Poll

Do you agree with the current marriage system, or would you rather have it changed?

Yes. PlaneShift is set on medieval times, and back then, people weren't lenient with homosexuals.
10 (32.3%)
Yes, but I wouldn't mind if it changed. My beliefs shouldn't dictate how others act.
2 (6.5%)
No, it's discriminative towards the players and it needs to be changed.
14 (45.2%)
Don't know, don't care.
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Homophobia or "Why can't my character marry the character they love"  (Read 1641 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Homophobia or "Why can't my character marry the character they love"
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:12 am »
PS is not set "in Medieval Times" but fantasy-themed with some vague "antique" flavor. In "Medieval Times" there were no octarchs, arenas, polytheism or ulbernauts, let alone krans or enkidukai or a massive underground world. Also in many societies some forms of homosexual marriage were allowed in ancient times, although were usually restricted to transgender males who were treated (more or less) as females (female homosexuality has almost always been "invisible").

That's inaccurate at best. Homosexual marriage was never allowed in ancient times for reasons explained above. Transgender males were extremely rare, an it was a practice restricted only to a few ancient cults like Cibele's where the ritual emasculation transformed the subject in a priestess of the goddess.

Anyhow if Yliakum can be democratic polity in which the officers are (theoretically) elected and where women can be soldiers and vigesimi, I see absolutely no reason to exert discrimination on the issue of same-sex marriage, which nowadays is pretty much standard, just as female emancipation or racial equality is.
Yliakum is not a democracy and the Octarch are not elected.

As for having children: children and pregnancy are utterly absent in the world of Yliakum, so whatever. The only consideration should be love.
Inaccurate. Children and pregnancy are not absent, in fact are an aspect of the society which has been roleplayed many times and can be considered an integral part of the settings.

This thread should be closed.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 12:30:38 am »
Haha Rig, so glad to see you still stirring the pot with your wit and chains, [Lhaa says hi o/]

Siteya and the DOX have been performing same sex ceremonies [and will continue to do so, if approached] and no wrath has befallen them by their beloved Goddess. I also agree with Caraick, the middle ages is a far throw from what we have in the other wordly fantasy of PS. I am quite sure from my history lessons that in medieval times women did not walk around the cities half naked.

I vote to remove that marriage button, it is wee bit to easy...or masquerade as a lemur of the opposite sex with a mask and marry whom you want to, start a Laanx love revolution!

Pierre

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 02:21:27 am »
Please don't close the thread, it's a great discussion -

I think Yliakum should continue with its awesome and progressive nature - we have women who can wield axes as well as men, racial discrimination is outlawed, it's just a great ancient progressive society - and absolutely, let all of us get married to each other, regardless of gender.  I think it is a great idea - the gender restriction should be removed on marriages.

Please do not remove the marriage option - being married is awesome and immersive and full of drama - I love it - and trading with some noob but accidentally almost marrying him cracks me up every time - so big YES for marriages, it helps our world.

I do think that removing the gender restriction would eliminate the pockets of clandestine same sex creatures who - back in the old days - seemed to be more explicit romantically, kind of...mm...like a bit too explicit and I did wonder if it was because they felt kind of outlawed, that the romantic aspect had to be so in-your-face.

But that isn't the point.  The point is Yliakum is darling and totally unique and progressive - the only open source mmorpg around, we should not have male-female explicitly written into our marriage rule.  But we have to keep marriage, half the rp I know of would have died otherwise - and even right now, there is a pending marriage that might fall through and I swear it keeps things interesting  :love: :love: :love: :love:

* Pierre throws a pebble into gossip and smiles.  Cheers all, big love  :love:

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:19 am »
Haha Rig, so glad to see you still stirring the pot with your wit and chains, [Lhaa says hi o/]

Hi there Siteya! It's been a while. Glad to see you again. [ Tell Lhaa I said hi back :) ]

I vote to remove that marriage button, it is wee bit to easy...or masquerade as a lemur of the opposite sex with a mask and marry whom you want to, start a Laanx love revolution!

I agree. Down with the button!

PS is not set "in Medieval Times" but fantasy-themed with some vague "antique" flavor. In "Medieval Times" there were no octarchs, arenas, polytheism or ulbernauts, let alone krans or enkidukai or a massive underground world. Also in many societies some forms of homosexual marriage were allowed in ancient times, although were usually restricted to transgender males who were treated (more or less) as females (female homosexuality has almost always been "invisible").

That's inaccurate at best. Homosexual marriage was never allowed in ancient times for reasons explained above. Transgender males were extremely rare, an it was a practice restricted only to a few ancient cults like Cibele's where the ritual emasculation transformed the subject in a priestess of the goddess.

I'm no historian, but I'll leave this here. In brief, the legality of homosexual marriage and relations were not the same in all medieval societies and changed over time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_medieval_Europe

We should keep in mind that Planeshift's history is vastly different than real world history. It's medieval likeness is rather shallow at best therefore, we should not rely too heavily on the use of real world history to legitimize or exclude certain practices.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 07:35:14 am »
You know, guys, just because you can propose to someone it doesn't mean that you're ensuring a legal marriage. I am all for homosexuality, but I think in this setting it should be outlawed, or at least on some of the levels. Obviously people are going to propose to people of the same sex, which is going to start some great RP. Also, it could make some great setting development RP protests that become so big that the Octarchy has to rethink this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:45:06 am by Demagul Riwe »