Author Topic: PKing YES or NO?  (Read 3873 times)

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
PKing YES or NO?
« on: May 11, 2003, 07:16:32 pm »
I already know what the admins plan to do as far as PKing and Arenas but I just wanted to know what everyone thinks, do you want PKing? just answer yes or no and whatever comment you want.
children in the back seat cause accidents
accidents in the back seat cause children

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 09:21:31 pm »
I don\'t pk\'ing, I hate pk\'ing, if pk\'ing were a person, I\'d kill him. When I play an MMORPG, I don\'t think of greed, I want to enjoy the game with other people. With pk\'ing people hate each other even more just because of a few coins that they lost. I rather fight with a team of people against a big dragon. If there should happen to be pk\'ing which I hope there isn\'t, they should keep it in one little arena and that\'s it.
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

explorer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 09:38:03 pm »
Speaking of fighting big dragons, I think as the dragon/whatever big creature there is population decreases, the creature should become stronger, making it harder and harder to kill.
Terragen manipulator, photoshop wannabe.

Planeshift name: Demoritus, but you can call me \"god\"
Avast.

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 10:20:57 pm »
Originally posted by Kuiper7986
I don\'t pk\'ing, I hate pk\'ing, if pk\'ing were a person, I\'d kill him.

u kinda contridicting urself their... ur pkin him.... ;)
Join the Legendary Warriors at http://www.legendarywarriors.tk and feel real power and wealth

explorer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 11:17:52 pm »
Not unless pk ment person killing.. In the sense of pking I think in game, that would be irl.. Cant say I wouldnt blame Kuiper tho  :P
Terragen manipulator, photoshop wannabe.

Planeshift name: Demoritus, but you can call me \"god\"
Avast.

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 11:18:49 pm »
(in a Homer Simpson voice) Why You little........!
(starts choking bonez) :)
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

Mehallie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 02:45:15 am »
Hm,  here, try this stick here, you broke the last one beating this dead horse, have another few whacks....

If I wanted PKing I\'d play another game.  They\'ve already said, no PK.  No PK.  Read the text.  No PK.  So why keep going on about it?

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 05:46:45 am »
cause there seem to be a lot of people who do want pk, they won\'t let it go.

And when those have accepted it, a new bunch comes along wondering why this game hasn\'t got the pk they so love.
Then they make a thread about it and then the whole horde decides to make their own thread about it. This\'ll fade until the next load of pk\'ers comes along who don\'t understand.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 05:47:06 am by Keldorn »
m.vanes

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 06:29:44 am »
i think the devs already sait there\'ll be limited PK ...that is in \"arenas\" or better said in certain areas ...i\'m more against PK, but the \"arena\" idea is very exceptable and is a compromise between both the contradictory positions - the PK and anti-PK
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

Mehallie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 09:18:05 am »
The problem with compromises is that it often never pleases everyone entirely.  I\'ve seen the limited PvP thing implemented.  It usually annoyed the non PK\'ers to hear someone in the arena howling for either a rez or a spar partner or that so-and-so is a cheater, and the PK crowd pisses and moans that the entire game isn\'t PvP because \"an arena is lame\".

You can\'t please everyone - the dev\'s should try to please themselves in this regard.

Gormaz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 08:53:49 am »
I agree with Mehallie, you can\'t please, everyone when you are making  a game, so the devs will do the game that they want.

I think the DO take attention to the propositions in this forums, but in the end they are the boss.

I too don\'t really want pking , but i agree for a limited one, in some areas clearly defined.

@Kuiper7986 : i Love your sign ;)
Character : Thogrim, a Stonebreaker Male with red beard and clothes

Thynett

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 01:36:56 pm »
I didn\'t want to enter the PK discussion, but well ^^

No computer intelligence can overtop a human one. No AI has all the genius a human brain has, no processer is powerful enough to predict a human spirit.

Thus you will never find a stronger opponent than a player. All dragons can be killed. All teritories can be explored. The only way to find a real adversary is to struggle against other players.

And THAT is the reason why it important to build a livable SOCIETY, and THAT is the reason why competition between players must be enforced, and THAT is why players will soon realise that teaming up is the best way to archieve something, and THAT is the reason why an absolute forbidding of PvP would be ridiculous. And THAT is why the guild wars / arenas / whatever is proposed by the devs are a necessity.

All our societies are based on competition. And all societies not based on competition failed (look at comunists). Why would it be different on a game where players play for their own pleasure ?

Saying \"we must build a society where teaming up will be enforced\" is absurd if there is no goal at teaming up.  Everyone would just play on their own, or only with the same friends. Interaction means competition. But competition doesn\'t mean hate. You can become friend of your opponents.

Conflict (I mean RP conflict : religion war, racism (like elves and dworves),  greed of power, competition between guilds, arguments...) is the main way to make the world alive. And on medieval times, conflict was often solved with weapons and blood.

I don\'t totally agree with the guild war that the devs promoted, but since there is no better idea, I cannot but be convinced that it is the best choice until the final game is released. And also that discussing it will only irritate players AND devs.

To sum up : everything to enforce conflict, and to widen the ways to solve them (arenas, but also chess, cards or whatever) cannot but be sources of RP, and everyone would find a \"cathegory\" he would fit.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 01:48:52 pm by Thynett »

Cthulhu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 04:03:52 pm »
Well, I actually can not understand this whole discussion. If the devs did not want to implement PKing because of some principles they have (which would be beyond me... but it\'s their game), OK, accepted.
But it seems to be based at the argument that PKing would be destroying the athmosphere of the game. And that is what is a paradox to me - how can something that is real destroy the athmosphere of something that wants to be an alternate reality?

I know, there are these idiots who run aroud slaughtering people, with a perfect commnity of players who actually play for the sake of playing, there would no restrictions be needed - just like in real life.
But as long as they can not be banned from the game effectively, why not just let them decide for themselves?
Make it possible to decide wether you want to do PKing (and get killed, too, of course) or if you dont (and are invulnerable to player attacks). Of course, you should only be able to set it once a week or something, and with a whole day of waiting untill it is actually changed. Like this, noone will complain (except the die hard newbie slaughterers... but who needs them anyways?), because he can play the way he wants.
Then set some \'peace zones\', where noone can kill a player, like major cities, and make this setting available to guilds, too - and everything will be fine.

It is just as easy.

/c

Thynett

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
The final word goes to the devs :
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 04:16:55 pm »

paxx (Developer ? Member) ? More on PKing
\"Ok, I?ll clear this last thing up?and this is it, because now I feel stupid going on with this, it is truly pointless to continue until the game is in beta.

50% of the land in the game means 50% of all the land in the game will probably be open to guilds having at each other in some way or another if they are at war, or at least hostile to each other.

This may or not be implemented as written depending on how things in beta goes.

Beta will not happen till many other things are resolved, like combat and equipment?so perhaps ask again in 14 months.

We will not have any consequences for a legal PK and no consequences for illegal PK (there won?t be any) some guilds may even choose to be at war with everyone, thus allowing all war type guilds to be killed by them or to kill them?but that will have to be tested and tried, I am sure it will not be as simple as that.

I have not said Arenas will be the only place guilds can kill each other, the arenas will have different settings and some will be a free for all grand melee, others where you can group will have group on group abilities?others only those of different races or different guilds can attack each other?the possibilities boggle the mind.

As for 90% of the other possible ways to implement PvP it will not be done. No one will be able to pick a player at random and kill them, except in arenas meant for that?the world will have more order then that.

As for your concept that finding someone is hard?it is not a factor because it won?t happen, but in other games with PvP servers?it is done on a regular basis.

If you want PvP there are plenty of other choices, we simply do not want to deal with the grief and the many balancing factors that come with PvP. This is a game about community, not about getting jollies killing people because they pissed you off, you will be able to ignore them.

As for enhancing the game?PvP can enhance many games but this is one that will not feature it. There are many things I feel would enhance many games, but you can?t have all the bells and whistles in a game or you just have a lot of bells and whistles and not a game.

I do not see an issue with this stance, it is simply not going to be there. I personally would love to play a GTA MMORPG, but this is not it nor will it be.\"

And the final word...

acraig (Administrator) ? More on PKing
\"All I can say is give us a chance to come up with a definite system first.\"

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2003, 02:00:51 am »
I have to say, PKing is fun sometimes.

BUT

if you have open pk capabilities, you invite griefers to come into play.

does anyone see the problem with this? I play on DT, the pk server of asherons call, I don\'t know how many, if any of you play AC, but there is a definite problem with griefers on that server, you log on as a fresh lvl one n00b, and the second that you leave portal space, you find yourself BACK in portal space, you\'ve just had your first PK death.  In five minutes, when you return to pk status, you are dead again, because a griefer has followed you from the starting outpost, and it continues forever. of course, that is an exaggeration, because very few have the patience to put up with it. most log after a few moments. I was only able to manage getting to lvl 15 because I play late at night, and early in the  morning, when there are few players on that world. even with the late night hours, and my low lvl, I\'ve managed to accumulate roughly 60 deaths, it\'s a pain. My daytime hours are spent on leafcull where I can be safe from lvl 126 characters hunting me down like a rabbit.

like I said, I enjoy pk myself, but if you make any game open pk, it would make it completely out of reach for any casual, gamer, and would drive most new gamers away. I vote for that old standy, the pk server...
we are the music-makers, we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder as willy wonka

Johnny Depp\'s a poser to the throne. No one will ever play the part as well as Gene Wilder