Author Topic: Baldur's Art Thread  (Read 35472 times)

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
Re: Baldur's Art Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2007, 08:11:23 am »
Apples and oranges, as they say - you're comparing odd (and often, rather distorted) creatures to inanimate objects. You might as well try comparing a bacteriophage to a '62 Lincoln Continental. *shrug*

They're really cool, Baldur - that staff's texturing reminds me very strongly of the glass armor & weaponry from Morrowind. I wonder if it's been stuffed in-game yet? Must locate and obtain it, if so - very awesome. Hehe, I even remember seeing the WIP shots of that kitchen knife (I also recall feeling a little inadequate at that point, given how good it was - and is).

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2007, 08:44:10 am »
Apples and oranges, as they say - you're comparing odd (and often, rather distorted) creatures to inanimate objects. You might as well try comparing a bacteriophage to a '62 Lincoln Continental. *shrug*
That's not quite it. It's a matter of comparison between folk and fantasy styles. For example, look at the seax. The texture here has some very rich decorations, making it very fantasy-styled. With folklore tradition, you'd be aiming at decorations that are perhaps a bit more complex, but all the same very subtle.

All in all, Baldur's "Astu" picture is what strikes me as definite folk art.
AKA Skald

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2007, 02:31:48 pm »
I had short schedules so I had to find quick methods in short time :)
I'm not sure yet what my style in texturing is. I'd say alot of it lies in patterns. I never consider something complete until it shows a pattern. I never came to creating creatures during my time in the prospects department, probably because it would take too much time perfecting the textures with my current style.

You've probably seen a difference between the two mediums i've used. Mostly because the penwork always give a feeling of gloom to me(some might wonder why i'm depressed after finishing a piece) and texturing was nearly the opposite.

I understand Draklar's argument in that the pieces lack depth, and I must apply to that conclusion. Texturing is a difficult craft. The deadlines don't give me much time to work on the shadows which my pencil-style relies on.

Thank you, Kieve I hope they bring much joy. My primary goal has always been to leave a mark, an asset, in this game in which I put much trust in. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:59:52 pm by Baldur »

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2007, 05:01:14 pm »

Hey there :)

Selfportrait in South Park style.

"At his side rests his ever vigilant Toast Minion and Pen to fulfill every day."

Lord, how I hate the Gimp. I'm going to look for a PS application...

Edit: I'm sorry if the background stings the eyes :S
Edit2: Changed it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:13:43 am by Baldur »

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2007, 05:12:54 pm »
 :lol:

i tink i told u so!!  :oops:

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2007, 05:14:01 pm »
Awwww's how cute! I like your suit! Can you make me one?  >o) I know what I would look like as an anime character and seeing what I look like as a south park character would only add to my collection!
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Anumesa

« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2007, 09:55:32 am »
You are my hero  ;D

So funny!!!

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2008, 04:36:33 pm »

A concept on a kiosk which is part of my project where I'm looking to present ideas which could spark a redesign of the walk outside my school.

The kiosk will be in a small pocket between two buildings. The surroundings will be consisting of trees and grass. An eliptical area of bricks and tile stones will be right by the kiosk and have tables and chairs for those who would like to sit out, perhaps pleasantly munching on a snack.

The kiosk will be serving what the indoors cafeteria serves(coffee, sweets, fruit, tea...) and therefore doesn't have a chimney.

Which materials it will consist of are probably organic as it should be easily replacable by environmental standards.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2008, 07:21:30 am »

The arborphile returns. :)

I know i haven't been updating for ages. I've been busy with school, the city contest as well as some contributor-work and school projecting. It's all coming up in bounds and leaps.

In this i tried to get as much tree texture as I could, I'll probably be continuing to work on this.

"WIP this is" -Yoda

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2008, 07:38:54 am »
Hmm, it is ... it is ... living. 

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2008, 07:54:27 am »
its inspiring
* Nikodemus wonders if he is looking at some tentacles
it looks a bit like a giant sea serpent

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2008, 09:36:43 pm »
* Baldur sets the shovel aside, shuffling aside of what dirt is left covering the "Post reply" button. He deliberately ignores the ornate tombstone sitting beside him. As Baldur looks down the maw -of already months of decay- he begins writing.

Name: Rangoroi
Size: That of a threestorey building(estimate of normal tree silhouetted)
Description: One of the most gargantous trees of the Adraax region. The Rangoroi's trunk is, unlike most tree's, hollowed and hosts a great range of animals along with a personal echo system following the inhabitants.

Pollination/Breeding

Due to the immense hostel the tree serves it's inhabitants care for the pollination. In early spring the floor is covered by a fine powdder. As bees accidentally carry the seeds of flowers so does the little fellows in the trunk care for much of it's breeding grown everywhere. Premature seeds function as a soft rug in middle summer before they harden into the hook form and loosen in the fall. You might say the tree's insides is a seedhouse as in that of  an apple but of an immensely larger scale.

Lifecycle
Unbelievably yet true this hulk of the plant kingdom resides within a 2cm hook during it's first months. Seeds are carried out by scouring critters and various other animals scouring for food.

Common use

Seeds are known to become sterile after the seeding season when the snow falls in late fall. Fishers are often seen scouting for the small treasures. Drying appears not to slow down the fertility therefore travellers should take caution against biological contamination on the upper levels.

This was image was a draft for a good friend, based on the Adraax area. At the time I thougth it crude and didn't care to post such art but on a closer look it looked acceptable. So here it is, backed up by a swiftly scrabbled down imaginary biography(? :D)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2008, 01:08:51 am »
You seem to usually prefer the "willow" kind of tree design. Of course, it is one of the more irregular.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2008, 09:56:52 am »
You seem to usually prefer the "willow" kind of tree design. Of course, it is one of the more irregular.
True, I love irregular trees. Once you know how to draw them they're great for artist blocks :)

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:11 am »
Your tree rendering technique is simply incredible. The last one reminds me of human forms captured inside the tree.
A new day, a new failure!