Author Topic: Cool movements  (Read 1035 times)

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Cool movements
« on: January 14, 2003, 04:45:29 pm »
Ideas pop up in my head like plants on steroids  :))

How about some fancy moves for all the different types of \"classes\" (I know there\'s no \"classes\", but you know what I mean).
If a martial artist wanted to show how good he really is, then he could instead of saying\"look, I\'m lvl 83\" show some acrobatics that would reflect how good he was.
A mage could show some small fireworks, and the warrior could do some cool swordmoves.
This would improve as they grew in levels.
How about a \"dance\" skill which could be combinated with the musician skill? Then an Inn-owner could pay dancers and musicians to entertain his guests.
I know this is a little fictive right now, but It would be a good thing to see in the future. :)
Good luck to you developers!

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 09:44:20 pm »
This is interesting, and reminds me of Gandalf. The books said his fireworks got better with age. Ninja\'s could take acrobatic stances, Someone with goody-two-shoe karma could pray. This really leaves alot to the imagination.

Tionusena

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 07:20:44 am »
This is indeed a good idea, to show off to other players!
www.mirth.34sp.com

\"Pain is your ally, because it tells u when u are dying\"

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 07:47:49 am »
hmmmm, I had a post about that somewhere way back when....

not an issue, it\'s a good idea, but will take alot of effort to impliment....however would look verry spiffy :-P

but this was my conning idea, infact I thing I named the thread thoughts on conning or somesuch????

if I find it I\'ll add a like here
found it :-)

Click here to go to see   point 12 and 13 is the meat, but the post is decent if long :-)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 08:10:11 am by paxx »
-Paxx

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 08:53:04 am »
I agree!

Originally posted by Kada-El
I quite like acraig\'s idea of having the ability to reveal your skills to an individual. That way there would be no doubt of your abilities if you needed to prove them in a certain situation, it would be like having a \'demonstrate skill in [insert skill]\' option, which also keeps things pretty realistic. You could even include a small animation for each skill to acompany that demonstation which would get more spectacular as your skill level increases - heh, or maybe not *imagines high levels players standing around demonstrating their faboulous swordplay skill, or fancy magic animation - showoffs  :rolleyes: :P

...from \'Skill Judgement\'  post

Originally posted by paxx
Characters shouldn?t be able to see if you are their equivalent or not, but they should have a demonstration of power that makes it easier to see if they are of your combat ability or higher/lower (this should be some type of sword dance for fighters and displacement of magic energy for casters, combo types will have a combo of the two) but you should not know their exact powers unless you ask and they show you, or tell you and then it is up to the player, however a person with the disguise skill should be able to act more or less tough then they are if they wish, someone with impersonate should be able to pretend they are of another type then they are.

...from paxx\'s incredibly long post  ;)

(oh, you found it while I was posting ;))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 09:32:00 am by Kada-El »

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 10:24:56 am »
Paxx, that was the best thread I\'ve read so far!
I agree with you about everything ;)

Oh, and by the way, you could put in some taunts too, like if you win a fight you could wave your sword and cry out (if you\'re a warrior), or scream something in your own language to scare the enemy.
I was thinking about Gandalf \"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!\".
If you\'re a martial artist you could scream \"KAAAI!\" and do some impressive moves.  
If you\'re evil you could paralyze your foe, laught horrible at him and then kill him with a single blow. :))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 10:37:03 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 09:38:15 pm »
you know, if that was in the game...it would be all that I would go around doing, because somehow that entertains me....ya, anyways

Maybe something so you can like combine the things into one move so ya do it in all one big combo (i think that hasnt been said?) that, when put together, does something different if your skill is high enough in both areas

FMiddy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 12:22:37 am »
since theres no out of PKing this could be what you do outside of the arena instead of fighting, you get into contest to show off your skills, sorta like a rap battle  :D , and it could make special events even better with the high lvl (showoff :P) characters doing all sorts off cool things visual pleasing to those watching... maybe there could be a minstral skill (god I hope I spelled that right, cuz it could turn out....bad if I didnt) where you buy an instrument, and play it, and as you got better, you could just sit around and play for other people, and then you could make up your own ballads to the music, and everyone could be sitting around the pub singing the song of.... The great Pax vs. The mighty Kiern....
Name: Frankuuu
Race: Dermorian Elf
Chosen Path: Warrior
Alignment: Neutral
Guild: N/A

I fight for my destiny, if yours crosses mine, the only outcome is for me to prevail, whether you live or not depends on if you get in my way...

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 04:07:48 am »
Just remember that to have more character animations you sacrifice the 3D peoples time?.so less monsters and such, but in truth I still love this idea and as we proceed with development we will see, however there is the valid point as Venge mentioned?.but we will see we will see :-)

Taunts are also nice, but extra animations are = good 3D peoples time, and that is something in finite supply.

but like you, I can hope :-)
-Paxx

boonet

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 06:14:26 am »
Hmm... let\'s stay in the case of races structured mostly like humanoids (head+2 legs+2 arms). Once one model has been rigged (=prepared to be animated), it is usually a very quick task to create new actions for him to perform, and the speed of the animator is not really related to the race/monster he is animating (again: in the case of humanoid creatures, or simple animals: a strange octopus with 30 tentacles or a hydra with 9 heads are different cases ;) ).

What does this mean? It means that once you have a model that has some base animations (and so a rig), it\'s not an animator\'s time problem to add more actions.
At this point (since we\'re still using vertex animation) it\'s more a resources problems: adding actions to animated models has an interesting impact on ram, so it\'s better to wait until we have skeletal animation if we want to really add lots of fancy movements.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 06:18:13 am by boonet »

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2003, 10:56:51 am »
I had a dream last night about something that related to what your all talking bout right now and although it only applys to the battle arena part of the game it was the idea of gaining medals or markers or perhaps custom armor to  denoted a warriors skill I think something like this could also be used to replace lengthy animations.

its a simple ranking system that displays a players skill in battle.

say you when two, 10 person tournaments then you get a medal or armor that denotes your achievments.
the armor itself is only for looks and serves only to intimidate would be challengers and show those around you what you\'ve accomplished.

this idea could very easily be ported to fit all sort of other in game occupations. for example:

warriors (or whatever you wanna call \'em) get trophies or medals (again what ever you wanna call \'em)

elected officials  and government related occupations get badges and sashes (mayor).

magicians or magic
 practicing players get broomsticks that relate to ther skills

and  so on and so forth
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 11:31:08 am by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2003, 05:24:57 pm »
Hmmm, that\'s interesting. The champions could win unique stuff like designed shirts, sashes, golden swords (to hang on your wall for show), special designed robes, and even houses.
You could also have your name in the gladiators hall of fame where everybody could see who\'s the champion of the week  :] .