Author Topic: Intelligent combat: Weapons and armors!  (Read 6563 times)

Perlam

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Masters of Move Guildsite
Re: Intelligent combat: Weapons and armors!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 04:17:42 pm »
i get what is stated here, but:

does leather armor have the agility and dodging advantage?

Heleckie: why is there always an apple involved
Heleckie: why not a mango

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:55 pm »
 It requires testing, instead of speculation. Although I still think it's going to be the usually rock-paper-scissors set-up, of some varying strength.

I would gladly help with testing if I can ever get the game to work again.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 01:35:56 am »
more like a dual layer of rock-paper-scissors.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 01:44:30 am »
Actually it's more of a triple layer rock, paper, scissors.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:02 am »
At first i thought this was cool, i was like great! another realistic thign devs made up!, but after i have dueled with this new armor, It sucks now, i made a thread in complaint department about it  :@#\

scotty110

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:08 am »
there was another game i was in that uses a special set of rules when dealing with armor, armor basically had decent protection against all types of weapons, but each armor type had a bonus to specific damage types, for example, light armor would reduce all types of damage by like 10 points, but it would reduced it by another 2 points if it's from blunt weapons due to it's padding. chainmail would probably reduced all damage by 15 points, and since it has a little padding would reduce blunt weapons by 1 more, and the chain links would reduce slashing damage by 1 extra point, plate armor would have a reduction of 20 points, reduce slashing by 2  points and piercing by 2 points. some would figure blunt weapons wouldn't do much good either but a solid shot to the chest would put a nice dent in it which would likely make the wearer have great difficulty breathing.

Main character on zeroping: Halbor

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:59 am »
 Chainmail wouldn't provide any protection from blunt force; or about as much as your skin.

System wise, I would give each attack a certain amount of force (working with the players strength and weapon weight). Then divide that force depended on both the weapon and the armour. For instance, if I were to slash you with a sword (not hack or stab) I would be focusing my kinetic energy on cutting, but if I struck my opponents chain mail (coverage modifiers go here), all of the cutting damage would be negated, but a certain amount would be transferred to blunt damage. Hacking would transfer more damage to blunt against chain mail, but would be a slower strike, and have a chance of getting stuck on lots of damage (to opponent or armour). So I guess the player should also have a quick, strike-type option, something that could be automated for people with super-lag (don't want to be stabbing with a hammer).
 Platemail is the one that gets general damage reduction, from being able to spread the force of any blow of the respective plate. Pierce a hole though and the attacker gets the drive it in for full damage.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:11:27 am by Nivm »

bilbous

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:09 am »
So why was kran skin changed from LA to MA?

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 12:19:53 pm »
I think you made a typo there with "chain mail" to "plate mail", since plate armour would spread the force of blunt and bladed blows alike, but would be pierced by a longbow shot.
Yo, as far as history goes, after invention of plate mail swords became literally useless, but for maces it was a different case entirely. These were considered the supreme weaponry on the battlefield and against plate armour, they performed quite well, actually. If I'm not mistaken, maces became a standard soldier inventory after the invention of plate mail.

And as to chain mail not protecting against blunt attacks, I think it was pretty standard to wear leather or some such underneath mail armour. I could be wrong on this one though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:23:08 pm by Draklar »
AKA Skald

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:19 am »
Yo, as far as history goes, after invention of plate mail swords became literally useless, but for maces it was a different case entirely. These were considered the supreme weaponry on the battlefield and against plate armour, they performed quite well, actually. If I'm not mistaken, maces became a standard soldier inventory after the invention of plate mail.

And as to chain mail not protecting against blunt attacks, I think it was pretty standard to wear leather or some such underneath mail armour. I could be wrong on this one though.

Leather padding was generally worn under chainmail, and platemail too.

Ura

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 04:26:38 am »
Akkaido is right under chain mail a gamberson(padded armor) was worn, also under plate mail.. plate also had chain in the exposed joints... and saying the invention of plate mail made the sword useless is a bit of a joke, as most soldier couldn't afford to wear maintain travel etc etc etc in plate mail.. the stuff is heavy, but well designed an doesn't limit your movement much surprisingly... but you get extremely hot wearing it thus cannot keep up a fight for long, or travel a distance in it. But yes a slashing attack of a sword against plate will most likely be useless so u thrust (with the pointy end) with the sword to penetrate the armor(yes i understand that most plate was angled to help stop this but its still possible). Plate mail is more vulnerable then chain(padded) against maces in the way that if the owner of said mace can dent the plate it stays that way so the person wearing it either cant breathe or move properly... or their head has a new shape.. i do viking re-enactment battle so i know a bit about this stuff but my knowledge on plate is limited ill admit... just my 2 cents... realism is fine but there is point were it becomes stupid to even try an achieve it.. an its a game realism can be ignored in most cases  ::)... sorry for the rant i cant get in-game atm... lol

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »
most soldier couldn't afford to wear maintain travel etc etc etc in plate mail..
True, due to the expenses, only upper classes could afford individually designed full plate armour + mount.
That's why infantry received cheap mass-produced version of it. Then again, I don't think common infantry could even afford full chain mail to start with.
Bottom line is, if plate armour wasn't affordable, it was so in ancient Rome/Greece and prior to 14th century.

But yes a slashing attack of a sword against plate will most likely be useless so u thrust (with the pointy end) with the sword to penetrate the armor
Only in an act of desperation unless you had a sword designed specifically for this purpose (such as tuck, but this wasn't a slashing weapon). Great swords were also used, but they were supposed to deliver blunt damage. After 14th century regular slashing swords were a thing of the past.

But I agree that realism isn't everything.
AKA Skald

ketta

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 04:03:31 am »
I'm not going to get into details, but I think it is idiotic that my effectiveness with a weapon is determined by my own armor class, which it is, under the new system.  If I can hit something with my axe, I should be able to hit it whether I am wearing armor or going naked.  Armor is a defensive mod and I think the game mechanics are really screwed up in this instance....imho

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 07:08:31 am »
great

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:38 am »
I'm not going to get into details, but I think it is idiotic that my effectiveness with a weapon is determined by my own armor class, which it is, under the new system.  If I can hit something with my axe, I should be able to hit it whether I am wearing armor or going naked.  Armor is a defensive mod and I think the game mechanics are really screwed up in this instance....imho

the armor *you* wear doesn't matter for your damage... it didn't before and it doesn't now