Author Topic: Coercion of freedom of speech  (Read 1381 times)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Coercion of freedom of speech
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 12:47:02 pm »
If you're unable of giving a meaningful opinion instead of laughing at someone just to stroke your own ego, I'd say you should refrain from commenting. After all this is a serious complaint. It's not about the content, but about the way it's said.
Freedom of speech for some but not others, nice.

It isn't a serious complaint because a fatally flawed game feature allows some characters to be trapped in marriages with abandoned characters and not some others. This failed functionality is a direct result of pandering to the players when there were a lot more players and was frequently abused to annoy others. It needs to go the way of the late unlamented /introduce. Noble ideas but impractical.

Why can't I play a deranged trans-humanist? I've done all the BF quests, it has to leave a mark. -- probably why I can't get the dakkru quests...
You are right though, it is only habit that keeps me coming back to these forums and boredom that brings me back to the bug hunt. I abandon 50% of the replies I write before posting.

I'm all for your freedom of speech, but don't derail threads just for the hell of it, especially out of the Hydlaa Plaza section (you know, the OOC section!)

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

bilbous

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 02:07:55 pm »
Seemed perfectly on topic to me, opening with an exaggerated paraphrase of
actually, the ones who define what's OOC and IC in game are the players
Then a shout-out to the T in the LGBT you claim to be agitating on behalf of and finishing with the advice that this isn't worth your time as the only way to win this is to have the functionality removed, if that can even be called a win.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:13:04 pm »
Seemed perfectly on topic to me, opening with an exaggerated paraphrase of
actually, the ones who define what's OOC and IC in game are the players
Then a shout-out to the T in the LGBT you claim to be agitating on behalf of and finishing with the advice that this isn't worth your time as the only way to win this is to have the functionality removed, if that can even be called a win.
I don't get your post. Can you clarify a little on what you mean?

bilbous

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:19 pm »
Everything I wrote in my first reply related directly to something in the original post or the threads that inspired it. How could that not be on topic?
Everything that followed built from that post in response to objections raised by subsequent posters.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »
As I responded to the second locked thread yesterday, I waited for an official response which has been posted by Eonwind and Talad.  I have perhaps four relevant points to add, if I may?

1) If responses are from the "same" 3 or 4 "trolls" than I supposed Roled is included in that category- a discounting name-calling technique I personally find offensive. Beside that , even "trolls" get to talk... In game I use the "block feature" for people I don't want to speak with- in the forums, I often but not always simply skip reading posts from people whose opinions don't interest me. Feel free to discontinue reading my posts if you think I fit into your exclusionary category.

2) http://www.newnownext.com/gamers-threaten-to-pull-50-convention-if-indiana-gov-signs-anti-gay-bill-into-law/03/2015/
This is why this issue is important . It is not JUST PS, it is what one is willing to defend in the world at large.  How can we tell our friends, "I play this game but it's homophobic, but I play it anyway?"
 This game is NOT a representation of "medieval" times- as several have pointed out, we do not have open sewage to contend with, orphaned children do not fill the streets, nor so far have I heard of female avatars being burned at the stake for learning herbalism. The reference to "historic realism" represents a specious argument.

3) In answer to Cairn's comments, and Eonwind's comments, and others, this is the post I entered on the first of the locked threads.  Please consider I wrote this 3 days ago

{from 3-23-2015} "Since I play a gay elf, married and widowed in PS, and have for 8 years, I offer my tiny opinions. First, from a rp level, events like marriages are useful in a social role playing game, as occasions to gather without gore.  Birthdays are understated in the Dome since PS does not have and perhaps discourages child characters. Deaths, true deaths, are governmental and the result of major crimes, so perhaps not as festive as an occasion. Guilds are so slim, there are hardly any Guild based parties.

Second, from a "realism" level, tho' Ebon's cynicism is evident, the point is that from a settings standpoint there is no ethical morality in PS- we murder and hack and eviscerate to our hearts and stats content. Since there is no moral underpinning to the settings, beyond requirements of PG legalities, there is no settings reason to have marriage at all as a mechanics option. Rp can be rp.  Just don't do it in the streets and scare the horses. 

Third, a paradigm of inclusiveness. Were this game being played 150 years ago to 75 years ago in the USA, there would be slaves of color and indentured laborers and female models would have no jobs nor any social status, and older characters or poor characters would be limited to poor farms, and mounts would be ridden to death then slaughtered for glue, since those were the social norms. Social norms change. In our global reality now, more and more nations, religions, laws, sects and peoples have determined that gender identity is not a factor that limits one's humanity nor one's rights to full human status.  As our society advances, as theology and philosophy advance, the definitions of sentient beings and equality become more inclusive. So on a global evolutionary level, marriages become agreements to partnerships that are lasting and binding and carry both emotional and social status and recognition.   

So by all means let's get rid of the marriage button and simply rp the stories, realities and fantasies of equality in this experimental world view.

Thanks for listening."

4) Finally for this comment from me.  I told some player friends last night ig that this is the first time I've felt unwelcome in PS.  I now feel quite unwelcome by the organizing powers. However, in game, some suggestions arose....  May I suggest you look in game in the next week or so for IC response to this issue. I do have a pm here in the forums -" Roled"- feel free to pm me if you're interested.

This is not an inconsequential issue- it is not an issue of "a few trolls."  If we replace the words "same sex" marriage with "interracial" marriage or "inter religious" marriage, I would hope people of good conscious would continue to press for open discussion and resist discriminaton.  Some people vote with their feet, but that strategy in my opinion does not actually solve problems nor create change.  As the Zen koan states, "In order to break the mold, first you must fit it."

I am trying to be civil.
Respectfully submitted,
Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Wocib

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 12:59:03 am »
[You're are OOC... Please stop]    :ban:

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:09:13 am »

I don't think you know where you are.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 04:24:06 am »

Yes, this is an OOC (out of character) discussion on the forum (which is not part of the planeshift game world). We are speaking with one another as players, not as our characters hence we do not need to limit this conversation to what our characters know. Likewise, our characters would be incapable of participating in this discussion in the first place as they do not have computers or internet access. ( nor would they have any reason to search for this place )

If you are referring to Roled's character, then no. His character is not OOC. If you think he is, then I encourage you to demonstrate why in another thread unless you feel that such a point would be on topic.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 08:08:05 am »
Just to clear things up, that some people have the same preference IG and OOC

I am queer and so is Siteya...although she has more lesbian tendencies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:12:02 am by Siteya »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
LigH- former guild mate and still, I hope, friend- your comment...

Freedom of speech gives you the right to express your opinion, but gives me the right to ignore your opinion just as well. So please, let me ignore your opinion when I decide I'm not interested in it. Stop forcing me to listen to you by repeating it wherever I look.

If you want to play PlaneShift, play with the settings. If you want to play against the settings, rather play a different game.

In the USA when hundreds of thousands of students protested the Vietnam War, such words were hurled at them- suggesting a permanent trip to Canada.  And in the Civil Rights struggle, when people protested being called "negroes" and the other words, the response from Jim Crow was "If you love Africa so much, go back to where you belong."  In Germany, do I really need to remind you of your own history?

If I want to play in the virtual country of our/your community but find a particular enforced settings reality that discriminates against me abhorrent, are you REALLY suggesting I do not belong in PS? Is my virtual 'difference' so appalling to you, really?

Your once and future virtual friend,
RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »
Roled, there are so many different topics. Therefore there are so many different decisions which of them interest me how much. I'm trying hard to decide well which topic is worth listening to, for me, because it belongs to me or to many, and which is not, for me, because it misses a target on purpose.

I am indeed interested in activities against discrimination of minorities. In our world, in real life. But to me, it doesn't make sense to transfer problems of this world into another world where they don't fit. It wouldn't make sense to protest against fracking or TTIP inside Yliakum. In my opinion, demanding support for "unusual" sexual orientation in PlaneShift doesn't make much sense either because it is not the main topic of this game at all.

When I play PlaneShift, I would rather want to see topics related to the world and society of Yliakum covered in roleplaying plots. Aren't relations between humanoids and felines or between aquatic and terrestrial elves much more important for characters in Yliakum? I don't see any technical limits implemented regarding marriages between races where receiving offsprings would be most improbable (with the exception of Kran which are obviously enough different enough). Did that ever cause a shitstorm? Why not ... because that topic would not provoke enough trolling?

I just don't like such false implications. "You don't allow homo marriages, therefore you must be discriminating them" is just as wrong in game settings and code implementation as they are in the German language. Nouns have a gender in my language because the language developed that way, not because we want to discriminate people who don't match the gender of a word describing e.g. their profession. Limiting a speech to the use of only one gender does not mean to discriminate the other, it only means to keep the speech fluent and reduce complexity. Same for software implementations: Less probable constellations are not ignored to discriminate them, but to reduce the complexity of the code, to avoid bugs caused by higher complexity. You already know how to circumvent these limits: Ignore the technical implementation.

Why do I reply here at all. It will only attract the language surgeons who are only interested in how my opinion could be misinterpreted and abused for scolding me. No matter how I would try to explain myself, there will always be people who find a nit to pick on. Even if that means to wander from the subject. And Roled, I do not even mean you, primarily.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:00:20 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 04:52:19 pm »
I am indeed interested in activities against discrimination of minorities. In our world, in real life. But to me, it doesn't make sense to transfer problems of this world into another world where they don't fit. It wouldn't make sense to protest against fracking or TTIP inside Yliakum. In my opinion, demanding support for "unusual" sexual orientation in PlaneShift doesn't make much sense either because it is not the main topic of this game at all.
There is no TTIP in Yliakum. There are gay relationships. And unusual? Just take a look in game, it is not -unusual-.

When I play PlaneShift, I would rather want to see topics related to the world and society of Yliakum covered in roleplaying plots. Aren't relations between humanoids and felines or between aquatic and terrestrial elves much more important for characters in Yliakum? I don't see any technical limits implemented regarding marriages between races where receiving offsprings would be most improbable (with the exception of Kran which are obviously enough different enough). Did that ever cause a shitstorm? Why not ... because that topic would not provoke enough trolling?
Races, excluding Kran, can interbreed just fine. Also, you calling our legitimate complaints trolling is a little below the belt, don't you think? Let's stay fair.

Why do I reply here at all. It will only attract the language surgeons who are only interested in how my opinion could be misinterpreted and abused for scolding me. No matter how I would try to explain myself, there will always be people who find a nit to pick on. Even if that means to wander from the subject. And Roled, I do not even mean you, primarily.
Don't play the victim card, nobody is trying to harm you.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 05:05:40 pm »
I start to feel being unusual because I play this game as a straight hetero... ;) <= This was sarcastic. In case someone missed that.

Races can interbreed. Roleplayed. There are no real children supported by the game mechanics. This is no reason to complain. / Gays can marry. Roleplayed. There are no gay marriages supported by the game mechanics. Why is this a reason to complain, instead?

^ Added a chapter.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:15 pm »
There is no OOC mechanism that relates to having children, there is one to marrying only people of the same gender, easy as that.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »
And it was implemented for technical reasons. Not for discrimination.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador