Author Topic: How should the PVP system work?  (Read 7024 times)

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
How should the PVP system work?
« on: January 03, 2002, 10:07:23 pm »
Please give feedback on this poll.

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 10:19:05 pm »
Well I think my vision of how PK should work is a bit of a few of those options. I think that there should be areas like arenas to have set as open PK. Anyone entering them do so knowing that anyone at all can kill them that is also in the arena. I also think duels are a must. This is mutual combat between two players and agree on terms of the duel. Then I also believe in an area in the outskirts of the world where things are completely hostile. Here there will be limits as well. It would depend on your alinement on who you can or cannot PK. A good alined can\'t harm another good alined and same goes with evil aligned. It would probably be a lot of work but I feel personally that to do PK right and give it meaning in a RPG there has to be a code and no one should just be able to kill anyone else without cause or rules allowing it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2002, 10:36:53 pm by Kendaro »

Flik

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 11:52:18 pm »
I played a game called \"Call of the Warlords\".  In it, when you wanted to attack a country, you sent them a decleration of war.  They could either respond to it, and start the state war.  Or leave it, and the state war would start automatically after a set amount of time.  I really liked this version, but it might be kinda hard to implement in a RT-RPG.
\"Today I:
Quit my job, then I told my boss to f*ck off, then I blackmailed him for 60,000$\"

whitti

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2002, 12:05:59 am »
:P  You should have LIMITED pking. That means LIMITED. Arena fights (which we have) are a MUST HAVE as well as clan/ group wars.

As I posted on the old forums we should have some sort of Holy war between an incoming Cult and Talad and LAanx

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Limited PKing
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2002, 07:35:51 am »
I would make it like Best of the Best in EQ, personally.  Make things like tournaments in arenas possible, but otherwise not.

My enhancement to that idea is that maybe by doing well in the tournament, people would be rewarded with something.  Perhaps a title like \"the Conqueror\" after their name or something so everyone can see how good they are.

I liked the idea someone had about only attacking players with opposite alignments (good vs. evil) too.

Firestorm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2002, 02:02:36 pm »
The has always been my picture of the PVP system in Planeshift:

Two forms of arena exist
A. The Gamblers Arena
Before entering the arena each of the participants in the fight ante an item and agree upon eachothers items as an ante. They then fight in the arne, afterwhich the winner receives all the anteed items.

B. The Bloodied Arena
This is an arena geared toward showing your stregnth. The only money involved is the bidders on the fight. You could work out that a group of friends bid on you, and if you win they pay you but in general money is left to the gamblers arena. Winner of the fight gains nothing but Honor

In addition if two players decide that they will deul for a perpose, such as ownership of disputed land or something of that nature they must find a witness- a moderator - and the moderator will settle the issue based on the winner.
Players may also deul in public for the sport, but deuling is not allowed in the city. Both players must agree for the deul to take place.

what do ya think?

Firestorm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2002, 02:08:16 pm »
BTW I look stupid
How do I gain devel status on these boards?

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2002, 04:37:16 am »
I like the Arena idea, but i\'m still not sure how big these arenas will be

could you give the arenas scale measurements? (if there are any)

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2002, 04:48:46 am »
think of an arena that you go see or watch a profetional sports game like football at... that is how arenas were used back in the day. so they are still going to be similar in size as the ones of today. able to seet many spectators and a play field(so to speek) able to support many participants....

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2002, 05:15:11 am »
cool :) i like the idea of watching a guild war :)

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2002, 08:13:51 am »
I would say PK all the way! If you\'re fighting a monser together with some mates, you\'ll have to watch out for them. if PK is not allowed you could just throw a fireball into your party hoping to kill every monster they\'re fighting with....

Thekkur

Buechler

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2002, 09:42:40 pm »
I agree with Thekkkur Pvp should be allowed. Meaning anyone within 3-4 levels of a player could attack someone.  This still woud protect a level 5 from getting killed by a lvl 10, or a lvl 1 from getting killed by a lvl 6,etc.  Plus theres gonna be vigilant city  guards.  
The more danger involved in the game the more fun it will be.  Please everyone support total PVP!!

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2002, 10:51:39 pm »
I think Kendaro once said that total PvPing scares off more people than it brings it, and I beleive he was right most people don\'t like PK

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2002, 11:02:15 pm »
i think you have that backwards a bit Thekkur... if there was total PK then you couldn\'t and wouldn\'t try and throw a fire ball in there. area spells would now do harm to your own group. you could be trying to kill a monster and wind up killing a member of your party. or maybe someone from outside of the group sees you in danger with more than one monster. he couldnt try his area effect spell to attackj them or he would just kill you trying... if you go full out PK you just end up making players not want to interact with each other. not by purpose but that tends to be the side effect caused. look at UO. full out PK and no one wants to work with one another. they all just want to do solo and powergame. that is completely against the way they originaly wanted the game to be played. after all it was ment to be a RPG but now it is just a kill em all thing. all out PK will kill the RPG aspect of this game FAST. it will be left to power gamers and griefers.

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2002, 11:06:43 pm »
i like the idea of pking all the way but lets say you have consent to the fight if he is not within 10 or so levels,

other wise some people who have beaten the role playing part of the game might just give PS up because it gets boring