ll be a good merchant if you\'ll have a lot of
                         thing to trade so that people will seek you when they need something..... Believe me, the \"jobs\" are really important
    Thekkur
                            posted 08-10-2001 09:19 GMT            

hmm... real jobs would be cool, but there are limitations ofcourse. For example, if you are a carpenter, I think it would be
                         practicly impossible to let you design chair\'s in-game and sell them to NPC\'s that come in your shop. And if you\'re a fisherman,
                         you might go out and fish, but you would then only be able to sell it, not to clean the fish, salten it, and store it.

I would rather call \'jobs\' professions.
                         I suggest that your profession is merely a proficiency in-game. Like when yo? have grown up in a family of fisheman, you can
                         most likely fish, and was actually going to become a fisherman, until you wandered of to go adventuring. However, you can fish,
                         and this might be extremely helpfull when alone in a forest without any food. The same applies for hunters, and miners would be
                         able to find more gems when wandering through a dungeon.

I think professions like carpenter, or wooden shoe maker wouldn\'t be of any use though, and will also be almost impossible to
                         realise.

Thekkur
    k3nshin
                            posted 09-10-2001 06:53 GMT            

why not have a age system?
                         Child
                         Teen
                         Adult
                         Have it like when your young u get born it to a certain type of family (blacksmiths..etc) and u have a mother and father who teach
                         u? that would be very cool
    TheDaiv
                            posted 22-10-2001 00:33 GMT            

I like the prof idea... setting yourself up to an exclusive job sounds a bit boring however, my idea, have an option to use some
                         stats each lvl to build up your prof lvl... that way min-maxers can ignore the prof, but full rp\'ers can have a fuller char. I am SOOO
                         sick of the fact that the majority of on-line games are simply chat rooms that you kill things in... rhe prof could prevent PlaneShift
                         from going that way... also it would rock if you can open a store, get a bot to run it as in prev response, and your adventuring
                         would help stock the store.
                         Also the prof/store bit would add a ne spectrum to quests ie...
                         BobMarley, my lvl 12 Warrior/Carptener must journey to the lowest layer of the Labryinth to extract the left toenail of the Demon
                         lord Jojo, which Keebler, the blacksmith will turn into a super chisel, I can create the Ebony Duckhead bookstands that Wawa, A
                         lvl 21 wizard, needs to give Lord Jerky on his daughters aniversary...
                         Think of the possibilities!!!
    Catalyst88
                            posted 22-10-2001 21:19 GMT            

You may find proffessions boring, but in my mind they\'re more interesting than going adventuring... and although i like to do that
                         too profs are one way to greatly increase the scope of the world\'s history and storyline in general...
    coru_chan
                            posted 23-10-2001 08:14 GMT            

Why have a game where you role play a job? I do that at least 40 hours a week already; the whole reason for playing PS is to
                         ignore real life for a while. ;)
    TheDaiv
                            posted 23-10-2001 10:49 GMT            

Its not that I think the idea of jobs are boring... it\'s that exclusivly doing a job seems boring. I mean, true, a lvl 20 Blacksmith can
                         make really cool nails, but only bieng able to look forward to the next shipment of iron, then making somthin, then waiting again
                         does not seem as fun as a Lvl 20 Warrior who is a part time Blacksmith, and uses the loot he finds to make exciting new items.
                         This would add a really cool part to the quest element of the game... especially for several part quests... bring 1 dragon scale, 2
                         pts albino orc blood, 3 ingots of dwarf iron, and a pound of Red gold, mix them together and wala! One Waffle Iron of Doom
                         Also, I think you should gain xp for building things... like you just did this grand quest, got your items, depending on Blacksmith
                         skill, either make item or make mess, and if you suceed in making item, you get loads of xp.
                         Muchas Funnas!
    Thekkur
                            posted 23-10-2001 11:29 GMT            

I think I posted such an idea in an earlier thread about professions. If you will be able to sell the things you made, you can have a
                         real prof. You can for example use your guildhouse to sell the things(if you\'re truly not an adventurer. Guild houses should have a
                         sign outside, with the name of the guild on it. If you start a blacksmithing guild and hang out the sign, everybody in the city
                         knows that they can buy their weapons at your place.) If you ARE an adventurer, you could sell things at inn\'s, taverns, the
                         guardhouse (the npc guards need wepons too, don\'t they?) and at markets.

Thekkur
    Paradagnae
                            posted 23-10-2001 23:15 GMT            

i would love to be some sord of musician.. and then ppl pay you to play ;-)

or some kind of salesman... [one who travels around with his gear] maybe companioned by some nice girl ;-) [any volunteers]
                         and maybe with some ppl to protect him against thieves
    Kendaro
                            posted 13-11-2001 08:00 GMT            

thing about these professions is they cant be too teadious(sp). like for example in so many games smithing was a pain in the
                         kiester. you had to buy the ore and make the ore into brick, take the brick and make it into a sheet, take the sheet and fold it,
                         take the folded sheet and then forge it to a blade. you then had to start again with ore to make a block, then forge the block into
                         a hilt. then you would combine the blade and the hilt together for a sword. then you risked a chance of failing the final combine
                         and you lost all that work.

there just has to be a better system than that. like for example if you failed, instead of loosing everything, you would be left with
                         scrap metal that you could use again. enough srap together and you can make a sheet once more. also it would be nice if you
                         only had to do the lesser tasks when at low lvl. once your smithing skill grew to the point where you would no longer profit in skill
                         from making the lesser materials, you could pay a NPC smith for them. say once you get to a lvl in a trade, you are given access
                         to a trade NPC that aids in the smaller duties. maby that NPC would just have those items for sale. cheaper than anywhere else.
                         since after all you would be a skilled smith and it is your profession, you would be granted wholesale.

another idea i liked was that of running a shop. it would be interesting if you could earn yourself a good amount of money. rent a
                         shop and hire a NPC to sell your wears. this would stop those anoying auctions. your shop would only sell what you have
                         created or have put up for sale. you would interact with your vender and when he/she has sold an item they will pay you minus
                         their wage. this would be something you would have to constantly interact with so to keep prices competative as well as keep
                         your inventory stocked. these rented shops would be able to be used by all the professions. they could sell your smithing,
                         fletching, tailoring, or what ever other trade item there is.