Author Topic: Dakkru Curse  (Read 1533 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Dakkru Curse
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:32 am »
You are trying to use the US Tax System as a standard for determining what's fair?!
Haaaa ha hah ha ha *cackle* ha ha ha *piggysnort* ha ha...

Nova piggysnorts as well.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 01:07:12 pm »
What I found odd about comparing the tax code to the rationale used to determine the time that dakkru's cure should last is that it would be far simpler to propose that it follow a simple curve or slope. I still don't quite agree with the idea though as I don't think it makes much sense from an in-character perspective. Would Dakkru really show pity on those with lower stats and lift her curse a little earlier? Also, from an IC point of view, how would stats affect the intensity and duration of her curse? Is her power relatively absolute or does the character have some ability to resist?  Given that she is a goddess, I don't think that a character could really resist her power much... but that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

From an in character perspective, we have no idea why a goddess would take pity on weaklings.  Or why she wouldn't.  Considering I (and I'm assuming everyone else  :P ) am a mortal I have no comprehension of what goes on in the mind of a god.

From an OOC perspective my point was that it would make things easier on newer players.  Cutting strength from 300 to 150 is not that big of a deal.  You can still carry all your equipment and then some.  Cutting a new players strength from 60 to 30 is extremely debilitating.  So having a smaller penalty for weaker players will make it a little easier on them.  Nothing is more boring for a new player than being forced to sit still for 30 minutes because they glitched off a cliff or got killed by a monster on the road.  That definitely doesn't help keep them in the game.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »
Since my arrival on PS (18.Jun.2010) my total visits to the DR has been 34 times. Yeah I keep notes on each death. That is a little less than once a month. This thread is irrelevant.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:53 pm »
It's not irrelevant to the new player who started this thread who quit the game because of Dakkru's curse.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »
It's a curse, goddammit. It's supposed to suck!

Ngwyankk: Oh woe is me. I have Bubonic Plague and now I shall die a virgin!
Nlthronpth: ROFLMAO!. I got it too yo, but I'm a noob so it only lasted for like 1.875 minutes at %6.25 severity.

:)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:21:45 pm by Rigwyn »

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »
Unfortunately if you took away the curse it would detract from in-game mechanics that support RP/immersion. But on the other hand it helps casual gamers. Which is really a conflict in all games, between the core players and the casuals.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:57 pm »
The point is right now it ONLY hurts new players.  When I die I can still carry all of my armor and equipment plus a hundred or so kg of stuff.  I can still spam spells at monsters.  Sure, my max magic is lower, but I have stacks and stacks of potions for that.  My combat stats are lower, but my high quality armor and skills mean I still barely get hurt unless I fight the real tough ones.  Plus it's easy enough not to get hit often.

But for new players, they end up not even able to carry their weapons and equipment.  So they have to tediously drop things and edge their way to Harny or sit there and do nothing for a half hour.  The stat debuffs can literally mean that they can't cast spells until it wears off because their magic bar isn't big enough for even a single spell.  They can't carry enough to make it worth mining or gathering materials.  For someone just starting it can really ruin the game experience.  So much so that someone came and posted on the forum telling you this is why they quit.

Note this is ESPECIALLY frustrating for new players when the death is not the players fault, like when lag while running causes them to glitch off a cliff or when the game randomly crashes during a fight and the player finds their char in the DR upon the next login.

What about a compromise?  What if all stats were cut in half still, but carry weight stays unchanged, or changed by a smaller amount?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:34:52 pm by tman »

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:39 am »
Is it possible for the curse to only affect accounts after a certain amount of play time logged?

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:11 am »
Is it possible for the curse to only affect accounts after a certain amount of play time logged?

it does....
Glad to meet you :)

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 02:25:53 am »
Really? I haven't played a new character in a year. If so, then the time might need an extension.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 03:11:44 am »
Last time I checked, noob characters were less prone to tiring out. Its not like the old days where you were constantly having to rest.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 03:27:23 am »
I remember those days. Those were the good -- wait, those days kind of sucked! :P

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 03:30:40 am »
What, don't you miss the jokes about "Smoking" and being out of breath?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 03:37:38 am »
The curse is just there to keep the DR from being a highway like in the past, so there has to be something penalizing... We know for a fact that it gets even less respect without a penalty. But it really doesn't matter how you slice it mechanically, either the DR will be an even easier revolving door thus further diminishing respect for it, or someone is going to complain that some new person is too burdened by the death mechanics be it curse, DR expansion, or some other method. The real question is actually which is more important, trying to make it completely easy on the new people that will give up after dying or maintaining some settings/gameplay harmony.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but that is the actual underlying problem. It's not so much that I have anything against making it easier for new players but I guarantee you that no matter how much you tweak the mechanics, someone will still feel exactly the same about the change. For those that may not remember, the curse was already tweaked at least once because it was too hard on new players.

I think Ralua just needs someone to help out. I've played on many characters and most of them untrained but it was typically not a problem on those rare occasions when I died. Crashing in the DR was usually my concern. I think it is a matter of getting better information to new players so they can cope with it. For instance, maybe new people should get blatant Avoid this monster! warnings for mobs they for sure can't handle, a proximity warning for when a mob that out classes you is approaching, a warning for eating after indigestion, a warning for getting too close to a tall ledge, and so on. That way, they are more aware of what can kill their character. Once you know what can kill you, it is much easier to avoid the more aggravating deaths.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:24 am »

People take this stuff way too seriously. Its not like you are going to like... die and not come back to life or something - or like PS is going to delete your account and block your ip address.