Author Topic: RP vs. PK vs. Level  (Read 1020 times)

athelas

• Traveller
    • View Profile
RP vs. PK vs. Level
« on: November 18, 2002, 08:19:00 am »
I was wondering...what will the final product be like?  Will it be RP based (aka MUSH), PK based (have no example here :( ) or level based (aka Runescape)?

-athelas the newbie
Ash nazg durbatuluk
ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrankatuluk
agh burum-ish krimpatul

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 10:38:08 am »
This is talked about lot, try the newbie forum, There will not be very much PKing, I think it is based on your skill.
The Great Linksunius

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 07:17:27 pm »
RP there will be.  Pk there will be little of.  Levels will not exist, only skills and experience.

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 05:24:14 pm »
I love to roleplay. Playing as your character can be really fun this way. And the PS team decided that not having levels adds to the roleplay effect. There will be pk\'ing in the form of duels and arenas, but past that I don\'t think there will be much other pk\'ing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2002, 05:24:32 pm by Tomaseth »

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 06:05:43 pm »
I for one wish for the day when people will not try to catagorize games into PvP, PvE, RP and such.

You can have all at once with no rules or regulations, its not the game that tends to be at fault but those that do one with out the other, the gank sqauds, doodz, the loot mungers, the carebears.

Its the players that make the game. if a game falls flat since theres rampant newbie slaying and little RPing, thats the players, not the system thats failing.

As for Roleplaying how can one roleplay Evil with out free combat...

Evil bandit lord  - \"im an evil bandit lord... Duel me please\"
Victim   -\"no\"
Evil bandit Lord  - \"Oh come on i cant roleplay this encounter right unless you duel me, want me to stand here and ask you for your money politely?\" .

And how can one Rp good with out free combat,

Bright angelic hero  - \"Halt you, stop the innocent maiming of those farmers cows, he has children to feed!\"
Ruffian  - \"Nah!, you gonna make me, shinny boots?!\"
Bright Angelic hero  - \"Errrr i would if i could... bugger. instead ill stand here and look very dissapointed in you... and wiggle my little finger annoyingly\".

If players roleplayed, and loved roleplaying to the point where they where like so many of teh Muds and mush\'s and FFRPG\'s players where they stayed incharacter all the time, such a system would work..

unfortunatly, those players prefer the mud\'s... **opens the flood gates for all the Twitch shooters, Quake bunnies, hornie teen masses to come fill the vacant world**

Although from what ive seen, most of you lot are dedicated or show some form of dedication to RPing  :]

athelas

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 07:58:46 am »
Unfortunately, with no \"actual\" adverse effects without PKing, and for the RP challenged they might see those as an idle threat and waste of time, thus:

Bright angelic hero - \"Halt you, stop the innocent maiming of those farmers cows, he has children to feed!\"
Ruffian - \"Nah!, you gonna make me, shinny boots?!\"
Bright Angelic hero - \"Errrr i would if i could... bugger. instead ill stand here and look very dissapointed in you... and wiggle my little finger annoyingly\".
Ruddian - Ha!  you little newbie only xxx amount of combat skill, etc.
Ash nazg durbatuluk
ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrankatuluk
agh burum-ish krimpatul

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 11:31:58 am »
thats interesting because I feel that pking is needed, also that finger twitch skill
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 10:54:38 am by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2002, 09:18:04 am »
i think that RP will principally occur with the politic and economy affairs, and the will of players. But i can be wrong ^^

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 12:38:26 am »
cmhitman, I think you are thinking of Quake Death Matches.  Maybe you\'d like to find some of them.