Author Topic: Death has no impact  (Read 1904 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Death has no impact
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:14:53 am »
yesterday, again, like countless other times, someone died. And after dying, the victim pretty much casually walked back from death ( or atleast it seemed like so). This pretty much makes the impact of death 0. True death has some impact, yes, as it is permannent, but normal death? Nobody seemed to care anymore. Honesty after seeing countless deaths, slash from a sword or taking arrow to a knee seems to be more injuring and having more impact, wherein death seems like good way to heal injuries. So i would apreciate if normal death could be made more severe.

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Death has no impact
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
And I would appreciate killing you near the plat mines (after you get loaded enough with ore) for starting such a topic. You are half-dead when you get back from DR.
There is a hoard of games with permadeath out there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:11:40 am by Mairon »
DONT TREAD ON ME

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:12:52 am »
And I would appreciate killing you near the plat mines (after you get loaded enough with ore) for starting such a topic. You are half-dead when you get back from DR.
There is a hoard of games with permadeath out there.

what are you even talking about? I didn't say "one should always permadie".

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:28:31 am »
Nor did I think you said. Just imagine being half-dead and ask yourself, whether it is painful or not.
However, I thought about something like getting slightly weaker after every death, with Dakkru draining your energy to the DR, but it should not be that plain IMO.
The debuff needs to be more covert. Maybe an attack/defence modifier debuff.
DONT TREAD ON ME

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:45:53 am »
Its not about debuffs or buffs, but IC wise. The IC effects are far more important than mechanic debuffs.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:02:11 pm »
People complained bitterly when Dakkru's Curse was introduced. They called it too harsh. People also complained about death being too trivial which is how we got Dakkru's curse. I think the take away is that it is hard to use mechanics to enforce an IC perspective.

However, I'm willing to bet the death realm needs to be expanded so people could theoretically spend all their time in there before harsher penalties could be enacted.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
yesterday, again, like countless other times, someone died. And after dying, the victim pretty much casually walked back from death ( or atleast it seemed like so). This pretty much makes the impact of death 0. True death has some impact, yes, as it is permannent, but normal death? Nobody seemed to care anymore. Honesty after seeing countless deaths, slash from a sword or taking arrow to a knee seems to be more injuring and having more impact, wherein death seems like good way to heal injuries. So i would apreciate if normal death could be made more severe.

Dilihin, I feel your pain.

( Not really, but it's a neat thing to say )

Some possible solutions to this ( intended more for players new to RP ) :

* Role play your death in the death realm. Some players used to have alts in the DR. I remember occasionally running into one particular un-dead Diaboli who probably would have been less hospitable to my character if she discovered his true intentions. Then again, maybe she knew but was pretending to not know. She was age-bound and thus, could not leave the DR without instantly withering into a pile of wrinkled skin and pus, so did not really know what was going on up above. She might have heard rumors, or then again, she might not have cared much. It was interesting to run into this character each time and have another encounter and hopefully discover a bit more.

* Injure, but don't kill. In the Outlaws, we used to chop off our enemies tails, fingers or locks of hair and then have something to trade back at a future date. Having your enemy's tail in a nice little box also gives them IC motivation to summon a party and attempt to take it back. As for rot, we have magic and alchemy and all that jazz. Something can always be done to preserve or restore that little meat nugget. Worst case, you hire a crafter to make a prosthesis of some sort or just go nubby from there on.

* Play multiple characters. When one dies, you can at least switch to another so you're not out of the game completely. ( by multiple characters, I mean distinct characters, not just another placeholder for the player. )

* Hell, if there is interest, you could just role play in the death realm. Set up a community of un-dead ( well, technically alive if you believe what you read ) players in the DR.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:22:28 pm by Rigwyn »

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:38 pm »
Its not about debuffs or buffs, but IC wise. The IC effects are far more important than mechanic debuffs.

To me this seems a contradiction: "IC effects are far more important than mechanic debuffs" but then you ask a "game mechanic fix".
If you think really that way you already have all the tools you need to fix the situation: roleplay :)

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »
Was just about to say that, Jawir.
You can roleplay nearly anything.
DONT TREAD ON ME

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:45 am »
If Death should have a larger impact then I think the only thing that needs to be changed is the lore, as it is it is posed as something not really all that bad which is why Larili, after having died multiple attempts, doesn't mind it as much anymore. I should however have RPed the discomfort more but I was quite tired at the time.
Larili Soriol

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:15 am »
Was the lore changed at some point? In the past it was definitely described as a traumatic experience.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:29:46 am »
There's actually a book dealing with death in game, entitled "My Observations on Death and Dying", by Londris... what's-his-face  ;D

I know there's a copy that can be found in the hospital in Amdeneir, which is where I first saw it and read it. Allow me to place a relevant excerpt:

"Of course the process is excruciating. From what I'm told, and my own memories, it is as though your entire body is being torn asunder. The aftershock of it leaves you weakened, nauseous, dizzy, disoriented and experiencing a multitude of other symptoms I've been told about."

That's just a small little excerpt, I highly recommend anyone interested reads the rest of the book! :D
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:23:19 am »

Those books (all of them) are key to understanding death, the death realm and Dakkru in PlaneShift.

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:44 am »
I have also an idea that Dakkru`s curse time could be calculated randomly, maybe based on the person`s mental and physical stats too, which could be a resistance factor. So if the curse lasts from a few hours to several weeks and 10 minutes is an hour of IG time, it could take up to about 3 hours.
But in that case the time when Dakkru still doesn`t need new players should be expanded.
DONT TREAD ON ME

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 11:36:04 am »
I started on EZPC which was the non-rp server and was scared of death and the Death Realm. When Ellis did finally get killed, it took 3 days (and I was playing many hours a day back then) to find my way out. With the number of players we have online at this time a new player may well find themselves in the same position.