Author Topic: How should the PVP system work?  (Read 7021 times)

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2002, 11:11:52 pm »
other wise some people who have beaten the role playing part of the game might just give PS

you must mean role playing as in quests, I hope planeshift will have a different type of roleplaying

Roleplaying in this game should be like acting, you have to play the role of your character, thus making the game endless if you are good at it

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2002, 11:16:11 pm »
there is nothing to be beaten in role playing.. you are constantly going to have new quests, places to explore, artifacts to find, and so on and so on and so on. it is a never ending thing. thing that would get boring to me is to go play a game for power alone. to just hack and slash my way through a game with no player interaction is a snooze for me. so what if i can do 396 points of damage in the blink of an eye. finding that lost city is more exciting.

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2002, 11:17:30 pm »
after you do so many quests or you \"act\" for so long it will get boring

and one of the things that i most like about these kind of games is that aftering you get bored doing quests and what not you can go and have fights with people which takes more effort and is exiting
especially guild wars

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2002, 11:22:02 pm »
Couldn\'t Guild wars and Player fighting be done in Arenas?

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2002, 11:23:29 pm »
after you do so many quests or you \"act\" for so long it will get boring

and one of the things that i most like about these kind of games is that aftering you get bored doing quests and what not you can go and have fights with people which takes more effort and is exiting
especially guild wars

thats what dueling, arenas, and guild wars are for. that has nothing to do with all out PK. there is an option to fight. forcing everyone to fight even if they dont wish to, would just push people away from the game. all out PK would make it so everyone would have to weather they like it or not. just running a duel system along with arenas and guild war options allows it to be a mutual thing between those that want to fight other players.

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2002, 11:36:52 pm »
so what your saying is that all out pking has nothing to do with what i am talkin bout

so you will have the pk areas all around and close to every place on the entire game becuse i might not wanna go all the was to an arena just to fight somone on the spot just for fun

what your saying will discourage pking altogether if i ask somone to fight and they say \"yes\" then i say how close the nearest place to fight is and what then if they say \"nm to far\"

NecromancerZeal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2002, 07:59:44 am »
I like the Idea, \"Attack some one in a specific areas\". Why would it be any fun if you where in town, trying to buy some weapons, When... Some Lvl 78 Trying to kill you. That would be unfair.

There should be specific places where you can fight, and you can only be 5 lvls ahead, and below to fight other people.

Example:

Lvl 15, He can fight a lvl 20 (5 lvls above him) and he can fight a lvl 10 (5 lvls below him)

Thats a good way to stop higher lvl people from killing low lvl people.

Now lets say you want to kill a high lvled person. Well there would be other places where the rules did not apply. (Mostly in areas far away from towns)

A good way to use the fighting system on the first demo. :D
Leader of AzureOrder

AzureOrder

Kerrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2002, 06:45:01 pm »
I agree with Kendaro - full out PK is a BAD thing. Look at RS - for a while it was \"PK anywhere\" and it turned into an everyone for himself, power-gaming atmosphere. Even with the Wilderness (the only PK zone in the game) it\'s still pretty bad. While limiting PvP to certain areas isn\'t quite within the bounds of reality, it would encourage those who are interested in roleplaying, rather than power-gaming. There should be someplace to fight other players though, simply for roleplaying purposes, i.e. guild wars and arena combat. As far as guild wars, you could have one guild declare war on another guild, and if the war is accepted, members from either guild can attack members of the other guild anywhere, anytime (but ONLY members of those guilds). Of course, then you\'d have to have some method of distinguishing who\'s in what guild, and making it so only those players can be attacked, and blah blah blah... well, maybe it\'s not such a good idea.
  What do you mean by \"declaring hostility\"? I assume that\'s the same as \"challenging to a duel\". Duelling should be included also, with the option that you can ignore all challenges, if you don\'t want to be pestered all the time.
There is a world in which I am alone.
A world which nobody can enter.
A world which nobody can know.
This is my world.

- Anonymous.

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2002, 08:23:44 pm »
duelling can be held inside an arena. In arena\'s there might also be gladiatorplays, with prizes set by moderator PC\'s. To draw spectators to the fights items can be given to players who enter the arena (thinking of bread and games).

Another option for PK is to only allow player killing/damaging other players only when ENEMY is IN SIGHT. This would mean that you can accidently hurt players when casting a fireball onto a monster, but you can\'t when you cast into the other direction, as for you can only cast a fireball onto a player when an enemy is in sight.

It wouldn\'t be worth casting a fireball onto both another player and the monster just to kill the player, as for XP is shared with other players attacking the monster.  This means the player that attacks the monster is your ally, and the sooner you kill him, the more work you\'ll have to do yourself.

Thekkur

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2002, 01:09:26 am »
i like the idea of having to be within a certain level to pk in town and being able to fight anyone outside of town

but, i think, even if your very close to the town but outside the other person should have to accept a fight

but when your far far out it should be all out pk

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Arenas!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2002, 01:29:24 am »
All out PK is for Unreal tourny.
This is a RPG and should think about RPing rather than gaining items.

I want to be able to explore a distant lands without fear of other players.

Fear makes people not trust each other, which makes them want to go solo.

I think Arenas are the best way to go, you can\'t really explore an arena like you can a distant land. Distant lands are meant to be explored by RPers but PKers stop that from happening, thus making the RPers shy away or turn into PKers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2002, 01:30:04 am by Kendrick »

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2002, 01:38:04 am »
kendrick, isn\'t fear part of tough living? you can\'t call an adventurer someone who\'s afraid of fera... in real dark ages you\'ll have too deal with corruption, treason, and stealing too. battling a gang of evil PC\'s together with your friends can be as much fun as battling NPC\'s. as long as these robbers get the chance of organising themselves (by allowing them to set up bases in caves and so on.

ppl, look at my post! what  about this line of sight system combined with a duelling system?

Thekkur

Kendrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2002, 01:59:46 am »
I call adventurer anyone who seeks adventure.
problem with all out PK is it\'s very disorganized,  PKing is good, and fun, but with PK comes RPK (Random Player killing) such as...

your admiring the giant mountians that stand before you, when a complete stranger runs up to you and attacks for no reason!

I think you must have a reason for attacking, not just running after a person because it looks fun

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2002, 03:09:30 am »
how bout this kendrick (also to PS members)

there could be walls allong the paths to different places and these walls would be considered in town and there would be guards there as well

the same rules would apply for the paths as there was for intown

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2002, 09:06:53 am »
there might also be player GM\'s that look for bad language/PKing without reason and other unsuitable acts commited by players.

and face it: PKing(or just stalking) in 3D online games occurs much less than in birdseye perspective games like RS.

Thekkur