Author Topic: Dakkru Curse  (Read 1534 times)

Ralua

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Dakkru Curse
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:57:27 am »
Do you want to know why I keep leaving?
Dakkru's curse.
I know the reason that it's there is to prevent people travelling by death, but if people do that, surely they are only cheating themselves.
Having it there punishes you for not being a very strong character or a very good player.
I log in, do something silly, die. Spend the ten minutes finding my way out of the underworld and then have to spend my precious internet data quota on staying logged in unable to do anything.
I don't want to drop any of the items that I have spent literally years collecting so I just sit there for hours.
I don't play for long sessions, so it usually seems to take me about three login sessions for the curse to lift.
If there is a way to shorten the curse time, no-one is allowed to tell me because of the spoilers rule.
It's not encouraging me to come back and explore to try and find all those new areas that no-one is allowed to tell me about. If there even was anyone there to ask.
Anyway, thanks for making a pretty nice game, it just needs a few things in the mechanics to be tweaked to make it more playable.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Dakkru Curse
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:09 am »
Do you want to know why I keep leaving?
Dakkru's curse.

Looks like the strength cut to half rendered you overloaded. This problem frustrates players every now and then. Don't hesitate to ask for the help of others. There are many ways to temporarily buff up strength, or somebody could help you carry some things to a storage site.
This comment does not imply that I like the curse - it is abused to easily for gaining extra experience.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:13 am »
Ralua,
there's no way to shorten the Curse. But have you considered to put some of your items in storage so you don't become over-encumbered and can keep walking?

Any advisor who didn't tell you this in the help channel is a moron not well informed. Because technical advice about the death penalty and the existence of the storage NPCs are definitely not spoilers! ;)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:44:44 am by Minks »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:06:40 am »
How often did I see players having their characters drop items as far away as they could, to stand up, pass them, and pick them again, to get to the storage NPC step by step. Instead of asking anyone to help. That's not at all the purpose of a multi-player game...

With a little luck, one may even have found another character who is able to cast "Strength", which lasts long enough to get to the storage.
__

Whoops, this was cut off from "Losing players?", which is locked now...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:47:07 am »
The way Dakkru's curse works now, it's an extreme burden to new characters but characters who have high stats (especially strength) aren't really affected by it.

What if Dakkru's curse affected stats differently depending on their level?  So a person with 50 strength, 100 endurance, and 150 intelligence might see a 10% drop in strength, 25% drop in endurance, and 40% drop in intelligence.  Or something like that.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »
When I was new DR was a very scarey place:
  1) my version was almost always very dark. I learned to carry a torch at all times (didn't always work well).
  2) I spent a lot of time in there due to my habit of running off cliffs (which I still do).
  3) There have been some very interesting RPs in that particular place, not all of them nice to a newbie,  but most really fun! Call it a learning curve.
  4) We didn't have mounts.
  5) We didn't have storage.

Now, 2-1/2 yrs later, I still travel very slow in that realm.  And still "...fall and die", both in DR and in the rest of the world.  But hey, PS is a fantasy world, and a part of it is the DR. I won't complain if you spend 2.5 yrs building up a few stats and skills. I have an older friend who says,  "If you have a problem, build a bridge and get over it." Rather sarcastic, I know, but a good attitude actually.

Point is, I help whenever I can.  And when I could finally cast "Strength" I didn't have to carry so many potions!  Many is the time I helped with a heavy anvil, or guarded loot, etc.  Most of us will try to help. Bear with it, and think of DR as a 'learning experience".

Make it a challenge to yourself, and above all, have FUN.

Sanrai   :sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
If you carry a supply of certain kinds of teas you can drink them to get a temporary strength stat boost which may help you get to storage. I don't think it's as much or as long of a boost as the Strength Spell though.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »
Or just check your inventory before you do anything dangerous.  Make sure, for example, if you can carry 100 lbs/kilos/whatever, that you're only carrying 50 before you fight a monster you've never fought before, or jump off a high place, or whatever.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:40 pm »
When it happened to come back from the DR over encumbered I always found someone willing to share my weight ot the nearest storage :)

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:13:07 am »
When Pakerl first got trapped by the curse, she sat down and cried a bit. Suddenly a number of nice and helpful people gathered round her. They cast useful spells and put apples on her head :) . A few weeks later she joined the Family (at that time Acrobat's Family).

Just to show the good side of the curse...
Glad to meet you :)

Zoomzoom

• Traveller
  • Azeron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:52:47 pm »
The power of Dakkru's curse should scale with the power of the player, if possible.

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:52:02 am »
It does...

Zoomzoom

• Traveller
  • Azeron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 02:41:39 am »
It does...
Sounds like a perfectly balanced curse to me, then.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:03:30 am by Zoomzoom »

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »
It doesn't "scale" with the power of the player.  It always cuts a characters stats in half.  Which, you may say is "perfectly balanced," but you have to remember that cutting someone's carrying capacity from 90 to 45 is a LOT more a nuisance than cutting it from 300 to 150.

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:07 am »
 ...It always cuts a characters stats in half. .... 

But this is _exactly_ what is called scaling...