Author Topic: 7 issues that irritate a lot of people...  (Read 1506 times)

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
7 issues that irritate a lot of people...
« on: August 06, 2007, 06:31:27 am »
- excessive server crashes.
- getting stuck on many slopes on the maps.
- crashes that send you back to your spawn point.
- dodgy maps that cause people's OS's to freeze briefly every couple of seconds for a duration of about 20-30 seconds whenever there's a change of lighting.
- a questing system that allows only one quest at a time for fear of conflicts arising from a sloppy questing system (in terms of programming).. which maximises the tedious running back and forth people have to do. (Take Tolol's complaint posted just before this thread on the quest running back-and-forth and multiply that many times!!)
- mobs impervious far too often than they should be.
- messed up inventory system.

There were other complaints but these ones are specifically related to flaws/errors/crashes/bugs some of which seem to have hung around far too long... and I wasn't aiming to be petty... just listing the things that are most apparent and that I've seen others also getting irritated with.

Of course my petty complaints list is much bigger... but it'll cause the mother of all flamebait wars so I'll keep that to myself ;)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: 7 issues that irritate a lot of people...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:42:24 am »
- Excessive server crashes are an inevitable part of keeping a game open for the public during it's development.
- Getting stuck on slopes is irritating ... but not nearly as irritating as it was back when we died every five minutes in the hills from taking fall damage.
- The Bronze Doors map lag issue should have been fixed long ago.
- The quest system is being developed and in my humble opinion has been improving hugely, as it will keep doing. We can't expect any overnight changes that will make everything alright.
- Mobs being impervious ... see the first point.
- Messed up inventory system ... see the fourth point.

Now for my complaint ...

This place should offer more constructive complaints and criticism and less "I don't like this! Change it!".

(P.S.: I'm not targeting anyone here. Just my opinion on this list of 'most irritating problems with planeshift')
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:52:48 am »
I apologise for being insensitive... I should have wrote:

- It would be a good idea to fix the server crashes that people say happen excessively.
- It would be good to either remodel the maps or change the code that handles the maps so that we don't get stuck on slopes all the time.
- I'd like to suggest ammending the Winch and BD maps or maybe even the lighting system so that they don't cause everyone's computers to have a little problem repeatedly every time an in-game-hour passes.
- It would be marvellous if you could reprogram or tweak the questing system so that we can be able to do multiple quests at once without any negative repurcussions.  I'd love to see this feature come back if it's possible!?
- I love the encouragement to roleplay and mine gold which in turn makes my character find friends and become wealthy... but please could you switch the mobs on a little more frequently maybe by doing something special with the NPC-Client?!
- I like the new inventory system, it seems much much better... except that a few people have problems with item stacks.

But I was impatient at the time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:58:48 am by drah »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:21:31 am »
I apologise for being insensitive... I should have wrote:

1 It would be a good idea to fix the server crashes that people say happen excessively.
2 It would be good to either remodel the maps or change the code that handles the maps so that we don't get stuck on slopes all the time.
3 I'd like to suggest ammending the Winch and BD maps or maybe even the lighting system so that they don't cause everyone's computers to have a little problem repeatedly every time an in-game-hour passes.
4 It would be marvellous if you could reprogram or tweak the questing system so that we can be able to do multiple quests at once without any negative repurcussions.  I'd love to see this feature come back if it's possible!?
5 I love the encouragement to roleplay and mine gold which in turn makes my character find friends and become wealthy... but please could you switch the mobs on a little more frequently maybe by doing something special with the NPC-Client?!
6 I like the new inventory system, it seems much much better... except that a few people have problems with item stacks.

1: They are pretty much fixed and they only occured in the last few days, why make a big point out of it?
2: I don't get stuck that much anymore and the new /unstick command has never failed me in the new release.
3: I never had this, ever. Maybe it's just your PC?
4: Granted.
5: The NPC-client is already way more stable than in the former release, why make a big point out of it?
6: Then why are you complaining and why don't you report those "item stack" bugs as I've never heard of them.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:57:51 am »
We are working on fixes every single day. If Talad notices the server being incredibly unstable, he tells all the engine devs to concentrate their efforts on figuring out what is wrong. It doesn't always take a single day for the fix to arrive, but eventually it does and things return to a better state.

It's annoying to deal with as a player, but I promise you that we're not sitting twiddling our thumbs.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

stfrn

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • the beaver ex-dev :B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:46:38 am »
My complaint about the server crashing- the crash emial reports are pretty useless  :-\ It's one thing to get 200 emails in a weekend, but they all give the same infromation, and as far as I can just tell it's the usual x crashed and here's a log of unrelated infromation".

Yes, i know this is only an issue for about ten people, but it still bugs me  :P
player -> gm -> dev -> bum

ponder

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 05:28:02 pm »

Add to this winch being unavailable - or is that just me.  I had access until  a couple of weeks ago.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 05:34:47 pm »
I could write a huge laundry list of all the bugs currently in PlaneShift - but that's what the BT is for. What is the point of listing things we are already aware of and are working to fix? Relax, folks. Use this section for a better purpose.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Aiken

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:40:06 pm »

2: I don't get stuck that much anymore and the new /unstick command has never failed me in the new release.

6: Then why are you complaining and why don't you report those "item stack" bugs as I've never heard of them.

2. The /unstick command might be better but it does not work all the time. It can still move you from one stuck position to another stuck position or even leave you in the same stuck position. Leaving /die as the only alternative.

3. There have been a few complaints about BD on irc. I think it has also been mentioned in this part of the forum. My own experience is slide show if the client is run normally and smooth when -fullbright is used when in the BD area. xp1900, 1gig of ram, nvidia 7600gs.

6. There are already bug reports about the stacking and some of the problems. The autostacking was ruining crafted weapons. That has been changed very recently but it is still possible to ruin crafted swords if they get stacked with normal swords.  Also at least one thread in this part of the forum.
Beware the grue.

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:10 am »
1: They are pretty much fixed and they only occured in the last few days, why make a big point out of it?
4: Granted.
5: The NPC-client is already way more stable than in the former release, why make a big point out of it?

1. Because many other people have been, as such it was a regularly moaned about thing, thus I included it in my list.
2. It's true that it has improved a bit, but the problem still exists.
3. Reported by many people... and the GMs even teleport people back there because it's a known issue.. in other words.. NO, it's not just my PC.
4. I know.
5. Because many people are.
6. Because they've already been reported and complained about.

Thom.. no need to be defensive, I can justify every point legitimately and I'm not posting this to take swipes, just to summarize the main issues people are having.  I didn't mean for anyone to get wound up over it.

Why am I making an issue out of broken things?... because they're broken... and this is the complaints thread... isn't it?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:08:18 am by drah »

socia

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:25:26 am »
1 It would be a good idea to fix the server crashes that people say happen excessively.
2 It would be good to either remodel the maps or change the code that handles the maps so that we don't get stuck on slopes all the time.
3 I'd like to suggest ammending the Winch and BD maps or maybe even the lighting system so that they don't cause everyone's computers to have a little problem repeatedly every time an in-game-hour passes.
4 It would be marvellous if you could reprogram or tweak the questing system so that we can be able to do multiple quests at once without any negative repurcussions.  I'd love to see this feature come back if it's possible!?
5 I love the encouragement to roleplay and mine gold which in turn makes my character find friends and become wealthy... but please could you switch the mobs on a little more frequently maybe by doing something special with the NPC-Client?!
6 I like the new inventory system, it seems much much better... except that a few people have problems with item stacks.

1 > there were many different reasons for server crashes all got fixed and not because players moaned about them but because devs spent time debuging. Some players even helped with debugging and finding problems, so if crashes annoy you go into source and stop whinning or find another game, it has alfaor beta or any other dev flags for some reason..

2 > this is problem of every mmorpg some are better some are worse with this, it's being worked abut it isn't top priority + it isn't easy to fix or games like Lineage 2, WoW and others wouldn't have same problem

3 > BD is one of bigest maps in Ps so it showed engine problems, most of stuff is already fixed or being fixed in CS nothing what can PS devs do expect migrating on newer version which actualy doesn't work with PS atm at all. You should be able to get better info from people like Jorrit on irc.

4 > I'm not sure but probably top priority after server crashes and exploits.

5 > NPC client needs downtimes and needs more work > what about helping with it?

6 > look on cvs..

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:58 am »
No personal attacks and keep it on the topic of PS.  "10 reasons why PS sucks" is fair game

No need to get so worked up over it. Don't get defensive, get subjective ;).

It was a new release and as always things start out unstable because the new features haven't met the test of hundreds of players clutching at them and so the Devs don't see all the issues beforehand. I've found things have gotten much more stable recently and we all know the Devs are aware and working on fixing the bugs. I don't think making a list will make them prioritize any bugs over others. but while we are on the topic. A bug that's been... bugging me for ages is the one where you character stops between load points. Its been around for ages but never fixed because its not a gameplay stopping thing.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

socia

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 11:29:14 am »
load all maps, youch char will keep running

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 11:31:48 am »
my character stops at some of the sector boundaries.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

neko kyouran

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 05:16:40 pm »
I could write a huge laundry list of all the bugs currently in PlaneShift - but that's what the BT is for. What is the point of listing things we are already aware of and are working to fix? Relax, folks. Use this section for a better purpose.