Author Topic: The Groffel League  (Read 380 times)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
The Groffel League
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
[Since the damage formulas were reworked and crafted armor has become available, it seems to me that some players lost interest  in PvP activities and related  events have become much less popular.  The last combat event I organized is quite a long time ago, but I would like to give it another try. Maybe this one will work better.]

The Groffel League hosts tournaments for non-professional fighters and young talents who are looking for a real challenge without first going through years of training.  Everybody can apply for the games and when a tournament is announced, the committee will call for five selected applicants. Each tournament consists of ten matches and is held in the riverling pit of the Hydlaan arena. During each match, two participants challenge each other, so every of the five contestants will fight four times. The matches are carried out in a playful and spectacular manner: A fighter will try to knock over his opponent using mock attacks and simple magic, but without the intention to injure anybody. In case someone attempts or even succeeds to slay his opponent, he she or kra is banned from the league for a lifetime. 

[OoC description]

[So much for the setting, but how does it work, you may ask. And most of all: Boni, why the heck did you choose such a ridiculous name for your games?

Well, let us make a backronym that summarizes the idea nicely:

Grinding omitted for fun and fairplay at equal levels (GROFFEL)!

In essence, players will not enter with their highly skilled and long time trained characters, but use the quick paths of character creation to play with an untrained fighter. This does not only allow fair conditions for everybody, especially also for the casual players, but it also lowers the barrier to allow a mixture of combat and magic in a tournament. The goal is to make the games fun and enjoyable for everyone, but still leave some room for various strategies.]

[OoC game rules]
  • The sum of stats must not be higher than 500 (agi + str + end + int + wil + cha).
  • The base value of all combat and way skills must not be higher than rank 5.
  • Armors, helms, shields, ranged weapons and items of Laanx mind are strictly forbidden.
  • Other types of equipment, consumables and spells can be used to raise ones skills and stats.
  • Recovery of health or mana with food, potions or spells during the match is forbidden.
  • To compensate for their hard skin, Kran are not allowed to wield blade-weapons.
  • Once again: Anybody who kills a contestant is banned from the League.
  • Spectators who cast spells during a match are requested to leave immediately.
  • And just to be clear: Familiars and mounts must not enter the pit.

[OoC administration]
  • The stats, skills and inventory of all contestants are visible for everybody on myplane.
  • All contestants join a group such that system messages, health and mana can be monitored.
  • There is no entry fee, anybody can apply free of charge.
  • At the beginning of a tournament, all applicants draw a ticket (/roll 999).
  • The five highest tickets are assigned numbers from one to five.
  • The sequence of matches is: 1-2, 3-4, 5-1, 2-3, 4-5, 1-3, 2-4, 3-5, 4-1 and 5-2.
  • The winner of each match will earn ten percent of the tournaments prize money.
  • If there are less than five applicants, the event gets shorter accordingly and the prize per match remains the same.

[Dates and times]

[Saturday 30th of June at 21 GMT (23 GMT+2)]

[Further tournaments are to be announced later.]

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:14:47 am by Bonifarzia »

bilbous

Re: The Groffel League
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:56 am »
aww gees I thought it was going to be pet fights. Will you have some GM available to turn the contestants into kikiris?

Good luck with your event. :)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:20 pm »
Well, this looks too fun to ignore. I suppose I'll have to be making an alt for this one ;)

One small query: Are you planning on using the inventory display feature on MyPlane to regulate the usage of food consumption, Boni?
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:41 am »
One small query: Are you planning on using the inventory display feature on MyPlane to regulate the usage of food consumption, Boni?
Inventory information on myplane displays only the types of items equipped (without random name modifiers) and is used mainly to ensure nobody wears "invisible" armor. Healing should be detectable via the group functionality, even though possibly with some delay. Same goes for dark way spell damage that is 40 ranks higher than it should be.
So technically, the player event can be organized without GM assistance. On the other hand, players may hesitate to disrupt the games or to try a little cheat if they have the feeling that a game master could be watching them.
And yes, this is all about alts, but I think it is perfectly acceptable to let people know about your "sponsors", i.e. the main characters who support the fighter with tactical instructions, weapons, jewelery, potions and so on. Some supporters may prefer to remain unknown...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:26:44 am by Bonifarzia »

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
I think that sufficiently answers my question. I'm all for it  :thumbup:

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:21 am »

I think the skill limit should be raised from rank 2 to at least 4. Otherwise, it will be to hard to use realm two spells, and the advantage from the new staffs will be to big. So let us take a skill cap of rank 5.

For the first tournament, I decided to donate one thousand circles (250'000 tria), so an untrained character has the chance to earn up to 100'000 tria. With the new loot rates, that sounds fair enough to me.

I wonder if we can host the first games already this week end, GMT evening time. What about Saturday 21.15 GMT? If you are interested, feel free to leave your suggestion for another time and date.

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
That time ought to work for me  :thumbup:

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »
As there were hardly any responses yet, there will be no official tournament for today. If some people are around at the suggested time, however, we can test the setup during a few unofficial matches, and of course there will be some prizes in that case.

I would like to thank Tazen for his friendly advertisement and Tanner for his help investigating the difficulties to equip a Laanx mind item with a character that meets the stats limitations.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:30:59 pm »
I missed that it was today, even though I read the (ingame) ad only hours ago... So I hope there'll be an event at a later time that I won't forget  ;)
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:13:26 am »

Okay, I will make another try to fix a date for this. I hope there will be enough interest to have this repeated on a regular basis.

Saturday 30th of June at 21 GMT (23 GMT+2)

The time and day of the week have been a good choice in the past and there is no champion's cup or soccer game at that time. I see a market (either in Amdeneir or Gugrontid, the description is contradictory) is announced one hour earlier, but I don't think that should be a problem.

:-[ This topic has seen to much text from me and still no action from an event. Let's change that and have some fun!

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »
That date should™ work for me. See you there, Boni.   ;)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone who took the time and visited todays event. It seems my attempts to spread the word failed miserably, so just a handful of warriors applied for the tournament, probably most of them in a very spontaneous manner. I hope the three short rounds were still entertaining for all of you, even though we had to improvise badly, skipping most of the administrative part. Maybe this will at least attract some attention to have a larger and much more spectacular tournament next time.

Champion of todays games was Khom, who won both of his fights, first against Bileroun and finally against Minks, who was victorious in the second round. The prize money was hundred cirlces per round, as previously announced.

As a technical side note, fighting in a non-bloody stance when wearing no armor at all is not beneficial. It just makes the fight take more time, lowering your attack while keeping the minimum defense. I did not mention this in the rules section to keep it short, but maybe we should add this point.

Again, you can make your suggestions for a time and date if you like.