Author Topic: Death has no impact  (Read 1906 times)

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Death has no impact
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:26:14 pm »
I started on the non-rp server as well. While it has been too long ago to remember how long it took, getting out of the DR wasn't a task I finished in a day, let alone an hour. The portal is not the most prominent feature in the DR either, and it's not as if a new character who has suffered the traumatic experience of wandering through the Death Realm will feel inclined to walk into that ominous mouth!  :'(

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:37 pm »
While it can be hard for newbies to find their way out ( yes, even for me, first time i tried planeshift i quit because i couldn't find my way out.... -_-), it has 0 challenge for old players. Maybe adding a penalty for dying often in x time? I think that wouldn't be too harsh and doesn't really punish for dying now and then, only if you abuse death.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 02:01:14 pm »
What about those that worship Dakkru?

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:11 pm »

Players are certainly welcome to impose their own death related limitations on their own characters.

ie. "If my own character dies, I will only allow him to resurrect once but only if someone else does the rez, and there will be a bleak price or consequence."

Usually though, it's more about wanting someone else to impose restrictions on other people's characters.   :-X

Another option is to just completely ignore anyone who does really silly things, but that road has it's pitfalls too.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:28 am »
How my hearts beats...or thus stops...for some time, before once again beating yet some how restricted... its a story, if its not a story here, its stupid. Read the lore...tell your story. Some times you character should die, and some times they should live. its a story. That is the point.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:29:23 am »
I feel so inexperienced here with Rig having 1900 posts. :P

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 05:34:45 am »
Those that worship Dakkru welcome it, Waesed. Your life force that`s drained during the resurrection goes into the Dark Crystal, thus making it (and Dark magic as well) more powerful.
DONT TREAD ON ME

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:10 am »
We use to have some great rp by some that worshiped Dakkru.

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »
Used? Are there any such people today? Because I haven`t seen anyone, just two, logging for a couple of hours only once.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:15:37 pm by Mairon »
DONT TREAD ON ME

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 06:39:28 pm »
There was even a guild wherein most members were BF. Haven't seen them around of late.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
I was rereading this recently, and it brought to mind a synopsis I read of Riverworld.

I never read the original Farmer version, so I don't know the details, but there was something known as “travel by suicide” or such:  people who are killed get resurrected out of the river the same way that they arrived initially. 
Painful, to be sure, but like people have always done, some people learned to accept something and take advantage of it despite the pain.

Anyway, I agree that the original problem was a result of bad RP. 
Should there be on-screen notifications reminding users of the terrible pains and anguish that occur as a result of dying, and which persist when you return to the land of the living? 
Maybe a throbbing graphical tint which complements Dakkru's Curse?  Hehe.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »
Can't we just let that incident die? *ba dum tss*

But the reason I RPed Larili as annoyed more than hurt (although execution was still lacking either way) is because of an IC book, which I probably misremember(ed) in which the results were downplayed and people did it for the trill enjoyment as a sport until the long term effect were discovered. Although it most definitely was bad RP on my part that was not the cause.

Reading about the lore and how things are enjoyable to me but a lot needs to come from IC books, being restricted to the library to read those books isn't something I like and I don't think it should be the case. The obvious objection to putting the books online on for example the wiki is that players will cheat the "go find out which plants Nolthrir children play games with" quests. but I don't think there is a problem with that as except for walking to the library the player still fulfilled the purpose the quest has: learning about the world.
Larili Soriol

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 02:05:36 pm »
Reading about the lore and how things are enjoyable to me but a lot needs to come from IC books, being restricted to the library to read those books isn't something I like and I don't think it should be the case. The obvious objection to putting the books online on for example the wiki is that players will cheat the "go find out which plants Nolthrir children play games with" quests. but I don't think there is a problem with that as except for walking to the library the player still fulfilled the purpose the quest has: learning about the world.
sometime ago we discussed about releasing some of jayose library in the wiki section of planeshift and we agreed it would be fine to let the players read some lore outside the game so they can learn what they need to RP.

However, as of now, we have not the resources to start this task.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »
sometime ago we discussed about releasing some of jayose library in the wiki section of planeshift and we agreed it would be fine to let the players read some lore outside the game so they can learn what they need to RP.

Tell me which books you want in the wiki and you'll get them there. No questions asked.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:57 pm »
Literally just copy and paste, plz <.<