Author Topic: I think pking should be a feature  (Read 6128 times)

*Md*

I think pking should be a feature
« on: December 09, 2002, 10:52:56 am »
Well i read on these boards there will be no pking (player killing) but rather things like duelling in an arena... i play another online roleplaying game that im starting to get bored with but the point is in that game there is both duelling and a pk system... the duelling feature is kind of boring and is hardly used... but the pking part is the best part of that game... a pk system is a lot of fun and this game looks great so far so a pk system in it would be awesome :)

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 02:04:25 pm »
We don\'t care what you think, There will be no pk\'ing.
The Great Linksunius

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 03:03:57 pm »
Link, you are scaring everyone away with your hostile attitude!  :(
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 03:44:47 pm »
Pking will probably not even be considered until the game is totally finished.  I\'d advise you not to waste your breath on the issue, since many before you have tried and have utterly failed.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 04:34:42 pm »
Originally posted by Aruneko
Pking will probably not even be considered until the game is totally finished.  

Pking HAS been considered and it WILL NOT EVER be in the game, that does not mean some do not want it, it just doesn\'t work out

so NO free-range pking, no matter your argument (exception=guild wars)

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 05:09:38 pm »
I meant that there will be no chance of it being allowed until then, because until then there will be no chance of fully testing the system to see if pking would benefit people or not.

*Md*

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 11:32:29 pm »
thanks for your opinion link... stop surfin this board all day and get a life... im not gonna search the whole board to see if this has been brought up im new here... and im not gonna waste my time if i can just post it myself... duelling sux pking is good... the game looks awesome pking would give it a nice boost thats all im saying if you dont like it shut the hell up :)

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2002, 11:59:17 pm »
 If you want one of them hack and slash games look elsewhere.  PS won\'t be one.  No matter what you say or how much you beg.  Hundreds of n00bs have posted a thread exactly like this one and it gets them no where.  You waste our time by not looking through the boards for the answer.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Xaminor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 12:32:57 am »
unfortunatly, there will be hundreds more to attempt to enlighten us with their fetish for pk b/4 this game is even playable.

such postings seem to be a sport of online games.
best practice i have found is to completely ignore them.

peace
xam
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 12:36:33 am by Xaminor »
Icystars  Mage/Fighter

Hunters of Hel
http://www.huntersofhel.web1000.com/

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 12:59:35 am »
I support PKing. as do many others who frequent here. BUT by now we realize the devs simply dont want it in the game. And most of the PK supporters respect that and do not constantly pester the devs with reasons why it should be implemented. In other words, just let it go, because like everyone else has said, no matter how much you ask for it it simply wont happen.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 03:40:05 am »
I want free but restricted PvP... the Caverns of Madness, The Rogues quarter...

ahhh   :(  

Silverblade

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 07:55:10 am »
Yes, as most people have already said, I think it is best that this discussion ends here.

A decision has been made, and it will not be changed. This subject has been gone over, many times before. Feel free to read all about it, in old threads, but there is no need to bring it up again.

Jessyn

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 01:55:32 pm »
besides, can\'t we all just slaughter each other happily during guild wars?

Jessyn
Most things in life operate, not on reality, but the perception of reality.  

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 03:27:29 pm »
To show even further how there is no way to actually controle PvP even the newest MMORPGs in development are not even including any type of PvP, not even duels. It is just impossible, no matter what you think, to ballance a game for both PvE and PvP.

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 06:32:10 pm »
So many pesamistics ^^... UO, its pvp system was great... and monitorable. Its basicly just half baked designs and little thought given that makes PvP in the recent games so faulty and undisrable. The main fualt is that all teh power is given to the Pker, and the victim usualy has little chance to fight back and either runs off or just dies where they stand. In UO players that Pk\'d had a timer, if this timer on kills was exceded within a certain time or there longterm kill count was exceded they became irrivocably open to attack from other players without the same penalties being applied to there attackers and there names where permanatly red, not to mention city gaurds would engage them on sight (unable to bank anywhere but the ungaurded city of pirates(forgot teh name), and they had to do ALOT of work or play there char for along time with out PKing, (however there open to all attacks with no penalties for teh attacks remained in place untill they became blue again) before they could become normal.

The downfall of the PK system in UO how ever was that the class or skill system allowed the Pkers to be both very defesive and very offensive in play style, the infamouse Platemail halebard weilding grand master mages/Fighters combo (which they fixed shortly before i left UO for EQ, ie penalties on mana and spell fizzles based on amounts of metal armor worn during casting).

UO also had a bounty system a player if PK\'d could talk to a special gaurd and the person that last killed them was placed on the bounty list and the pk\'d player could put forward money on there head, some notoriouse Pkers had some very LARGE bounties, some bounties where so high that you could buy a large ingame house from the reward, how ever finding them and disposing of them was a rare occorance, and often PKers would kill them selves adn turn in there own heads to get teh reward.

EQ was the major deathnell of PvP, with its none PvP stance it turned MMorpgs from being some what exciting to exp grinds and item hording and large social chat channels (if you want that sort of thing go play on a FFMMORPG or MUD. Thing is people have become fixed with that aspect and therefore demand it so newer developers remove PvP in favoure for a easier to design PvE only environment and a feel that the mindless masses think they want. and most games with PvP in them are designed from the PvE viewpoint but then have PvP tagged on as a seperate server useing teh combat rules of teh PvE system which ultimatly makes for bug\'s and huge imbalance. In EQ PvP a wizard can take a warrior apart with Roots, nukes and snares in a matter of minutes, and the warrior is helpless, while in the PvE environment teh Wizard needs the warrior inorder to survive since a mob will take teh wizard apart with out the warrior being the meatshield and the warrior needs the wizards nuke to finnish the mob off and to root adds and so forth.

I think now days developers are affraid to give PvP a proper look, and would rather simplifie the game design and coding than stick a well thought out system in. Closest one that so far has succeded is DaoC\'s RealmvRealm system, however even it has its fallbacks, as most combat becomes mass charges rather than co-ordinated attacks and defences,... but its still a fair site better than most PvP of recent years.

I for one will always be an advocate for well designed, realistic PvP (of which i have yet to see a realy good system)... unfortunatley the average player and upcoming players are becoming brainwashed into thinking its nothing but griefing, negative, and un-needed... unfortuanatly I can see why people have come to think that... And for that the blame lays sqaurly on the heads of both Developer and Player.

And kendaro you statement is alittle arrogant... it is possable, no ones realy put the time or imagination into it to get it right. You have to think both like a PvEer and  PvPer at the same time, unfortuantly this is never done. And most upcoming if not all MMorpgs im aware of have some form of PvP in them or another.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 06:40:23 pm by Bigfoot »