Author Topic: I think pking should be a feature  (Read 6260 times)

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2002, 07:20:05 pm »
There\'s nothing wrong with getting rid of some annoying people to relieve some stress, of course, if thats how everyone went by it, i\'d be in some trouble  8o
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 07:20:59 pm by Kiern »

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2002, 06:19:23 pm »
Originally posted by Vengeance
And I wasn\'t being \"touchy\" about that other post either.  On the contrary, I think YOU are being touchy to react so strongly to me saying that if you want a PvP game you should build one.  :-)

The dev team as it stands now are almost all dead set against PvP.  You might as well be arguing that we build it all as a 2d side-scroller.  It isn\'t going to happen.

I think you missed the point of my post.  I was not advocating a whole PvP game.  I am usually not a PvP advocate and I generally do not seek out PvP games.  BUT, I think that a good deal of games would benefit from limited PvP outside of Guild combat.  It adds a level of intensity and danger to areas that need it (places of evil, arenas, etc.).  Perhaps another solution would be to allow chars to run monster characters and restricted to special regions?  

I believe that all \"options\" are good options.  Allowing people to run different rule sets on different servers would be a bonus in my opinion.

Again, it was just a suggestion and I am obviously new to the whole PlaneShift community thing.  As for \"touchy\", your second response was a little less \"bug-off\" than your first and I appologize if I my remark was premature.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2002, 06:31:15 pm »
I think the point was that their not sure how they would implement it, also their busy getting the rest of the game up and they wouldnt want to dedicate a whole server to it, since their not gaining any money from this

Noticed your from texas...were taking over these boards :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 06:32:10 pm by Kiern »

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2002, 06:41:12 pm »
Originally posted by Kiern
and they wouldnt want to dedicate a whole server to it, since their not gaining any money from this

I was talking more about SW dev , not the team running a server itself.  Allowing an option or coding with it mind for future use is not the same as running a server with it.  If someone else wanted to run a PvP server, I think some PvP fans might get together and run their own (or w/ specail PvP option, etc.)  All options are good options.

I noticed the Texas thing too.  What city are you in?

Cyonamie

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2002, 10:44:25 pm »
ill try for the post again, anywho, i think pvp should be realistic yet restricted.  u cant have power-hungry people runnin around choppin off every merchants head as they commute between cities.  i guess after i think aobut it, that would be a problem if it was full pvp, people couldnt go anywhere with out bein jumped.  i dunno, im doin a little thinkin out loud :p

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2002, 10:59:40 pm »
I\'ve not always been a huge fan of PvP or anything, and would most likely not be one to vote for the game to have one (unless someone can convince me otherwise) though I do however, like how they implemented PvP into Dark Ages of Camelot. For those of you who haven\'t played it, basically you start out as your character like most MMORPG\'s. You level, get stronger, what ever. Basically it\'s your own world and you never have to join the PvP part if that\'s the way you want to go.

You start off part of a realm. There are three realms, in each realm there are different classes, races, etc, but everything is pretty much balenced, so each realm has a healer, tank, etc. Then, only if you want to, you go to a large battle ground where you try to penetrate the opposing realms base and just go all out against other groups. It\'s a lot of fun, building up a group, then sending waves of attacks at the opposing realm. You try to sneak across or what ever, and then you keep trying. It was a really interesting way for PvP to be implemented.

I\'ll admit, for someone who wasn\'t a fan of PvP in the past, it was pretty cool. I think this is true, because it\'s not an individual type thing were one person runs around attacking everyone. You work as a team against another team. I was brainstorming that there are ways that PvP can be implemented with out the traditional style everyone always thinks of. But, since PvP will not be implemented in PS, I guess there is no point in exploring those ideas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 11:02:18 pm by Tomaseth »

*Md*

(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2002, 11:25:31 am »
Cyonamie thats why I suggested an area separate that pvp combat could be only done in this area... like towns and things you couldnt attack people... and if you went to the fighting area you could fight... so if your choice is to never fight then you never have to fight... if you wanna fight just go out to the fighting area... oh and if pking is such a bad idea and all... why is my post still on the top of this board with so many replies now?

Xaminor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
he is right
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2002, 01:10:25 pm »
maybe we should switch topics to the language filter programs..

peace,

xam
Icystars  Mage/Fighter

Hunters of Hel
http://www.huntersofhel.web1000.com/

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
My two cents..again
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2002, 01:29:48 pm »
Well I wanted pvp and was disappointed when all the devs turned out to be rpg pussies, but now I\'ve realized it could be just as fun to duel in an arena against other players, that is.... if you guys do it right.
 I think that if you guys make a players current status in the game affect how good he plays in the arena then we\'ll have problems but if you guys some how make the arena battles unreliant on a persons status in the story mode ur whatever you wanna call it then you guys might be able to make a fun arena mode.  make  this a real battle system and not just a leveler massacre. for example in and fps there are people who are good, they just can shoot good and have good mouse clicking reflexes and eye coordination (like me!  :D  ) people need to learn how to be good fighters then there are those of us who were born good (like Me!). This and not a player \"status\" should be factored into the game because it is an intricate and complex skill that is gathered and perfected over time. in short arena battles should be based on learned tactics and \"real\" skill, not earned points stored on the games server that kinda mix with real skill but really just make for unfair play.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 03:11:38 pm by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2002, 01:32:05 pm »
p.s.

link i was here way before you  :D

you can keep the most loyal title. Hell I think they\'ll even give you Brown nose of the year if you keep that crap up
 :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 01:32:58 pm by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2002, 03:51:53 pm »
Yeah hitman, but you have to subtract all the days your NOT here.
The Great Linksunius

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2002, 11:33:10 pm »
the worst type of fan, is a fanboy.... there rarely creative or helpfull, quick to anger, quick to stomp there feet in a hissy if some thing changes and deffend the developers as if the very sun shone from there posteriors.

And Link your are fanboy extreme
« Last Edit: December 17, 2002, 11:33:39 pm by Bigfoot »

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2002, 05:45:36 am »
Bigfoot, go to hell, I am not your fan anymore.
The Great Linksunius

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2002, 07:35:07 am »
You seem to be making a habit of telling people what they are Bigfoot  :P  (NOTICE: I have not left out the smiley this time)

EDIT: I should really learn not to post stuff at 5 in the morning
« Last Edit: December 18, 2002, 04:44:15 pm by Kiern »

Holy_spike

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2002, 11:44:47 pm »
Note: I thought this post was to end since the 4th post....

anywho.... seems like pk just seems way to much of a problem as people would make some character, build it up and go on a homocidal killing spree.  Then everyone would be complaining about how people kill them, then the admins would try to resolve the issue by putting caps on it, then the pro-pk people would be complaining.  So we can completely avoid parts 2-whatever, and not implement the thing in the first place.  Thats my 2 cents about PK.

PS: Happy Holidays all!

:D WOOT! SPRING BREAK! WOOT! :D