Author Topic: Lets talk about what happens when you die!  (Read 681 times)

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Lets talk about what happens when you die!
« on: September 20, 2002, 07:31:40 pm »
I\'ve got a few questions:

What should you do to get out of the \'Death Realm?\'

If you get killed by someone in a guild war, will they get some items you dropped?

I\'ve read the FAQ, and it says you\'ll get all of your items. Doesn\'t that mean that you can die whenever you want and get your punishment? Personally, I like Runescape\'s idea of you keeping your 3 best items, but losing all the rest.

Please answer these questions or throw in your two cents on the discussion of dying.

*Holds out collecting tin*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 08:53:43 pm by Wormtail_ »
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Cthulu

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 07:38:19 pm »
the death realm idea is lame, it would become massively populated and the actual realm wouldnt, you should just respawn at the nearest city with your corpse at the location of your death. the only pking is arenas and duels, i dont think it would be appropriate to have them be able to loot your corpse, and how do you judge what your best items are? different items are used in different situations, and though they differ wildly in stats can be equally valuable, you should be able to keep all your items, mabye just lose your pocket coins
~Cthulu

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 08:32:34 pm »
I\'ve heard that you can PK freely during guild wars in a post about pking. And about duels and arenas, perhaps both players should agree to drop certain items if they are defeated. In Runescape, it was the 3 items worth the most money. I think you should choose which items you want to keep or lose. I imagined the Death Realm to be a large place, because your supposed to get out of it, and I think that\'s supposed to be challenging.

Quoted from FAQ;
I died and lost all my stuff, can I have it back?

After dying your char will travel in the Death Realm, and if you can get out of there you will have your items and money back.

Besides, looting corpses is not exactly what i\'m talking about. It\'s to make players wary of dying.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 08:55:59 pm by Wormtail_ »
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Cthulu

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 08:37:06 pm »
So, say you have a guild/group of people (around 30) together to take down a monster, you get it down to about 50% life and then you all wipe, everyone is sent to the death realm and has to get out, and leave that monster up to the next group of people who come along? you have wasted your prep time and your time fighting that monster, not to mention the time it takes just to get out of the death realm. also i imagine if there was a death realm after a while you would know how to get out pretty easily, so it becomes useless, if you do get sent to a death realm, it should just be until someone ressurects you

also, about losing items, its stupid, everyone is going to die at some point, should they have to lose all but three of their items because of it? no, and this would drive players away rather than bring them in
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 08:38:16 pm by Cthulu »
~Cthulu

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 08:50:32 pm »
It doesn\'t have to be 3 items, and it was just a suggestion. It could be any system, as long as it prevents players from taking large risks again. Anyways, I was just getting my questions from the FAQ. Anyways, who would want to die all the time? People get more wary of dying each time they die, too. Resurrecting(sp?) can also instantly take players out of the death realm, if there is one. Also, dying and keeping all of your items will just spur players on to take big risks instead of being cautious, which is a good thing, in my opinion. I think this\'ll be my last post on arguing about the Death Realm(if it exists) for a while, I think. I was never good at arguing, anyways...  :( Or is that a good thing?  ?(
-Richard Nixon

-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 10:31:50 pm »
how about if you die you lose half the expirience points you have to use on skills?
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Cthulu

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 10:53:50 pm »
half is kind of steep, especially at high levels, but there definitly should be expirience lost
~Cthulu

Zig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2002, 11:21:48 pm »
any eq players? dude where\'s my corps? lol seriously though, i think the only penatly for dieing should be that you actualy have to go back and retrieve youre dead corps to get youre stuff back, they also do it that way in diablo, if the corps is not found with in a certain time lets say one week of actual game time wether the player is one or not the corps decays and all its gear is exposed for other people to grab, also the other players should be able to see the corps too so they can help stupid people find theres or to just camp around it and wait to see if anyone comes for it. If you dont have you stuff then getting your corps would be a difficult task and plenty of punishment for anyone so misfortunate to perish in combat by the hands of a duel or random monsters.
~ZiG~?

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2002, 11:34:17 pm »
I think you should lose your 3 best items and keep the rest, if someone murders you are they just going to take your cheap stuff or the gold rolex on your wrist?
The Great Linksunius

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2002, 04:40:20 am »
Originally posted by Cthulu
half is kind of steep, especially at high levels, but there definitly should be expirience lost

i think you misunderstood what i was trying to say...from what ive heard from some of the devs, you will gain expirience by doing various things. and you put those expirience points into a skill, or split the expirience and divide it up into different skills or however you wanna do it. and since most people will spend these experiance points as soon as they can, losing half isnt all that bad. unless youve saved up  bunch and die. yea that would suck then.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2002, 06:00:56 am »
i\'ve seen some ideas about the dying part in the game, and its gonna be well-figured out dont worry :)

-Xolon-

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2002, 01:02:01 pm »
Originally posted by Cthulu
... everyone is going to die at some point...

Not me :) :P

Vildaar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2002, 01:05:48 pm »
The progression system is very complex and difficult to understand without some guidance, but it wouldnt be prudent of me to post exactly what happens, but yes, you do get experience from various things like killing monsters and doing quests, death still has yet to be figured out.
PlaneShift  - Rules Department