Author Topic: An etymology suggestion(s?).  (Read 670 times)

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
An etymology suggestion(s?).
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:25 pm »
 Here is part of a page that describes the kind of thing I'd like to see. Not as much how hilarious it is to discover such a name, but more the fact that every name needs a history.

Since I just remembered, I would also like to ask about the "Klyros" city lore. Does it speak only of commoners from other cities referring to Amdeneir as "Klyros City"? Because it would seem very odd if a person if any race called their city after their race (is there a "Man City" or "Human City" is english speaking countries?).

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: An etymology suggestion(s?).
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:52:44 am »
There is even an "Isle of Man". ;)
__

No - of course, Amdeneir is as much "the Klyros City", as Gugrontid is "the Kran City", Ojaveda is "the Enkidukai City", and Hydlaa is "the Xacha City": Their origins are based on important events in the history of Yliakum, therefore they developed to the "hometown" or "capitol" of specific races (at least for the top level, the "dome", which is not even finished yet - and Yliakum has more levels below!) due to a majority of inhabitants of the specific race, a majority of buildings made in a specific race-related design, etc.

We just do not yet have "enough" public sources with all details about those historical events; you can find details about the Kran and Gugrontid in the Player Guide, details about Ojaveda and the Enkidukai in the PSWiki, few details about the (iron and Laanx related) Xacha in responses to questions asked to NPCs in Hydlaa ... but the history of the Klyros is a topic which is not yet well documented, except for rumours that the Klyros race is not much interested in sharing it with other races happily.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:56 am »
Calling it "Klyros City" etc is generally OOC, unless your character can't remember the name of the city he's never had the chance to visit. In which case, yeah, it's a quick easy description.

If I was a Frenchman living in the medieval era, having moved from one side of France, say, to another, hence not knowing the region well, and I was now on the border of France and Spain, I would say "I'm going to the Spanish city to sell some of my wares." if I couldn't remember the name of said city.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:01 am »
 Ah, those make more sense. Although, commoners wouldn't be the only ones forgetting that name; it's just specifying such implies that it's called that by most people in-character.
 So who fills in the history? I sincerely doubt that Talad could have prevented every war in the hundreds of years these people have lived here. They have scattered power and resources, so someone must have wanted to take something from someone else. There is also more than one religion, and although sensible people don't have trouble, the ignorant quarrel.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:46:48 am »
yes there have been wars at the beginning then they settled under the octarchy (simple version :))

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »
yes there have been wars at the beginning then they settled under the octarchy (simple version :))

where can i find the complex version?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »
At first in the "Player Guide", of course; chapter 3.4: Yliakum History.

Some details probably also in in-game books in libraries. Some of those might still have to be built, though...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving History.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:40 am »
 It's too bad that history is so skimpy for about▬ How many years has it been since Laanx's face was blasted?
 While reading the history, something else struck me pretty hard.
Quote from: 3.4 of the above linked player guide.
On the first level, the stolid Ylians claimed the absolute ownership of the ground that they were farming, refusing to share with other races. They built fences and walls, and began to look at books about armies and armed defense.
Who wrote the books if no one had built battlements before? Did the nomadic people settling really bring books with them? Instead of using oral traditions for their history?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:38:37 am »
probably many races aren't born or evolved in yliakum but in other places (even to quite high levels of development to big societies but then had to travel in search of a new place to live or it was a casualty). The octarchy could have also interest on hiding some of these things.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:01:45 am »
i've never heard this history...

also, is it necessary to say "they began to look at books about armies and armed defenses"? that gives the impression that ylians don't know pewp about warfare and lack veterans to teach soldiers. that sounds silly. were they pacifists?