Author Topic: I think RP is...  (Read 2697 times)

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: I think RP is...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:20 pm »
I think RP is an amazing experience that lets you take a break from your life and control an interesting, unique character in an imaginative world. If you have the creativity and patience, you can write the story of someone who goes through discoveries, conversations, battles, friendships, and any other experiences that change them and lead to memorable points in their life. Role playing is getting to choose what a character is like at first, and then letting them grow and change their world a little through their interactions with others. (If you go by the whole "role play is holy" thing or just spend too much time playing PS :whistling:,) it's also sharing your character's emotions and getting to really care about them and the world around them. Oh, and it's just plain awesome. ^^

Rigwyn

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 09:53:37 pm »
Ps needs more people with Fyrre's personality and attitude :)

Its so true.. It can be rather fascinating when the rp suck your character into a given direction. Its like your fillowing that characyer, watching what they do.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »
It is a nice sentiment. You could try being one of those people Rig.  :P

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 11:02:15 pm »
it's just plain awesome. ^^

i second that!
Ps needs more people with Fyrre's personality and attitude :)

Its so true.. It can be rather fascinating when the rp suck your character into a given direction. Its like your fillowing that characyer, watching what they do.

that too

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 01:18:48 am »
it's just plain awesome. ^^

i second that

well i third this
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »
Fyrre smiles and gives a short purr to the comments on her post.

Now if only my character could be confident enough to rp outside of her guild more so I don't only experience that awesomeness once in a while... :sweatdrop:

And, um, if we're also adding what makes a good rp, it's nice when a character isn't completely good, evil, or neutral, but a mix of those in the same way that anyone in rl is.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »
Confidence will come with time. I'd suggest finding open social RPs to join so that there isn't as much pressure for you to RP a certain thing. The fairs at the outpost, the Stonehead and Red Crystal Den should provide opportunities for this kind of RP. :thumbup:

Phage

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »
Now if only my character could be confident enough to rp outside of her guild more so I don't only experience that awesomeness once in a while... :sweatdrop:
Your character roleplays?

As long as your character wont RP you in RL everything should be fine, you know?
Over there, lurking from safe distance.

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:56 am »
To me RP is characterization. That is taking some basic characteristics and letting your character's personality develop from there. For me situations may occur that can change your character but the basics characteristics should remind unless there a a traumatic event that effects that.

For example:
  If you have a nice character and they travel through the towns frequently and do not greet others on a regular basis they are not so nice
  or, if you have a bad character and they do go through towns greeting everyone they are not so bad. Unless they are secretly bad and that is the ploy they hide behind. I have met a few like that.

Because of those basic characteristics, it may or may not be hard to find a place for your character in one of the many of the on-going RP Saga's or shorter story based RP's. That's the great thing about Characterization is that it creates a struggle for your character. Should they cross that line or not? What happens if they do? Does your character have the experience to avoid the situation somehow?

This is how I approach these types of RP's. Many do not fit the characteristics of my character. There may be a small part in there that I can play and that is what I look for. Supporting cast would be a good term for it. That can be just as interesting as being the main player of the RP. One does have to remember that many Saga's and Story based RP's operate with a designed direction. So you have to adjust slightly to that if it exists.

Jaycol for instance is not great with weapons or anything else. He will never win a battle for you and because he upholds the CoD creed of peace he most likely won't join you either. He does enjoy a watching a good fight however, so is more likely to show up on a hillside with a supply of beer and make bets on which side wins. He also is not stupid so he isn't going to find himself as a victim 9 out of 10 times. His friendly nature may get him in trouble , but his experience in the outlands allows him to sense and avoid it most of the time. In short he never goes looking for it.

This is the style and approach I use. It may not fit anyone else's style or preference of play due to their choice, experience, available play time, or what they find entertaining. It is after all a game. The thing I like about PS is that it is open ended. Meaning that I control the direction of game play for my character. So if he falls off a cliff tomorrow, bangs his head, and forgets who he is and has to start over again and goes in a different direction that is okay too.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 10:58:33 am »
RP in a nutshell: Your character walks up to a person/people, your character will do something or say something to them that would make sense for your character to do/say. They should react in a way their character would. EVERYBODY you see in the RP server (skylab) is a character. That said: you can RP your character with anybody, what that anybody should do will always cause some form of reaction from your character, even if that anybody just ignored your character, or ran by quickly.

Side note: When people aren't playing a character in the RP server after they've been constantly told to stay IC, THAT is when they should be forcibly thrown into Ezpcusa. 

-sig by sarras

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 02:56:10 pm »
I think RP is tellingg a story, what you wanted your life to be IRL. But couldn't because its hard to live in the world  :@#\

Its telling your second life story, or just for fun :)

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 07:21:44 pm »
Your character roleplays?

As long as your character wont RP you in RL everything should be fine, you know?
All I did was screw up the wording there. It's not really a big deal. I'm probably just taking offense when none was meant, but, fine, I mean "...confident enough to say more than a few sentences to another character or otherwise interact with them instead of with just a glance and maybe a greeting, outside of her guild more..."

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 08:10:25 pm »
I think RP should be related to a book not a game or how the game my stop it, only the settings can restrict yourself. I also think RP lets you expand and let you go wild on your keyboard writing out an awesome description, story, or tale.
RP is great when there's someone to RP with who isn't hard and up them self thinking they are the best RPer and so they pick little holes in what you just said OOCly or ICly. I wish that there were more community activities going on, and more players to fulfil those activities or events with crazy out there RP. I also think RP is ruined by PLers and PLer type guilds who have background stories that make them have an excuse to PL.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 11:55:26 am »
To me RP is: you play a role in a theather and yliakum is your stage.

neko kyouran

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »
rp is getting to be or do things that one's self can't do or be in rl for one reason or another.  /shrug