Author Topic: A few things I noticed right off that should be fixed  (Read 1279 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: A few things I noticed right off that should be fixed
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 12:52:37 pm »
as for open source: there's a difference between engine and content - the engine PlaneShift is open source, the game PlaneShift (read: the content, i.e. more than just sample art/data) isn't

It should also be mentioned that this is not an uncommon practise. When Sun released to Open Source the Darkstar Project the games which employed it where not by definition Open Source. Since it being dropped with Sun's new master the project has continued on in its Open Source nature by the RedDwarf Team. So it could be with the PS Game Engine. Such a contribution is huge for the game developing community.

- Nova

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A few things I noticed right off that should be fixed
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 03:01:59 pm »
as for open source: there's a difference between engine and content - the engine PlaneShift is open source, the game PlaneShift (read: the content, i.e. more than just sample art/data) isn't

It should also be mentioned that this is not an uncommon practise. When Sun released to Open Source the Darkstar Project the games which employed it where not by definition Open Source. Since it being dropped with Sun's new master the project has continued on in its Open Source nature by the RedDwarf Team. So it could be with the PS Game Engine. Such a contribution is huge for the game developing community.

- Nova

similiar practice was done by idsoft with quake3 - you still have to buy the original game if you want the original one, however you may use openarena which is based on ioquake3 - the open source engine it's based on - as well and have pretty much all you may want, too