Author Topic: Thrown Weapons  (Read 406 times)

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Thrown Weapons
« on: June 22, 2015, 01:29:56 am »
Hi everyone. I suggest the addition of Thrown weapons. It would include sidearms carried for purposes of combat assistance in belts. Belts would be able to hold a few weapons at once, depending on the weapon and the size of the belt. Thrown weapons would use a different command other than attack. Some thrown weapons could be bolas, which can snare enemies, throwing clubs, throwing knives, or throwing axes. Larger thrown weapons could be javelins. Thrown weapons would be short range. The weapons would require ranged skill and adequate skill levels in any corresponding skills to use effectively. For example, throwing axes would be governed by axes as well as ranged. What are your thoughts?
Edit: Realized with the new combat system, thrown weapons can be under ranged skill and have their own combat style. They wouldnt conflict with bows and would not need their own skill.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:02:22 pm by Richgar »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Thrown Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 01:53:18 am »
Would this be a specialization of rather "Daggers" or "Ranged" weapon category?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:14 am »
It would not be a specialization of either. Some thrown weapons would require other skills to use effectively. Throwing axes could be governed by axes as well as thrown, for example. Other weapons such as bolas used to snare would be solely dependent on the Thrown skill.
Edit: Nevermind, it can work perfectly fine under ranged.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:04:35 pm by Richgar »

CheatCat

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:10 am »
Perhaps a combination of Ranged and whatever other skill such as Daggers or Axe?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:40:31 am »
I think if you discuss these ideas, you should take into account the upcoming combat mechanics that will allow to chain different techniques or special moves:
http://194.116.72.94/pswiki/index.php?title=Combat_System

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:34 am »
Edit: Nevermind, it can work perfectly fine under ranged.
As a sidearm, it makes sense to be a combination of skills, but not with ranged, as it is archery. Ranged seems fitting for things such as slings, darts and blowguns, and crossbows. That's why i decided thrown should be its own skill. It would contain some weapons that are dependent on other skills, and allow for short ranged sidearms.
I think if you discuss these ideas, you should take into account the upcoming combat mechanics that will allow to chain different techniques or special moves:
http://194.116.72.94/pswiki/index.php?title=Combat_System
I wasn't planning on the Thrown skill being a primary attack style. However, if it had its own techniques, they would support the primary weapons with incapacitating throws to vital areas between attacks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:06:14 pm by Richgar »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:07 am »
Before anyone else mentions it, thrown weapons will not be overpowered nor upset any other attack techniques if you remember that they can only be used once.  Even boomerangs would need to be magic if they return when they make a successful hit.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 06:20:55 am »
Yes, although thrown attacks would come out faster than ranged and could be used in between attacks, the supply of thrown weapons would be much less due to weight. They must also be equipped on the belt.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 07:00:48 am »
Another thought: Didn't the last alchemy update (quite a while ago) include substances to throw at enemies (freeze, burn etc.)?

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:33:09 am »
Another thought: Didn't the last alchemy update (quite a while ago) include substances to throw at enemies (freeze, burn etc.)?
Yes and they are based on the ranged skill.

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
Using archery skill for thrown projectiles doesn't seem right, but if everyone is comfortable with thrown weapons falling under that category, I won't fuss about it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:34:07 pm by Richgar »

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:08:50 am »
Using archery skill for thrown projectiles doesn't seem right, but if everyone is comfortable with thrown weapons falling under that category, I won't fuss about it.

It's true that from a realistic point of view throwing weapons can involve a different skill than archery. Also maybe in the future we could implement some more throwing weapons, as of now there are no plans but it makes sense.

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:08 pm »
Ah, I just realized with the new combat system, thrown weapons can be under ranged skill, but they could have their own combat style so they dont use bow skills.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:57:49 pm by Richgar »