Author Topic: VR gui  (Read 3970 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 03:39:10 pm »
I -adore- that rat in the corner by the Upload button, on the Paths Selection screen
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Burntleaf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 03:49:43 pm »
dont mean  to be a killjoy but i dont really think its any better than the current. The type of attack sction is very good artisticly but seems unclear of what is what. i havent been on ps recently though. even so, i think you are veeeery talented cherpow and would like to see more work from you in the future
edit:the veeeery isn\'t delibrately like that, its my dodgy keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 03:51:10 pm by Burntleaf »
Charly said always tell your mummy before you\'re going somewhere- Charly- The Prodigy

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 05:57:26 am »
Hello and thanks everyone.

I guess we\'ll have to wait and see what the Sirs Vengeance and Talad decide about bit torrent possibility. After that ps-mc.com is my choice.

In my opinion, it\'s purpose is not to replace the current PlaneShift GUI, rather to give players variety to choose from and help maximize our fun. Also remember that these are just few jpgs from which it may be difficult to tell how well/poorly \'VR gui\' actually works.

To Burntleaf - Good point. The attack stance icons were originally larger, and you could see them more clearly. However, only after they were done, I realized that they\'re shrunk to fit in the info window, and this makes them all very similar. I added the colour variation to ease this, but in general, that is certainly one place where to improve.

Any comments welcome. :)

Edit: For those who want to try creating own GUIs, I\'ve created a list of all PS backdrop, gui and button graphics, and wrote short explanations of where in the game they\'re used. http://users.tkk.fi/~vrantapu/PlaneShift/Diagnostics/files.xml

In addition, I made \"_Source gui\". This may first seem like a joke, but in a matter of fact, it is quite useful.

Here is an example screenie:

It\'s extremely messy gui, whose sole purpose is to help in creation of guis. Its backdrop files have boxes showing where the text labels and other objects are located, so you don\'t have to check it by joining many times*. I addition, it shows the file names on the objects, so when you see something that you want to change, you know what file to edit.

* Note that these boxes are only in correct positions when original PS xml data is used. If you\'ve changed them xmls you\'re on your own. ;)

_Source gui takes only 2MB space, it\'s still too big to fit under my homepage, but certainly transferable through email or irc dcc. Or maybe the ps-mc.com wants it? :)

Remember that it\'s cool to change just some little things (eg. a scrollbar!). Have fun! :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 11:20:04 am by Cherppow »

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 06:54:21 am »
Looks like it belongs in a game, hard to tell it wasn\'t drawn professionally. If it isn\'t buggy, I wouldn\'t mind using it.

Kwip

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 01:13:22 pm »
*Stands paralized with mouth open*8o

Amazing.  It adds a new dimension almost, a new different feel.  I love it and can only hope that you will continue this superb work.
Lurking in that space between -             \The\____
 trying to see what is off both ends -        -----\Mad\_____
  but the confusion and chaos looks so fun -     ------\Bard\
   that I must now jump down twixt them both and dance the dance

DivineLight

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 01:33:02 pm »
Great work cherppow, i hope devs add an ingame option to choose amongst different GUIs, so fans can creat GUIs.

Well devs have more important things to do but you\'r GUI is igniting something like this.
Every one will die in pain except those who were less pain for the others, while they were.....

.~\'| MyBlog | FireFox | Gaim | \'~.

Socrates Demise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 06:02:37 pm »
I really like it it gave me the Idea that perhaps we could have a different gui for each race. That one would work great for an elf. I may see if i can\'t make a nice stone like one that would have a \"kran\" feel to it. Or a nice aquatic one for the Krylos, maby even a fire theme for the Dabioli :P

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 04:05:38 am »
Very nice. :diamond:
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 04:27:14 am »
Originally posted by Phinehas
I like it, too. In fact, it immediately made me think that it would be awesome to make a different gui for each race. This one, for instance, reminded me of the Dermorians, being all woody and naturey. It would be great to have, say, a rock one for Krans, etc. etc. Lots of work, I know but it\'s a nice dream.

Originally posted by SocratesDemise
I really like it it gave me the Idea that perhaps we could have a different gui for each race. That one would work great for an elf. I may see if i can\'t make a nice stone like one that would have a \"kran\" feel to it. Or a nice aquatic one for the Krylos, maby even a fire theme for the Dabioli

Idea thief.

Telumehtar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 03:19:48 pm »
Wow - it looks quite impressive, and I look forward to trying it out when I return home from my time away.

It would be really nice to see a variable GUI system in which you could either choose a GUI, or have one defined for your race (as mentioned above).

However, I wouldn\'t classify it as massively important - it would be nice. I think I would vote for \'choose your GUI\', because then you wouldn\'t NEED to have one for each race, and you wouldn\'t be put off playing a race just because it\'s related GUI isn\'t that great.
\"Hold! Do you not want to know the name of the man you are about to destroy?\"
\"I do not need to know the name of a Sweeper.\"
\"It\'s always wise to know the name of a Sweeper, boy. And my question was not Addressed to you...\"

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 04:26:05 pm »
VR gui is now available for download on www.ps-mc.com.  Many thanks to Cherppow for letting us host it, and also mad props to him for finishing it!

:emerald:

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 07:27:10 pm »
Greetings,

and thanks everyone.

To Lyrah - Thank you. I\'ve been trying to filter out bugs, but one man can only test so much. Let\'s hope that no critical bugs have slipped through my grasp.

To Kwip - Thanks! One reason of why I didn\'t change the main loading backdrop was that I didn\'t want to make it look completely different. Now when you enter the game, you have a familiar feeling. :)

To DivineLight - Aye, a switcher would be good, since people have different tastes. There are players that don\'t like brown woody things, and they should not be forced to use such. Or they might get sad and go play Sony PS instead. ;) A thing that I would like to see is a gui editor program. Much like there is an effect editor, there could be a gui editor, that would allow you to eg.  slide and stretch the widgets to positions you like. This would encourage more players to give it a try and minimize the time needed. Of course, as you said, the devs are busy, and this is not their priority.

To Phinehas and Socrates Demise - An unique gui for each race would indeed be great. Many commercial games actually use this, and it helps keep the game interesting in the long run. The guis would have to be very good quality though, and not some \'backyard contraption\' like mine. ;) This is my first try at gui modification, after all.

To lynx_lupo - Thank you. I miss the crystals, I hope we haven\'t seen the last of them!

To Telumehtar - Aye, a player could either use the race-preset guis, or select one of his own liking... I wonder how this gui choosing could be integrated into the game setting. Buying a new gui/part of gui? Quest related guis: One could get a whole new window of options after completing a certain quests? Experience related guis? Job related guis? Guild guis? Somebody shut me up.

I made some more testing before sending it to ps-mc, mainly in the lower resolutions. It should now work with 640*480 resolution too, though there are more scrollbars and few cosmetic bugs, that I couldn\'t fix without messing the layout in other resolutions. The total file count is 200 and size a bit over 14MB.

Please see VR_gui_readme.xml for more details. Also any questions are welcome here in this thread.

Thanks to PlaneShift Modding Community for hosting VR gui for me. As ArcaneFalcon said, VR gui is now available for download.

Sorry to keep you waiting. Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 07:43:57 pm by Cherppow »

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 09:11:11 pm »
Simply put: AMAZING

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

DivineLight

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 06:21:21 am »
Plane Shift Modding Community? GREAT!

So the Laanx wheel of Wishes is out of the game for supporting fan artists?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 06:24:02 am by DivineLight »
Every one will die in pain except those who were less pain for the others, while they were.....

.~\'| MyBlog | FireFox | Gaim | \'~.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 10:10:03 am »
Hello.

To DivineLight: In LWW people have to host their files themselves, so it would still have left me with the problem of where to upload it. I agree that LWW is a great site, and I miss the times when it was used more actively.