Author Topic: Introducing Magic Resistance !!  (Read 1255 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Introducing Magic Resistance !!
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:15:37 am »
The long wait is finally over ! ;) Magic resistance has arrived... but don't get too excited because it's not the complete system yet.

Thanks to the new rules balancing, many of you tested more the combat system, and reported the need to fix the balance in power of a pure wizard and a pure fighter. Wizards have the advantage of range, plus they can defend themselves against weapons with armor. Fighters cannot defend themselves from magic, apart from a basic saving throw applied to spells.

We have added now in game a first version of the magic resistance implementation. Thanks to Weltall for the implementation!!

Up to today many powerful spells had the concept of a "saving throw". Basically you roll a dice on one of your skills/stats and see if you resist the power of the spell. This is based on stats/skills of the victim. For example "do a test on your Crystal Way skill against a difficulty of 100 to resist". This concept has two problems: first, many saving throw are based on magic ways knowledge, so you need to be a wizard to resist to magic reasonably. Second the result of the saving throw is a yes or no, allowing little flexibility (so you either resist to the spell or not). This concept for now is still in place, and so you will still see monsters/players negating the effect of a spell.

A new concept of magic resistance has been introduced in all offensive spells and to many monsters. The magic resistance value goes from 0 to 200, and it's different for every Way. The result is a percentage of damage reduction for a certain Way. So for example if a monster has 100 in Red Way Resistance, he will have 50% (100/200) resistance to all Red Way spells.

At the moment only monsters have magic resistance, and every monster have been granted different resistances, up to 190! Meaning that they will be basically immune to certain magic. No monster has more than 3 Ways resistance, and the majority have one or two, so there is always a way to kill it with magic. The trick here is to know which way to use with which monster and to group with other players who have that Way at high ranks.

The next step is to introduce magic resistance for players as well, which will come in the form of items, armors, rings, weapons, ... It's important to note you cannot train magic resistance as it's not a skill. Most likely the first implementation for players will be on random loot weapons. Magic resistance available to players will rebalance the magic vs. weapons discussion, so if you know your opponent you could gear up your char to resist that particular Way of magic.

So get in game and test your spells on monsters!! It's active now!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:21:55 am by Talad »

bilbous

Re: Introducing Magic Resistance !!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »
I applaud this but am a little confused, does this replace the anti-magic skill or is it still to be implemented? If all players are going to get magic resistance will kran get more or will their projected restrictions on magic used be eliminated? I suppose it is still too early for a definitive answer but more information would be appreciated.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »
Yeah thats what I'm wondering too, doesn't this basically make Anti-Magic obsolete?

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:56 pm »
Yes, anti-magic will be removed. It was one skill against all magic, which was not flexible. For Kran we can assign some value of magic resistance by default, but I would keep it low like 10% or so.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »
I'm excited to see this.  Will a monster with magical resistance still give practice values for training magic? If so, that might be a very, very good thing for training.
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:18:05 pm »
Excellent idea. Very much looking forward to this.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
Having been testing this for about 20 minutes... can I just say I love you guys?  This is a VERY good thing!
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 06:59:32 pm »
Only resistance I've found that doesn't make much sense is ulbers seem to have wildly varying resistances depending on their type. Maulberlords and regular Maulbers have RW resistance to a massive degree (while someone having fur, iunno) yet no BrW with them huge muscles. Vilenauts have the RW as well as BrW resistance, and I ran out of time before I could find a regular ulbernaut.

Everything else has a reason, Riverlings have gills so they'd obviously be resistant to BlW, Consumers are supposed to eat corpses and stuff so DW makes sense on them, Fire Carkass' are well... Fire, so yeah.

valentineaaron

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »
Does this mean that the resistance high casters have now for magic ways will be removed from the game?

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 03:55:42 am »
Why is there dw resistance for Ulbers? What it is the reason?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 04:14:09 am »
This is a much appreciated and long time needed addition.  \\o//

It is understandable you decided to abandon the concept of antimagic, but I always liked the idea to have a trade-off between your characters overall magic competence and resistance. Anyways, we could still have random loot modifiers that grant spell resistances and penalize mental stats or way skills at the same time.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:04 am »
This is a great addition! One question about "saving throw". Looks like that's the reason some spells fail completely on most creatures. Two examples - Icy Ground and Choking Gas. They work only on very low mobs (like rats) and always fail on anything significantly stronger. Can you please check if something is broken with them (and may be "saving throw" concept messes them up?). Also, with resistance there shouldn't be a need for a second reduction system (of that saving throw) since it only adds confusion.

Now what's missing are defensive spells against other spells (may be those spells can increase the resistance temporarily). Would be also great to add an option for non mages to use potions to increase resistance. Potentially it'll give some market for alchemists to create high q potions, but I probably think too far ahead here :). Using enchanted items with resistance is not a bad idea, but only when those items are craftable (see the proposal for spells with crafting for enchantments). So far it's not the case, and looted items are limited to 50q as known.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:26:58 am by Gilrond »

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:15 am »
 \\o//

Thanks a lot!

With the skill removed, high Way skills or Items and high Willpower are the only way to create a magic-resistant character who is still somewhat able to cast low-realm or supportive, non-harming spells?
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »
Using enchanted items with resistance is not a bad idea, but only when those items are craftable (see the proposal for spells with crafting for enchantments). So far it's not the case, and looted items are limited to 50q as known.

that's an issue i foresee as well. Also, for characters who shun magic, but would also like to protect themselves from magic, an enchanted item is the only way to go... and kinda defeats the purpose. If the creatures of Yliakum gain their magic resistance naturally, can there be a naturally occurring magic resistant material or a magic resistant alloy from which armors can be crafted? Or does Icerra have to start wearing Kran skins to protect herself?

...actually, that's not a bad idea. Hear me out, if the creatures are resistant to magic, it stands to reason that any armor crafted from their hides should be resistant as well, yes? So, some finely crafted riverling skin leather gloves should offer some protection against Blue Way. Or did I just make the developers working on leathercrafting groan in agony?
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:32:54 pm »
I just had the same thought Aramara. For example lumium / crystal steel or some other metals and alloys can naturally provide higher resistance to magic. But in general this should be achieved with potions for non mages characters. It will allow using your items of choice, with having access to managing resistance. (Mages should be able to manage resistance with magic - i.e. special spells). I agree, that restricting resistance boost to 50q looted items defeats the purpose.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:34:39 pm by Gilrond »