Author Topic: IG Aging  (Read 1135 times)

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
IG Aging
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:36:20 pm »
How does your character age? The same speed as they would in rl? Six times faster than that, like the rest of the time (afaik) in PS? Are they just eternally the same age? Or something different? I doubt there's any "right" answer, but I'd like to know how the majority of players rp this.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Re: IG Aging
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »
It can be seen in the age discussion: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=35828.0

-sig by sarras

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »
Thanks, that was interesting, but I guess I didn't explain my question well enough. ^^;
Regardless of the races' lifespans, how many cycles will the average player say their character has aged, by whatever that race's aging rate is (or in human years), for every rl year? If someone's character is, say, 30 cycles old one year, will they say the character is 31 the next year? Or 36? Or still 30?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »
time doesn't pass atm

i did age my character from 16 to 17 however

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
It's sad that klyros only live up to 50 years...  :'(

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
* Sarras Volcae hands falcon avian a bag of narcotics

:)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:44:38 pm »
Often Players that have been around awhile are reluctant to let their characters age at all as in the past 1 RL year was equal to 6 Yliakum years. As you can imagine, people would be killing off their characters a lot faster than they intended, especially if they played diaboli.

Some people would choose to age their character as the RP called for it. If you had a child character and you wanted to start to make a warrior out if it. You might just decide to start RPing them as a 20 years old and just not worry about all the time in between.

Some people choose to just periodically age their character by a year. How often that happens depends on the person.

Some people never age their character as the character's age plays an important part in how they RP them. For instance, an innocent child, a headstrong youth, a wise elder, etc...

A few things to consider:
If you are RPing with other characters and their characters aren't aging, it shouldn't become problematic to age your character until you age your character out of an entire age group (i.e. child, teenage, adult, etc..)  That causes the RP dynamics to shift a bit and can cause some inconsistencies. However, if everyone is cool with the inconsistency then it's not really a problem.

For whatever reason, people typically skip the teenage years. So if you play a child character and then you put it on the shelf for awhile, only to bring it back as an adult, I don't think anyone will mind much.

Currently time in Yliakum is more like the passage of real time. Their days correspond to ours so aging is slower now and should be less of a problem.

Rigwyn

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:41:05 pm »
Setting-wise you have been left in the dark with regard to time. The current date is unknown and its *groundhog day* so its always the same date.
During the course of a day time passes by six times faster than earth time.

Because groundhog day means that yesterday and tomorrow can never exist, groundhog day would be a real rp killer.

This is what I say: play as if time does progress day by day, just say far far away from dates. As soon as you start making up your own dates, your heading for a conflict.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:39:34 pm »
Techincally, the six times thing is history now. As shown below, it's not the same day anymore but it might be good to assume that the year still stays the same despite the passing of days and seasons.

To answer the question of time is still not an easy task. That said, we have been working on this recently and it was decided that while keeping the IG day/night ratio, we would make the IG months spread over a real time 12 month period. As PS only has 10 months, there are 36 days to each PS month. By doing this players still get to experience day and night in PS but can still associate RL seasons and holidays with PS.
The months will be broken down as follows:

Unodin 1st April – 6th May

Byari 7th May – 12th June

Treman 13th June – 18th July

Kravaan 19th July – 23rd August

Quintahl 24th August – 28th September

Azhord 29th September – 4th November

Ylaaren 5th November – 10th December

Dwanden 11th December – 15th January

Novari 16th January – 21st Febuary

Yndoli 22st Febuary – 31th March

We hope that this is useful and that you can now start with seasonal events. This of coarse also allows you to use IG dates too.
Enjoy.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:14:59 pm »
Until 1.0 there are no dates and no real passage of time, but act as if it is for your character. That's all. You also don't need to be consistent with your character's aging..some older players pretend their character is younger than they actually are (if you were consistent).

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:49:08 am »
Or just use general terms like "young adult", "middle age", or "elderly"
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
yep, I keep Emmara's age kinda vague....but around human equivalent of 20 years as a basis for physical prowess, lower RP wisdom from lack of life experience, etc.

While characters are ageless atm in IG; I know I'm not the only one that didn't like the idea of my character aging IG while I'm away from the game for an extended period in RL. If age and passage of time IG was strictly played out, then some people that have to leave the game for long periods of time would return to find their characters dead from the passage of IG time, lol.
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 08:57:31 pm »
Akaiddo's definitely aged in his time in PS.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:29:02 pm »
I like to age Kull to a point where he has just a few gray hairs, so the ladies know hes experienced but he still has the energy for afternoon delights.  ;D

Overtherainbow

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I see you lookin' at mah rainbowz.
    • View Profile
    • EBONWUMON DOT COM
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »
Exclusively ladies?